PDA

View Full Version : would this be a good image?

pphtg123
01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I have yet to submit any of my images for competition and would like to enter this image. What are your thought?

Joe_Galioto
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
paul the first reason this image would be held back from meriting is the brightness of the white drape, making it draw the viewers attention from the subjects face. maybe next time use either a darker drape or a lighter background to keep the whole image in key.
there's also some odd light striking her forehead.
i've noticed that you haven't been using any/enough hair or back light, there's no distinction between her hair and background.

pphtg123
01-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Points well taken Joe. I see the bright section of the material is white yet the true color of that material is pink.

Rick_Massarini
01-15-2012, 04:41 AM
salable - yes, competition - no - it would score in the mid 70's
mixed keys, hot spot on the chest is brighter than the face, blending of hair off into the background would hold it back.

D._Craig_Flory
01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
The drape is out of key making it the brightest area in the image - thereby drawing much more attention than her face - which should be the focal point. And, the drape being pulled out of the presentation also draws my eyes out of the frame without anything to bring them back.
Do you belong to your state prof. photography association, or a sub-state size group ? If not - why not ? If you want to learn all about anything to do with the profession join now. Enter their print competition as soon as you are eligible. Till then, and especially after you are entering ... sit in and watch print competition going on. You will learn a lot listening to the judges comments.

Linda_Gregory
01-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm the opposite of D Craig. JUMP IN. That will get you involved much faster than unattached observation.

D Craig, Phil has been quite active on our forums, learning light and now delving into competition. He IS seeking education outside by other PPA outlets and I applaud him for moving forward after switching from photojournalism to portraiture.

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi Linda; I DID TELL HIM TO COMPETE - at sub-state association & state association competitions. At those there are often print critiques where one or more of the judges will look tell what could have helped images score better. The way to improve is to compete against ones peers.

Missy50
01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Paul, I would certainly get her back in the studio and shoot her w/a different colored drape. It does not have to be black. It can be a romantic color like a dark red, (crimson {roll tide!} {Sorry Craig}) or anything flattering. But certainly get her back in and redo this. Make sure you highlight her hair. You could go white on white, but it will not have that dramatic look.

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Missy - I agree 100%. I said the drape was out of key - a high key drape on a low key background. A romantic color would work nicely. As it is now that's all I notice. A darker drape and her face will stand out and be the center of interest. I didn't say it should be black - low-key simply means darker shades.

Missy50
01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
LOL! My "sorry Craig" for for saying Roll Tide! (Hey I said it again!) I know how you hate the BCS. ;) I personally do not think we should have had a 'rematch', but the superior team did win. :D

Sorry, I hijacked. But I do live in Alabama where college football reigns!

Linda_Gregory
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
My apologies, D Craig, I read it and felt it meant to only compete in local competitions, not to enter the IPC.

Paul, on the other thread, the critique was that not having a fill light was correct in this situation but for competition, they're not going to approve of that. It's unfortunate but with competition, the subjects that do well are usually from extremely beautiful to more mainstream due to the 'rules' being more able to be applied.

That said, I'd LOVE for that to be proven wrong and if you COULD get her in again and try with the ideas from this, I'd be rooting for it for sure!

pphtg123
01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Points are well taken and I will try to get that girl back in and redo the shoot.