PDA

View Full Version : Comments Please

Jorge42
01-27-2012, 04:54 AM
I'm up in the air with these, trying to get a feel if they are worth investing time.
I applied the the mat and stroke to get a feel of the finish images and also to practice what has been discussed recently about them.
I think the competition bug bit me:)

Heather_L._Smith
01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the world of competition, Jorge! Of the three, the first image would be my first choice, except that her eyes/expression don't convey much of a message (and she almost has a lazy-eye-type-feel to her expression). The other two images feel like they've been cut out, and the lighting is pretty harsh. Remember, you want to block from overhead and create directional light to really give your subject dimension. These images don't actually show that, so I think you'd be better off finding something that has the qualities already rather than investing time in images that don't have those qualities to begin with.

I just posted on another competition thread and said that first and foremost you have to have technical expertise in a competition image... if it passes that test, then you need to have impact and all of the 10 other critical elements of a competition image.

Have you ever sat down with one of the PPA Loan Collection or PPA Showcase Collection books? They're incredible sources of inspiration and help you get a feel for what makes a merit (or Loan) print.

Any time you look at an an image and can honestly say "wow" the you know you have something special.

Jorge42
01-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Thank you Heather for your in depth analysis of the images, I truly appreciate your time.

Heather_L._Smith
01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
You bet, Jorge! Would love to see more of what you've got... it's definitely a learning process, and picking images is the hardest part!