PDA

View Full Version : Competition Worthy?

Heike_O'Day
01-26-2012, 09:10 PM
SUMMER HEAT
or
IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT

I am looking for feedback on the image and on the title. Is it worth entering in comp? What would you change?

Rick_Massarini
01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Nice image. Above Average category so the mid 70's, I think. Images with spot coloring don't score as well now as several years ago - the effect is somewhat dated. It might have some possibilities if the colored portions had more of a graphic feel to it - it looks (from the small image here) like the black and white portions have been given a graphic treatment while the color section is as captured, so it's a bit disjointed - it might be just be artifacting from being reduced to a small size - let me know.

Heike_O'Day
01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
It's almost all 'as is'.
I did some contrast changes and blurring. And some adjustments on the lady in the polka dot dress ;-)
I'll work with the image a lil more and see if I can come up with something better.

Rick_Massarini
01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
It's just difficult to see the detail in the small image here on the forum.

Kaoru_Kohashigawa_
01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Sorry Heike, I wouldn't enter it. The contrast is too drastic and can't really tell what's going on in the ceremony. I agree with Rick, the color highlight and b&w technique is dated. I hope this helps!

Heike_O'Day
01-27-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm glad I asked! It's one of my favs and the client loved it - but that doesn't have to mean that it's competition worthy. That's why we ask other pros for their opinions! And not the client!
;-)
Thanks for your feedback!

Rick_Massarini
01-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah, competition is tough - you have to distance yourself from the image, the emotion you felt when you captured it, how much the client loved it, and how much they spent when they bought it. Ordinary client work will usually not do well in competition - it has to be something unusual, different, unique, and executed flawlessly. But the good thing is that once you get into the competition mindset, you start looking for something for competition in every job you shoot - you do a little bit of a "reach" at every session just to find that one file to drop in your competition folder on your desktop - so your overall quality goes up since every session becomes a competition session - your work will improve and your clients will reap the benefits. Don't give up - it's a little difficult getting started, but it is very rewarding once you get up and running. Just be prepared to have your first few images not do so well or get shot down by those who are critiquing the images since it takes a bit of orientation to get your head aligned with the fact that a negative comment is not a personal condemnation of you - the comments are made to the image, not to the maker - a difficult concept to get a grip on, but once you get it, you start distancing yourself from your work and things just start to happen.

Heike_O'Day
01-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks Rick =)
I have to say I love getting critiqued on my images. It just makes me wanna go out there and do better. I won't rest until I get that 100 score! Someday it'll happen! =)
God bless you with many picture-perfect days! =)