PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Heike_O'Day
01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I can't make up my mind.
After posting a few images that I hadfirst chosen for competition and then was (rightly) told they wouldn't do much better than average. Now Im questioning my other choices.
Please help and critique. It's greatly appreciated.

GregYager
01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Heike,
You've got some good, sellable images here but you're having the same problem I had when I started competition. You're pulling from images already shot and they weren't shot with competition in mind. Don't let this stress you out. If you score 75-79 that's above average which is what many of us shoot on a daily basis. I drove myself crazy trying to find competition worthy prints and I kept saying "But my clients loved them". This is actually why I became involved in competition, because if my clients loved my work before they'll be knocking my door down once I get my style under control. Fortunately for me they did and I had an incredible year despite the fact that my first entries weren't all that impressive. You have 2 cars here that if they're shot from the right angle could have some potential. Go back through these images and find some that either show the entire car or maybe a straight on "grill shot". Don't worry about editing them for now. Just post the full frame images and we'll help you pick the one's with the most potential. Your work is better than you think but it can be a bear trying to accomplish all 12 elements into one print. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

Cheri_MacCallum
01-28-2012, 06:18 PM
You've posted lots of pics over the last few days so it's difficult to comment on each one. The biggest thing I have noticed is ...lighting (quality and directional) the time of day chosen for the images and the directional of light aren't optimal. If you can get a list of the 12 elements posted somewhere here...or if not email me at Cheri@artbycheri.net and I'll send you the article that was featured in ppa magazine. The ones I've seen here have while your client may be happy, the have more of a snapshot feel and not something that would do well in print comp.

Go to a local print comp if you are able. It in itself is a great education.

I commend you in your quest to learn...keep it up!!!

Heike_O'Day
01-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Thaks Greg and Cheri, you're both right.
Last yr in my first district comp I got 2x 77, 74 + 73. Guess, not too bad for a first timer ;-)
I do have to take a step back and breath and pull out the list of 12 and rethink my approach. thanks for the eye opener!!!!