PDA

View Full Version : Use of keylines/border on digital submissions

sindisue
01-24-2012, 07:39 AM
last year i entered competition for the first time using digital entry and went 1/4. i opted for the feedback option and on all of my images the judge mentioned they would be better with a border or keyline. can anyone advise me if there is a standard width or color of border that is generally best for competition? for keylines, are they supposed to be a certain distance away from the image itself? is there a standard thickness one should use when using a keyline? i am determined to go 4/4 this year. thanks in advance for your advice on this. ~sindi

Jeff_Dachowski
01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Sindi,
Good for you! 1 for 4 means 25% of your images rocked the panel. This was your first time out, and want you to understand that you did well. Yay!

Now, Keylines will get you a lot of answers. When I position an image on a board, I use the rule of thirds to determine my placement, and typically add an inside stroke to the image to sperate it from the background color of the board. Generally I choose a color or tone of where I want the judge to look. So.....if I want the judge to look at how blue a girls eyes are, I sample from that blue. I then squint my eyes, while dropping the opacity of the storke until it almost disapears. I then bump it up a little bit, and I am done. I never do double strokes or deckled strokes or anything in which to draw the judges eye outside of the image.
Jeff

GregYager
01-24-2012, 07:18 PM
My method is almost identical to Jeff's. That's probably because I learned a lot of my competition info from him. As for the size of the key line I generally make mine 4 pixels wide.

Rick_Massarini
01-24-2012, 10:18 PM
You can find some examples of good use of key lines and presentation from the ASP Best of the Best show (the ASP Masters Loan Collection)

http://www.asofp.com/portfolio.asp

sindisue
01-25-2012, 12:59 AM
thank you for all the information. our district opens in just a few days and i want to make sure that i give it all i have this year.

Kerri_Garrison
01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I love that video. So inspirational. Wish the image went by just a little slower...

Jorge42
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
I need a bit of guidance on this, I went a looked at the video on getting the image ready for comp but I could find information on how to actually make the mat and keyline. I was wondering if there is a simple step by step tutorial that I could look at?
Thanks in advance

Tss1203
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Jorge, what editing software are you using?

Jorge42
01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I have both Lightroom 3 and Cs4.

Tss1203
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
okay, let me see if I can answer your question :)

I usually create a new document in PS to whatever size I want to print my image and drop whatever color mat/background. I copy paste my actual image onto the document and then right click the layer for blending options. Then just make a stroke whatever color/opacity you want :)

-you probably know how to do all of this already so sorry if I'm repeating something you know :)

Jorge42
01-26-2012, 03:47 AM
@Amy Believe me I didn't know of the right click to obtain the stroke. Thank you very much.
One last thing how do you judge what size to make the document in relation with the image that you will be dropping in. Do you use a percentage?
Jorge

GregYager
01-26-2012, 05:53 AM
One last thing how do you judge what size to make the document in relation with the image that you will be dropping in. Do you use a percentage?
Jorge

I usually start by making a file that a standard size larger. Let's say your edited image is 12"x18" at 240dpi....Make a file 16"x20" at 240dpi then drop your image in and see how it looks. If the mat seems too small try making one that's 20"x24" at 240dpi

joemama
01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Are key lines a requirement? Do you lose points for not submitting with mat and key lines?

Jeff_Dachowski
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Are key lines a requirement? Do you lose points for not submitting with mat and key lines?

Joe,
I know you are newere to this, so let me point out a couple of things....

1. We dont take points off.
2. Key lines are not required, but they can be very helpful in keeping the judges eyes inside the area you want them to be.
3. No one should ever be able to say " This image is ok, but I LOVE the keyline"
4. It should be nearly unoticeable, just like the retouching.
Jeff