PDA

View Full Version : Competition Worthy 2

GregYager
01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Many of you seemed to enjoy the last thread I started about turning an image into a competition print so here's another image we can work with.

I liked this image SOOC but I think it will have issues in competition. I entered it in our state's summer competition and the scores were widespread from 75-85 and it ended up receiving an 80.

My first step is to identify as many faults as I can and determine if these can be corrected. Feel free to jump in and add your 2 cents to the project.

http://yagerstudios.homestead.com/ForumImages/YagerStudios-1177CoverContest.jpg

bwalker
01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Many of you seemed to enjoy the last thread I started about turning an image into a competition print so here's another image we can work with.

I liked this image SOOC but I think it will have issues in competition. I entered it in our state's summer competition and the scores were widespread from 75-85 and it ended up receiving an 80.

My first step is to identify as many faults as I can and determine if these can be corrected. Feel free to jump in and add your 2 cents to the project.

http://yagerstudios.homestead.com/ForumImages/YagerStudios-1177CoverContest.jpg

How can you go wrong with a kid like that?

Greg, are you using clear plexi on the floor on top of the white background?

GregYager
01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Good question Billy. The floor is simply hardwood painted with white exterior semi-gloss enamel. I have a cove in the back that makes a curved connection from the floor to the wall. The back wall is simply drywall finished to perfection(4 days sanding one wall)

Jeff_Dachowski
01-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Nice image. White spots on jeans and the torn part right by his face have to go..imo. Dad right hand is hot.

Jeff

GregYager
01-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanks Jeff. I used the burn tool set on midtones at 23% to darken Dad's hand. Band aid tool to remove tear and spots. The child is borderline being too bright on my monitor. It's probably just time to calibrate.

http://yagerstudios.homestead.com/forumimages/forumcoolkid1.jpg

GregYager
01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
What about presentation here? The image is obviously centered so should I stay centered and use a plain white mat with a blue key line?

Angela_Lawson
01-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Greg - I am just starting to enter print competition myself, so just take these opinions for whatever you think they are worth. I like the image and as a client image I'm sure they loved it. But as a competition print, I'm struggling with what is the main focus. My eyes keep being drawn down from the boy's face, to his and dad's matching shoes. While mom and dad will think that the matching shoes are cute, is that where you want the focus to be on this image. Also, I find dad's hands, waistline and arms rather distracting. What about a crop below the beltline and clone out dad's remaining fingers, and also try one bringing the crop in tight so that you crop out the shoes entirely, say just below the little guy's knees? Just a couple of thoughts!

GregYager
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Greg - I am just starting to enter print competition myself, so just take these opinions for whatever you think they are worth. I like the image and as a client image I'm sure they loved it. But as a competition print, I'm struggling with what is the main focus. My eyes keep being drawn down from the boy's face, to his and dad's matching shoes. While mom and dad will think that the matching shoes are cute, is that where you want the focus to be on this image. Also, I find dad's hands, waistline and arms rather distracting. What about a crop below the beltline and clone out dad's remaining fingers, and also try one bringing the crop in tight so that you crop out the shoes entirely, say just below the little guy's knees? Just a couple of thoughts!

If I crop it that tight I end up with a kid on a blue background. Did you notice that Dad's hands and legs all lead to the child's confident expression? If I remove those elements I have no leading lines. The shoes are similar but then again so are the jeans. The title is "He's got my back" if that helps to understand the composition.

Michael_Mathias
01-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Greg, I wonder if somehow limiting the depth of field so to slightly blur the father's image slightly. I often use depth of field to help direct the viewers eyes to the subject/area I am trying to emphasize. The fathers framing is excellent. I just find with everything in focus that it detracts from the boy/subject like the torn material and bleached spots you have already addressed. I feel a slight blur would maintain the framing and connection while defining the boy better. (brand new member)

Rick_Massarini
01-05-2012, 05:46 AM
The image composition is centered, so I agree with you about the centered composition. All the lines lead to the center - sounds like your matting and keyline idea is good. I know that people always talk about rule of thirds, but in some cases, a centered composition just works better and if you try to put some images into a thirds line intersection composition, it just wouldn't work for those images.

GregYager
01-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the forums Michael.

I'm not sure blurring dad will look natural because it's obvious they're standing in the same spot. This is however a thread for both learning and trying new ideas so I'll add the blur so we can see the result. If it looks good then something has been learned. If it looks bad then something has been learned. Sounds like a win-win to me.

bwalker
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Greg, I'm not sure about checkered shirts in images in general but I think it's a pretty good photograph. I'm the last one who can comment on comp so I'll stay away from that but I think the shoes tie-in perfectly with the title. To me you have an image where the boy is trying to emulate his father therefore he dresses in the manner he does. The boy trusts his father on everything therefore the father has his back. It brings family to mind and the title confirms. I don't know if comp implies something more along fine art or not but the image is certainly salable. As a living room wall portrait my taste would run to something more formal. If that was my son I would certainly want that image for my office or shop.

Tss1203
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Greg, I think this image is adorable! From the matching shoes, to the cute expression, to the way the lil' guy is almost pointing to his dad. It's something I would actually put on my wall at home. I love these kinds of images :) As far as comp worthiness I don't know, but I like it :)

Jorge42
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Greg with the difference [even though is not much] in darkness between the right side of the image and left do you still consider the image to be centered. It seems to me that when matting you would give the left side more space. Am I wrong or right on this one?

GregYager
01-06-2012, 03:39 AM
Greg with the difference [even though is not much] in darkness between the right side of the image and left do you still consider the image to be centered. It seems to me that when matting you would give the left side more space. Am I wrong or right on this one?

Normally yes. In this case however I think it will present better with everything centered.