PDA

View Full Version : One at a time.

Linda_Gregory
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I am going to reenter competition this year after taking too many year's off. I changed direction in my career (went to portraiture) and wanted to enter something in that field but felt pretty incompetent. Now I'm trying it out but here, first.

http://www.lindagregory.com/ppacomp/1015.jpg

This could be a case of being too close to the person. If I enter it I am contemplating a title such as:

Katie June Wants Snow

Ready for Winter

Perturbed with No Snow

Thoughts on both the image (keep, change, dump) and the title (right direction, wrong direction, scrap)

Thanks!!

Avery_Munger
01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I vote for "Ready for Winter" as a title.

As I'm mostly a IPC competition newbie, I don't feel I could offer the best feedback for that, though.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Linda,
only have a moment. This image is flat lit. Have we spoken about how flat lit portraits generally do yet? Judges want to see depth. We want to see that the maker can transport us back to the session so we can feel the sweater, and live in the details. I bet you have images in your bag of tricks that accomplish that. This one does not. Sorry if it sounds harsh, it is not meant to be. You have better stuff. Lets see some more!!
Jeff

GregYager
01-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Linda,
In your defense I can see by where the light was positioned that your goal wasn't a flat lit image. People wearing all white tend to act as their own reflector so this would be one of those cases where a black gobo on camera right(subject left) would be helpful. I'm with Jeff in that I'm sure you have others but before you give up on this one all together, go back and look at the original image before portraiture. It may have the depth you need. I occasionally run portraiture on subjects in all white and my ratio drops from 2:1 down to 1:1.(yes, I shoot low ratios in some high key situations)

Linda_Gregory
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys, just what I needed! Yes, she was not flat lit (the catchlight is the original) and yes, the white reflected up onto her face.

As my first statement....I'm too close to this little girl and it tainted my judgement. That's what you guys are good for! On to the next one.

Sarah_Johnston
01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
To me it looks like she was cross lit. Do you use a fill light? I see a shadow coming from each side at her nose. I would suggest either turn the fill way down or off and use a reflector instead. She has such great hair and wonderful face. I would get he back into the studio and play with different lighting. If you do let me know as I have a bunch of little tricks to help get her ready for competition!

Linda_Gregory
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Sarah thank you. Yes, there was a fill light.

Here is the original

http://www.lindagregory.com/ppacomp/1015-original.jpg

I'll be contacting her mother to see if she has time to bring her in. Since I started photographing this family, mom and dad have parted ways, Katie is their first priority but mom has returned to school and I may be their last priority. :)

Jeff_Dachowski
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Hey Linda,
I knew the catchlights were quite right. So....what you did here was to light with a main from the left, creat shadow and form, and then remove nearly all of the form you created by adding a fill light. Try this again with just a fill card.

In the old days, we used to use an actual fill light all the time. Now with the sensitivity of sensors, and processing of files, a fill card generally gives a more current and sculpted look. I dont think you want a huge ratio heer, but some would really help it out. Turn off that fill light.
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Got it. :) I think I fell into the idea that says, "Light that kid, she's on the move!" and then fell in love with her expression.