PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Competition Entrants Question

Angela_Lawson
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I have a question regarding submitting a commercial piece of work. I am doing some commercial work for a company, and had to create a catalog cover from all of the individual images that I photographed. I'm wondering if this is something that would work for competition and what catagory would I actually submit it in. I'm a little confused on the particulars.

I'm going to post the catalog cover as is, and tell me whether I should submit it like it is, or put the original images along the side and the final product all on a 16x20 print? Does that make sense? Please help!

BTW - it's just a small web version. Hopefully at least big enough for a quick look. I'll email it to whomever would like to take a look at the full sized version. Oh, and I do know of a couple of things I need to fix regarding a few shadows, as I've talked with Ron already. He suggested talking with someone else about competition though.

Thanks all!

Jeff_Dachowski
01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Angela,
There is a separate commercial competition. You could actually enter a PO case, an EI case(Master Artist) and a Commercial case. The commercial competition is very difficult. Take a look at the loan book and see what has come through as commercial entries.Jeff

GregYager
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Jeff is making an understatement when he says commercial is tough, it's downright brutal! Those commercial folks have set the bar really REALLY high.

When I first saw the thumbnail of this image I thought it was a cityscape shot. Then I saw it large and realized it was products instead. I like the meticulous work you've done here but my eyes keep bouncing around looking for a focal point in the image. It would be nice to highlight one somewhat larger to provide a landing point for the eyes but then again, as you know, commercial is not one of my strong points so take this opinion for what it's worth.

While typing this another thought hit me....what if you took the parts and made them into a cityscape like I first suspected it was? Just a thought.

Rick_Massarini
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Jeff -
See my PM

Jeff_Dachowski
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Angela,
You can enter commercial entries at IPC, but when you do it counts towards one of your entries in PO. I was thinking of it as panels do, and PEC convenes a separate panel of judges who are qualified to judge commercial work to score your images. This is done with wedding albums as well. What does this mean? Well, you really dont want a juror who never shoots commercial work to score your images. Of course they know the 12 elements, but someone who is versed in that discipline is better equipped to be able to judge degree of difficulty etc. Same thing for wedding albums. You dont want to hear...."I dont shoot weddings...how hard can they be.....70!"

SO there are only two competitions PO, and Electronic Imaging ( Artist) but if you mix your case....portrait, wedding album, commercial, and illustrative, your images are likely to go in front of three different panels. Of course at IPC, the chances of two of your images going in front of the same panel is low.
Jeff

Angela_Lawson
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Jeff - So would something like this be better enter as an EI print then? And if so, how well would it do?

BTW - Thanks for the input so far!

joemama
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Jeff is making an understatement when he says commercial is tough, it's downright brutal! Those commercial folks have set the bar really REALLY high.

I want to see... where do I find this stuff!?

Jeff_Dachowski
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Jeff - So would something like this be better enter as an EI print then? And if so, how well would it do?

BTW - Thanks for the input so far!
Angela,
EI is a bit of a conundrum. Remember, you are not necessarily the maker in EI, just the Artist, so...the jurors are looking for all the 12 elements, and technical proficiency along with a degree of difficulty. This type of image is what EI is for. Unfortunately, I think the degree of difficulty would find it landing in the average category. Not what you want to hear, I am sure. Now...if it makes you feel any better....I have entered 8 entries at EI, and so far, I have a total of................................................ .................................................. .................................................. 1 EI Exhibition merit! EI and Commercial are super hard! Do yourself a favor, and get things exactly where you want them in PO, then, when your ego can sustain terrific defeat.....enter commercial!
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
I want to see... where do I find this stuff!?

There's no way to show just how "detail dependent" the Commercial and EI criteria are since there is no way to show you the "near miss" images - those that were so close but just didn't make it into the merit category. The best that we can do on line is to show you images that were successful and landed in the ASP Masters Loan Collection. So it's difficult to show just how good some of those commercial entries were that were not accepted. About the only way to see is to go to SEPPA or to the IPC to view the actual judging...

(Note: the District judging in the Commercial category and for the EI competition is being held only at SEPPA for the time being)

Commercial and EI are, by their very nature, very technical categories, and are judged by jurors with very keen technical abilities. Small technical flaws can prevent an image from meriting. Sometimes, an image that could possibly have merited in the Illustrative category might not merit if it was entered in the Commercial category or in the EI competition. You are looking at the opinions of different groups of jurors. Commercial and EI are specialties, and are judged by jurors with extreme expertise in those specialties and judged under the strict criteria of a Commercial or Electronic Imaging panel. Illustrative is judged by the same group of judges who judge Portrait and Wedding images. There are different groups of judges who judge Commercial and Electronic Imaging.

Remember also when choosing categories that Commercial category merits apply towards your Master of Photography Degree along with Portrait and Illustrative category merits. In the images that qualified me for for my Master of Photography degree, only two of the images were from the Commercial category (from much earlier in my career when we were primarily a commercial studio) - it's really not easy to hang an image in the Commercial category.