PDA

View Full Version : First competition

carisak727
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
I am considering entering my first competition at our affiliate convention in Feb. I am having a hard time deciding what to enter, so I was hoping to get a little feedback here. Please excuse the watermark, I have these on flickr so and I don't leave them "unprotected" there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49676158@N07/6763282681/

Opinions? Advice?

carisak727
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Well shoot...that didn't work very well...I'll see if I can figure out why the links aren't working...

GregYager
01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Type this on each end of the link (IMG) (/IMG) Only thing is you have tho use the square brackets [ ] [ ]

I just realized you have the image set to "All Rights Reserved" so it won't show the image address, just the page address.

carisak727
01-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Ok, so I am new to Flickr...or at least haven't been using it since I joined a couple years ago. What should I have selected instead of "all rights reserved"? I appreciate the assistance!

Rick_Massarini
01-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Just downsize them and in your post go to "Go Advanced" and at the bottom of the page there is a section where you can add attachments - they might be smaller than if they were linked in, but at least you can get the images up into the forum.

carisak727
01-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Yippeee, Thanks Rick! Until I figure out why the linking won't work at least this gets them on there!

Rick_Massarini
01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
I believe that these 4 images will all score in the mid 70's, which indicates Average quality professional work. They are nice images, but I don't believe that they are going to score in the merit category.
The lighting on all of the images is relatively flat and the posing in the first, second and third images is relatively static.
In the first image, you have some direction to the light, but the pose is static and her eyes are closed which tends to reduce the impact of the image. If her eyes were open and she was looking back towards the camera, it might have more promise.
In the second image, it might look better if they had taken a step back away from each other and leaned inwards towards each other - it's just a stiff looking pose.
In the third image, what looks like a blurred arm (or something) is very distracting.
In the fourth image, the bride's eye looking toward the camera while the groom is looking at the bride gives a disjointed look - like they are not in the same moment - he's looking at her but she is looking at the camera.

I don't want to discourage you the first time you venture into competition and I encourage you to send them in and attend the judging - hearing the judges comments is a great educational experience - and you'll learn from the comments made about the other images in the judging as well as your own. And I apologize if my comments were rather straight from the shoulder, but that's just the way I am (sorry 'bout dat...).

carisak727
01-26-2012, 01:29 AM
No apologizing needed! Thank you Rick. This is the first time I have even considered entering anything and I am just trying to figure out what I want to submit. I have 6 other wedding images that I am also considering, but I wasn't sure how many to put on here at once! I will look through the others with your above comments in mind and see if anything else would work...

Thanks!

carisak727
01-26-2012, 01:51 AM
A couple more...

Heike_O'Day
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
seeing your first posts I think I remember that you can only enter ONE image per subject - meaning you can't have the same bride in two or more different images.

I'll leave the commenting on the quality of the images to the more experienced photographers :)