PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Canon

tewart
01-28-2012, 03:38 AM
I just was reflecting on my experience and wanted to thank Canon for having faith in young, probably blind and probably deaf photographer. I was walking the show floor at Imaging USA and noticed a young man who must have been blind or super sensitve to light, so much that he had to keep his Oakley mirrored sunglasses on while doing a demo on using their flashes in their booth in the convention center. I think he may have been deaf as well, he had some type of hearing aid that seamed to look like a Jawbone bluetooth headset, also on while giving his presentation. I just wanted to thank Canon for giving this young man a chance and support his cause by allowing him to give a demo in spite of his handicap(s) and wish him the best in the future.

Linda_Gregory
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Tom, I think I'm reading some serious sarcasm here, not sure of your purpose but I will state that I am highly affected by flash. If I'm not prepared or at the mercy of a point and shoot camera with the red eye disco strobe, I can get a severe migrane that also affects my vision.

Was there some part of the Canon presentation this guy gave that you did not like?

bwalker
01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
It's amazing the differences people see in the same piece of writing. I thought it was an extremely nice gesture to compliment Canon on this. I'm assuming the sunglasses point to an issue with the brightness factor yet despite that possible handicap you have an individual who is apparently more interested in photography than most. I wonder who's right?

Don't worry. Someone felt I was too personal in another thread. And, I was personal because we were discussing a personal opinion. Never wrote anything in an attackful manner. Just goes to show you never know with certainty how someone will react to something, especially when in print.

Stephanie_Millner
01-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I also read this as a (brilliantly) sarcastic piece, too.

Joe_Galioto
01-28-2012, 03:28 PM
well now i'm totally confused
can tom explain

bwalker
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM
2 for sarcastic? What am I missing here? Where is the sarcasm?

Amy_Hall
01-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I didn't see the sarcasm either, Billy. I took it for a genuine expression of appreciation of the thoughtfulness of a large company. I guess we'll have to wait for the original poster to come back and clear this up.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I see sarcasm about the rockstar mentality all the way.
I thought at first maybe it was the presenter who was making fun of themselves! I didnt go to iusa, so I didnt see the presenter with the mirrored sunglasses.
Jeff

GregYager
01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I found it to be sincere as well. I think the description of his hearing aid would lead people to read it as sarcasm but I highly doubt that was intended.

The device is called a Cochlear Implant but unless you or someone you know has one chances are good that you wouldn't know it's name.

I have seen work created by a blind photographer and I was amazed at what I saw.

Joe_Galioto
01-28-2012, 05:37 PM
i missed the sarcasm too
the concept of a blind photographer is interesting for sure.
imagine creating 2 dimensional art and never being able to see it.
same as a deaf musician, i guess?

GregYager
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
i missed the sarcasm too
the concept of a blind photographer is interesting for sure.
imagine creating 2 dimensional art and never being able to see it.
same as a deaf musician, i guess?

Well he was "legally blind" which means he had some vision but it was very limited. Thank god for the diopter adjustment on his camera because without it he wouldn't be able to shoot anything.

Kerri_Garrison
01-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm kinda reading sarcasm as well. He didn't just say sunglasses and a hearing aid. He made the point of saying Oakley...isn't that expensive designer? and jawbone bluetooth... again expensive? status symbol? (don't really know about that) so what exactly does he mean? Someone to busy or too cool or too well known to remove the glasses and phone during his presentation? I'm curious to hear more...

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I walked past the Canon booth in the trade show and there was a speaker wearing mirrored glasses and an earpiece - I thought it was strange for a speaker to wear mirrored glasses while speaking to a group, but I just ignored it and kept going towards the back of the trade show hall to a meeting with a friend...

joemama
01-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Chalk me up as a vote for sarcasm...

Ed_Sharp
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
At first glance The sarcasm flew right over my head, but after reviewing I see it .:p

Angela_Lawson
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow - this definitely goes to prove how easy it is to misinterpret something that is typed vs. actually speaking with someone. I hope our original poster will come back and at least tell us whether his intent was sarcasm or not. (It totally flew over my head, if it was).

kristannev
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Not sure if the post was sarcastic or not but I wanted to share that HBO made a great documentary about photographers who are "legally blind". It is called "Dark Light: The Art of Blind Photographers"; It is really fascinating.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

GregYager
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the forums Kristan!

kristannev
02-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks Greg! :)

joemama
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm. Especially when properly used and strategically directed...

Linda_Gregory
02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Oh, Joe. I LIVE a sarcastic life! But when this forum was young, people realized very fast that sarcasm doesn't translate easily to text and so green text meant sarcasm so there would be no mistake.

joemama
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh, Joe. I LIVE a sarcastic life! But when this forum was young, people realized very fast that sarcasm doesn't translate easily to text and so green text meant sarcasm so there would be no mistake.

Ahhhh... thanks for the heads up. ;)

Fuzzy_Duenkel
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
What's up with posting it, then never coming back to explain, defend or help others with the confusion???

Hit and run is illegal in most states.

tewart
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Sorry for any confusion...Fuzzy.

joemama
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey Tom,

So tell us... what's the scoop? Sarcasm or serious? Either one is fine... it would just be cool to know.

Other than that, how'd you like the show? I couldn't make it but I know I missed out big time... again.

Rob_Wilson
02-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Sarcasm that was very well done.

Gary_Henderson
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
The sunglasses I can see.....the Jawbone...not appropriate.The lights in those places can be very harmful to some people, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. The Bluetooth is just smarmy.