PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Potential Competition Image

J_Davidson
01-21-2012, 11:18 PM
I need one more print for my 2012 case.

I am doing some competition specific shooting this week, but I'm ocd and like to have backups.

What I'm looking for is very direct hard cc on this image. If its crap, its crap. I keep coming back to it because of the action, etc.

There are several technical hurdles for the image. The edges of the hooves are soft, and I'm not 100% thrilled with the BG and angle.

Please don't be gentle, I have my big girl panties strapped on.

Print Title: Twisted Sister

Jeff_Dachowski
01-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Jill, you mention that you are drawn to the action, but your image is at nearly the end of the action, therefore reducing the drama and the potential impact. The rider is lready on the ground, and somewhat safe. In the air we have to "finish" the story in our heads.
Jeff

J_Davidson
01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
The action in my mind being the rider getting turfed, and the horse with its tounge hanging out and half wrapped around its face.... However, that's where I keep getting stuck at. How twisted the horse is, how crazy the tounge is, and the cowboy is turtled up like what just happened here.

I'm stupid hung up on this image.

GregYager
01-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Jill,
If you have a copy of this year's Loan Collection book go to page 140 and look at the image titled "600lbs of Determination" by Thomas Henn. I think this is the look your trying for but as Jeff said your timing was a bit off. Also look at how he used a very shallow depth of field to make the background a non-issue. This could have been done in post but I suspect it was shot this way.

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
The 2011 Book? I don't.

This is the last frame in a 20 frame series. I have a ton more. I just got stuck on this one.

Irony of irony....I used to shoot rodeo photography professionally....

Jeff_Dachowski
01-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Jill,
no one is saying it is not good. I just believe you want to put forth a for sure merit image right?
Jeff

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Jeff,

That's the goal, and I hope I am not coming off as defensive. I'm not trying to be.

The other 3 images for my case are VERY strong, and I don't want to put anything in there that is a fence sitter or questionable. I guess what I'm getting at is for someone to smack me upside the head and tell me I need to try something different.

Trying to be objective, I'm betting it would land in the 72 - 76 ballpark. Which isn't even in the neighborhood of where I need/want to be.

I think I just needed to put it out there, and have input to validate that I need to not put it in my case.

Senseless rambling, I know.

GregYager
01-22-2012, 02:00 AM
I run in to this often Jill. I have images that I love and many people feel the same way but that doesn't make it a merit print. It makes them above average which is great but a merit print is a step above that. Make yourself go through the other images you have of this and pick one based on the details and overall impact. My guess is that you'll find several once you take this one out of consideration.

GregYager
01-22-2012, 02:02 AM
You asked for this Jill....

SSSMMMAAACCCKKK!!!

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm shooting specifically for print comp on the 25th, and doing some off the wall out of the box stuff. Not that I want to hinge my district case on that but...yeah.

Thanks for the smack! I needed it! :D

I do need a review of my other images but I want to make sure whever I have review them isn't judging Western States or Nationals.

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Do you have any earlier images of the rider while airborne?

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I have several of him airborn. Give me a second. I'll post them. They are all SOOC.

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Here they are....

GregYager
01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
I like these better but if I had the choice I would be shooting from ground level. I would most likely have myself positioned to shoot between the lowest rails in the fence. Less dirt in the foreground and the horse/rider would appear larger.

J_Davidson
01-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Greg, if I could have I would have. This rodeo is known for fence scrapers and wrecks, so people on the side that I was weren't allowed to get down and shoot in the dirt which is where I much rather prefer to be.

I chose the side on the gate opening of the bucking chutes instead of being on the far side. There's more action on the opening side. Its a catch 22. KWIM?