PDA

View Full Version : Competition image critique

joemama
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Here is an image that I shot for a model portfolio. It was an early 60's theme with an authentic 1960's bathing suit and 1960's T-28 Navy Warbird. I was going for the "Gidget" look because I think this model has some likeness to that TV character (although, Gidget was a "surfer girl" and not a "naval plane beauty").

I understand that this image has been crushed to fit the size limitations for viewing as an attachment... Please provide feedback based on the 12 elements of a merit image.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

~Joe

J_Davidson
01-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Joe,

Presented as she is not knowing how you would title it these are my impressions:

Her face is out of focus
She has been broad lit
Her hips are square to the camear making her appear wider than she is, and with the printed suit she would need a lot of help to thin her back down.
I can't see any visible catchlights in here eyes
Her hands appear to be clinging for dear life to the prop, I'd like to see more of a soft caress to her hands.
The image while cute doesn't have a lot of impact as it sits, and doesn't tell me a story.

As is I'm guessing it would score in the 70 - 75 range

You have a very cute model to work with, and her figure is very nice. I would like to see you control the light a bit more, pose her a bit more flattering.

Nitpicks:
I'd probably remove the lettering on the props, and tone down the brighter areas on the sides
I would also work this to look more vintage and pinuppy so that it has some more impact and story telling.

I love the concept, and where you're heading with it, I think it just needs a bit more finess.

joemama
01-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Ok. One thing though... the image is not out of focus. The high rez version is sharp. I see that this image (as posted) is fuzzy... so yeah... I can see why you would think that. The other comments though... THANK YOU! :) Take a look at this one I posted on "My PPA Galleries" : http://www.ppa.com/community/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8821&ppuser=123486424

Broad lit... yes. I went ahead and made the decision to broad light her because she is a tiny little lady and I did not like the way the plane was being lighted when I used short lighting on her. Broad light gets a bad rap I think. I understand why you use short lighting on people but it seems there is no tolerance for broad lighting a subject... ever. Just a thought.

I was already thinking the same thing about the hands but I needed someone else to tell me without me saying it first. This was a tough one because she is so small. I really wanted to have the arms out stretched but she was so small that posing the hands on the prop was... a challenge.

Thank you so much for your critique! I think it was on point and very helpful. MUCH appreciated.

Linda_Gregory
01-21-2012, 01:40 AM
You're right about broad lighting, especially in competition. I think they look for short lighting because so many don't know how to do it...and it shows knowledge of lighting.

Rick_Massarini
01-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Good Critique, Jill. Not much more I could add to what you've said.

J_Davidson
01-21-2012, 03:26 AM
I've seen broad lit images score when used appropriately. However, her pose combined w/ the bikini, and lighting are all holding the image back.

Good luck in print comp!

Thanks Rick! I'm trying really hard to really "see" images. I want to become an affiliate jude one day, and I really enjoy deconstructing images.