PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please - First time entering prints

Huffaker
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I would like some critiquing on the following images - it's our first time sending prints for judging, but please don't hold back... Images are NOT final edited as I know there are areas need to be dropped for the lights.

On a 0-255 scale what's the highest number any single area should be?

I'm looking for critique on impact, or possibility of impact, composition, technical, cropping, and name suggestions if that's okay.

Huffaker
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
And the final image...

Mark_Turner
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Quickly, what I see is that these all look soft. The 5th has some possibilities, I think. The 3rd needs more room in the image, if you have it. The last has too many distractions.

Others will have more educated advice. I have not competed in 10 years.

Huffaker
01-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Okay - as I said the images are not finished and have not been sharpened at all. We typically print our images on the softer side because we don't like the sharpness of digital, so that's something we're going to have use this as a chance to gain experience!

GregYager
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
We typically print our images on the softer side because we don't like the sharpness of digital, so that's something we're going to have use this as a chance to gain experience!

Are you shooting them soft or adding softness in post?

Huffaker
01-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Hey guys - it has to be something with the method in which I downsized the images using Gimp and then bringing them into the uploader here... I see the softness in the files, and they're not like that on our machine...

Besides the softness issue does anyone have any thoughts?

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Hi Clint,
Nice images. They all look soft to me on my monitor too - must be the processing.
Are you planning to submit your images as prints or digital files? If you are submitting them as prints, it is usually a good idea to print them just a slight bit darker than for the wall. I usually pull my output high end down from 255 to around 248 to darken them just a bit for printing so they don't wash out under the judging lights. If you are sending the images for judging as files, then pulling down your high end output will not help you since it will just reduce the brilliance of the highlights when viewed on the judging monitor. Different techniques needed for different presentations - I'd suggest lowering your maximum down just a bit from the 255 max, but not much.

Huffaker
02-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm going to have to look and see how I can set the maximum output to 248... I've always heard about this, but never known how to do. Maybe because I never really had a need to do so!

Thanks for your input. The softness definitely has to do with the way these images were processed and posted online. They are NOT soft on my $2,000+ 30" calibrated monitor at the studio. Not sure what caused that.

I might post a finished one here soon...

Huffaker
02-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Here's a finished and sharpened file from our studio workstation.

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm going to have to look and see how I can set the maximum output to 248... I've always heard about this, but never known how to do. Maybe because I never really had a need to do so!

Thanks for your input. The softness definitely has to do with the way these images were processed and posted online. They are NOT soft on my $2,000+ 30" calibrated monitor at the studio. Not sure what caused that.

I might post a finished one here soon...

... it's the bottom slider in the levels menu - right side

lisaasp
02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
The football player appears to have no legs. It looks like you have a texture on this image - maybe that's what did it, but his pants have no highlights. It's a little bizarre looking! I'm sure it's an easy fix...