PDA

View Full Version : One more critique

joemama
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Ok... I hate to pester you by asking for so many critiques. I promise this will be my last one for a while. I just want to find direction so I can get a good start in the competition arena.

Below are two versions of an image I shot for a model portfolio. I used butterfly lighting in a clam shell set up. First, I'd like to know how strong the image would be at competition and any comments that could either help it be better or help me make the decision to tank the image altogether. Second, I'd like to know which version is the strongest... B&W or Color.

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxBW.jpg

Goldie Lux (Platinum)

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLux.jpg

Goldie Lux

GregYager
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Joe, It very well could be my monitor(laptop) but she looks really harsh to me.

Posting images for advice is a large part of what this forum is about so post away. It's refreshing to have prints to discuss as opposed to politics.

joemama
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Woooops! You are right... I posted the wrong versions. The ones you saw were for something else I was working on for a video project. I changed them. Thanks again Greg.

Joe_Galioto
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
joe
i have a concern about her mouth
i'm seeing a bit of a clenched teeth, if your like me you probably have several shots before and after that are similar
does anybody see what i do with the mouth?

Avery_Munger
01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah I see it too... I think because of her strong jaw line combined with the partially open mouth it gives the illusion that she's clenching her teeth.

Nice images. I'm curious what you're overhead light was - BD, octo, or SB? I can't quite tell if the catch-light is round or square.

GregYager
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
I see it Joe. Just doesn't look natural.

Joe_Galioto
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
joe
another thought for future shoots
the necklace is distracting with the low-key background
looks like it's made of seashells
maybe if if wasn't so bright

joemama
01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
joe
i have a concern about her mouth
i'm seeing a bit of a clenched teeth, if your like me you probably have several shots before and after that are similar
does anybody see what i do with the mouth?

Actually that is natural for her. What you are seeing are her top front teeth. I will post another image with her smiling so you can see what I mean. I liked the look of the semi-opened mouth because of her expression and her jaw-line. But that is me... not the majority...

Here is a different shot (two versions.. B&W and Color).

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxV2BW.jpg
Goldie Lux (Platinum) V2

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxV2.jpg
Goldie Lux V2

joemama
01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah I see it too... I think because of her strong jaw line combined with the partially open mouth it gives the illusion that she's clenching her teeth.

Nice images. I'm curious what you're overhead light was - BD, octo, or SB? I can't quite tell if the catch-light is round or square.

I used a 36"x36" softbox on a Photogenic Powerlight 1500 metered at f11. Underneath I used a white reflective panel and the kicker was a 10"x36" soft box (strip) mounted on another Photogenic Powerlight 1500 metered at f8.

Angela_Lawson
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Joe,

Just a thought, but what about flipping the? So that our eye reads from her shoulder up into her face from left to right?

joemama
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Joe,

Just a thought, but what about flipping the? So that our eye reads from her shoulder up into her face from left to right?

Like this?

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxV2Flipped.jpg
Goldie Lux V2 Flipped

Rick_Massarini
01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I like it better unflipped. You lose the line of her shoulder leading into her face when it's flipped. The highlights on the face look a little too bright - maybe take them down a bit and soften the area below her eyes a bit.

Tss1203
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Joe, I like this image a lot. I have no idea how it would do competition wise, but I like it.

Can you maybe tone down her teeth a little?

Joe_Galioto
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
don't flip it

joemama
02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Alright. Based on feedback from Rick and Amy I have made some subtle changes to the highlights on the face and teeth. I want to be careful with how much I soften her because she has been gifted with naturally soft skin. Almost perfect... many ladies would kill to have her skin. So I think it would really encroach the "plastic look" if I dared to push it further.

And Mr. Galioto... I also toned the necklace down per your suggestion yesterday. Thank you.

Which one do you prefer... B&W or Color?

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxV3.jpg
Goldie Lux V3

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/GoldieLuxBWV3.jpg
Goldie Lux V3 (Platinum)

Vance_Wagener
02-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Joe,

I hope you don't mind me re-posting your image but I didn't know how to describe it without getting long winded. The only things I noticed that stick out is the bump on her back and the hair at the top where it meets the mat.

Hope it helps.

Joe_Galioto
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
although i'm a fan of b&w
i think i prefer the color

mr galioto?

joemama
02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
mr galioto?

I thought you'd like that. I could have said Joe but I didn't want people think I was talking to myself again...

joemama
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Joe,

I hope you don't mind me re-posting your image but I didn't know how to describe it without getting long winded. The only things I noticed that stick out is the bump on her back and the hair at the top where it meets the mat.

I don't mind at all. If you notice my last image post you'll see that I healed her accidental tumor and trimmed down the hair sprout a little. I was on the fence about removing it altogether because of the nature of her hair. But if it causes you to be distracted... it will likely cause others to be distracted. So... chop chop... snip snip.

kristannev
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I also am not an experienced judge and have only competed once so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I notice there is a small highlight in the bottom corner that keeps catching my eye. I know it is a small detail but those make a big difference in scoring. During my mentoring session at Imaging this year I was told to get rid of things that draw your eye away from the subject. Perhaps clone it?

Karen_Walker
02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Joe, I think you should get a jump start on competition by entering our state competition. Or at least come and watch. We'd love to have you!

joemama
02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Hey Karen... long time no see! So tell me more about this state comp. Do you still have my email?

Karen_Walker
02-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Joe, I'm sending you an email now. There's more info at PPM.org.

Rick_Massarini
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM
....Mr. Galioto...
That means that you've entered into the realm of the seriously OLD - Welcome Aboard, "Mr. Galioto" !!! hey, you knew it had to happen sooner or later so now you get to join the rest of us ...