PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and ideas on this image

joemama
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Here is another image I am considering for competition. I have three pretty solid images but I am on the fence for about 5 other images (including this one). But I personally like this image so I thought I would post it for some feedback. Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/Deanish.jpg
Deanish

GregYager
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Joe,
See what it looks like darkened about .5-1 stop and flipped in a dark mat with key line. I can see detail in the highlights of the skin but I think it would benefit by being toned down.

BrittAnderson
01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Take my opinion as someone who knows nothing about competition....but it feels unnaturally yellow...not the sunkissed yellow you would expect, or the color cast from the weeds/plants yellow....a very harsh yellow.

But I like the strength being portrayed with the high contrast.

joemama
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok... I pulled the highlight side back a half stop and cooled off the image. I'm not sure what color to use for the mat... Black?

http://jmpstudio.net/portfolioPortfolio/galleryOther/Deanish2.jpg
Deanish Version 2

GregYager
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Black was the first mat color that came to my mind as well. Did you try flipping it to see what it looked like with the light going left to right?

Rick_Massarini
01-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
The greatest point of contrast is the black shirt/jacket he has on. It is out of key with the rest of the image. Maybe if you darkened the background a full stop it would help, but I think it will be a challenge to get this one to merit status.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Joe,
Think you are getting closer her, but the open loop could have been stronger on a tight rembrandt pattern. I am also fighting to get into his eyes. Partly because there is only a pinlight in there, and partly because he has such a strong eyebrow line.
Jeff

joemama
01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
The greatest point of contrast is the black shirt/jacket he has on. It is out of key with the rest of the image. Maybe if you darkened the background a full stop it would help, but I think it will be a challenge to get this one to merit status.

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for... I really like this image because of the strong contrast and I didn't know this would hold the image back. I'm not going to spend any more time on this image because I don't think there is anything I can do (non destructive) to make it conform... I have others that I think have more potential.

Thank you!

joemama
01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Joe,
Think you are getting closer her, but the open loop could have been stronger on a tight rembrandt pattern. I am also fighting to get into his eyes. Partly because there is only a pinlight in there, and partly because he has such a strong eyebrow line.
Jeff

Please elaborate on what you mean by getting a tight Rembrandt pattern. Of course, I completely understand the difference between Rembrandt and loop... Are you saying that this would be better if this were Rembrandt instead of loop? Smaller triangle of light on the subject's right cheek? Should the shadow off the nose be closer to the shadow on his right cheek? Softer light?

Thank you!

Jeff_Dachowski
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
I think a rembradnt instead of an open loop would look more deliberate. You could have turned him just a touch to his right, and moved your camera over to your lrft to nail this pattern.
Jeff

joemama
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
I think a rembradnt instead of an open loop would look more deliberate. You could have turned him just a touch to his right, and moved your camera over to your lrft to nail this pattern.
Jeff

Ah... I understand. Thank you.