PDA

View Full Version : Print comp process

Mark_Turner
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I want to be sure I understand the process...

The GPPA is hosting SEPPA print judging in March, and if I enter there, score 80 or above, all I need to do is enter the PPA competition to receive a merit? State merits do not count toward the masters, right?

I have decided to pursue my masters, and want to be sure I don't miss any opportunities.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Mark, good for you! If you enter the approprite district in which you reside, score an 80 or higher, and send those same prints that scored 80 or higher to theIPC this summer, then you earn a merit. If they go lan, you earn two merits.
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I want to be sure I understand the process...

The GPPA is hosting SEPPA print judging in March, and if I enter there, score 80 or above, all I need to do is enter the PPA competition to receive a merit? State merits do not count toward the masters, right?

I have decided to pursue my masters, and want to be sure I don't miss any opportunities.

Just remember that at SEPPA, the image will only receive a "Seal of Approval" and not an automatic merit. The sealed image (the same original print or file) must be sent to the VERY NEXT International Photographic Competition (in August) in order for that "Seal" to become a Merit. If it is not sent to the VERY NEXT IPC, that seal will expire and will be invalid the next year (if submitted to the 2013 IPC, it would have to be rejudged for Merit again).
This is something that is not well understood. One member from my state lost three merits because he thought that the seal meant it was an automatic merit and didn't understand that he had to send them in to the IPC in order to receive his merits.

Also, if your image does not merit at SEPPA, it can still be sent to the IPC and judged there for merit. We usually have two or three rooms judging non sealed images for merit for most of the week. If it is sealed at a District judging or is accepted for merit at the IPC, then the print goes to the Loan Room to be judged for the Loan Collection. If accepted for Loan, you would receive an additional Exhibition Merit and the print would be permanently retained by PPA for exhibition in the Loan Collection.

Only PPA merits count towards PPA degrees - State Merits apply only towards degrees given by the state that issued the merits.

Mark_Turner
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I can enter 6 at SEPPA, but only 4 to IPC. Is that correct?

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
You can only enter 4 at a PPA District competition - and SEPPA is a District.
Some state competitions allow you to enter 6 or more images which will allow you to get more images judged at the state level and allow you to pick your best 4 to send on to the District judging. If your state usually allows 6 for their state competition and they are hosting the District competition, they will have to reduce their numbers to the PPA-PEC maximum of 4 entries for the District competition.
At the IPC, you can only enter 4 images, but they do not have to be the same images you sent to the District - so if an image doesn't receive a Seal at your District judging, you can switch it for another image to send to the IPC.

Also - SEPPA is the District that conducts the Electronic Imaging Competition. This is a completely separate competition whose merits are only applicable towards the PPA Master Artist Degree. You can send in 4 images to this competition in addition to the 4 image that are sent in for the Photographic Open Competition which awards Merits applicable towards the Master of Photography Degree (no crossover in merits from one competition to the other is allowed).

Mark_Turner
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Last question...is there anywhere online we can see loan or merit images from PPA competitions? I haven't entered comp since 2002, so...I need to see what's working.

GregYager
01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Last question...is there anywhere online we can see loan or merit images from PPA competitions? I haven't entered comp since 2002, so...I need to see what's working.

Unfortunately no but you can buy the Loan Collection and Showcase Collection books from Marathon Press. It's money well spent.

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
The images from the General Exhibit and Loan Collections are not available on-line. You can buy the Loan and Showcase books from Marathon Press but that will take time for the books to come in.

You can see a portion of the Loan Collection - actually about 70% of the Masters Loan Collection - in the ASP Masters Loan Collection slide show on the American Society of Photographers web-site. The ASP Masters Loan Collection shows from 2002 to the present are viewable there. The slide show is produced each year by ASP Fellow, Don Emmerich.

This should provide you with some inspiration...

http://www.asofp.com/portfolio.asp

Mark_Turner
01-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Perfect. Thanks, Rick!

Stephanie_Millner
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Does anyone have a link to purchase a showcase book from this year?

GregYager
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have a link to purchase a showcase book from this year?

Here ya go.

http://www.marathonpress.com/image-collections/

Stephanie_Millner
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks, Greg. Ordered!

Heike_O'Day
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Did I understand this the right way: I could ONLY enter the IPC and still have the chance of a merit / I don't have to have the seal from the district, right?
Are my chances for a merit higher if I do have the seal of approval from the district?

GregYager
01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Did I understand this the right way: I could ONLY enter the IPC and still have the chance of a merit / I don't have to have the seal from the district, right?
Are my chances for a merit higher if I do have the seal of approval from the district?

If you have a seal from your district then you're guaranteed at merit in the IPC. The seal is only good for the first IPC so don't try to save a seal for the next round.

Yes you can enter IPC only and the chances are no different. They're judged by the same standards. The advantage of doing district is that it basically gives a print 2 chances.

Rick_Massarini
01-26-2012, 09:12 PM

It is probably a bit easier to have your image receive a "Seal of Approval" at a District than for it to receive a Merit straight out at the IPC. That was stated at the Print Competition panel program at Imaging USA, and I agree. Some people will "try" different images at their District just to see what they will score, but when it comes down to the IPC, they may not take chances with an unusual image or treatment since they know that this is their only chance for the year - so they pull out their best work instead of different things "off-the-wall" that they might be trying out, so competition is a bit stiffer at the IPC. While that might be true for those working towards their Masters degree, for those who have already achieved their Masters, it's often just the opposite - the competition offers the opportunity to pull out the stops and try something that is a real "stretch" for them - so all bars are off, so you see some really wild images from the Masters group (for example - I turned an image of a slot canyon into a human torso this year and entered it - it sealed). That's why the Masters General Exhibit is always such an unusual and exceptional collection of images every year.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Just to be clear...we dont judge any differently at IPC than we do at the district level. There is no difference in the jurors minds. At each event a print that is scored in the merit category is a print that can be used to acheive the Master of Photography Degree from PPA. The change in the mental attitude is true amongst many of the competitors, but not the jurors. At IPC we determine if the print is a merit, or if it is not. Period. We then judge each Merit print to deteremine if it belongs in the loan collection or if it does not. At districts we do the same thing except we assign a numerical score to the print. Ultimately we are still deciding if it is a merit or not. I dont believe it is easier to hang a print at districts than it is at nationals.
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
01-27-2012, 12:54 AM
The difference between a District judging and the IPC is that at the District judging the judges are assigning numerical scores, while at the IPC, it's a simple in or out (thumbs up or thumbs down) At the IPC, you must have a majority of the judges decide in favor of making it a merit - three out of five thumbs up for a merit. At a District judging, there are numerical scores being averaged.
At a District judging - if you have five judges scoring 79, 79, 79, 80, 81 you get an 80 average which is a merit - if it survives the ins/outs.
If these same five judges were scoring by thumbs at the IPC you get three thumbs down and two thumbs up - not accepted.
Therein lies the difference for borderline images - no change in judging criteria - just math...

Jeff_Dachowski
01-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Look, Rick and disagree on this, and that is ok. The truth is you can come up with math tricks on both sides to prove your point. I would say that if you have 4 80's and one 74, the print does not hang at districts. But, the same score at ipc earns you a merit. There are anomalies on both sides of the argument. My ultimate point is the judges do not change, it is only the scoring system that changes. Fwiw, i dont score any differently at states than i would at districts or ipc. A merit is a merit.

I do encouarge you to enter both comps since you can get feedback from districts and make changes for ipc.
Jeff

Cheri_MacCallum
01-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Mark,
GA will be hosting the seppa judging each year now, so only 4 prints can be submitted to gppa.

Sarah_Johnston
01-31-2012, 01:35 AM
The advantage of the District is that you can get the feedback from the judges on under 80 images, make the corrections(or not) and THEN send it on for IPC. Just wanted to make that clear.
Good Luck!!

Mark_Turner
01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
I started looking through images today for both certification submission and competition. This is hard.

Angela_Lawson
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Mark - just something to remember. They are two different types of submissions. For certification, they have to show technical proficiency in all areas. For competition, they need to have technical proficiency, but also the 12 Elements, the first of which is Impact. The certification submission is from everyday client images. Competition can be, but many times is more staged for greater impact (imho).

Anyway, feel free to post images in both areas, and we will all help.