PDA

View Full Version : Is this CPP worthy?

Jim_Bolen
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Okay, so I'm gearing up to take the test for CPP at my state's convention early next year. In your honest opinions, is this image worthy of showing to the judges. Keep in mind that I haven't done any retouching yet- just did color correction and applied a soft filter.

Always- thanks for the input.
Jim

Dan_Leary
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Jim,
In a word...yes. I just received my certification (Tuesday) and this image is every bit as good as the ones that I submitted. Just to let you know, it took them over two months to review my images. I was starting to worry because I hadn't heard anything and the deadline for the next submissions were coming up.

I think you'll do fine. Good Luck.

Jim_Bolen
06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
If I've got to wait two months or so, my wife will kill me! I'll be impossible to live with. Okay, more impossible!

Thanks for the input, Dan. Oh, and congrats on your recent CPP!

David_A._Lottes
06-21-2006, 03:46 PM
I think Dan is right. I re-certified in 2003 and if I had your image in my portfolio I would have used it. Good Luck! - David

Jack_Reznicki
06-21-2006, 04:51 PM
In your honest opinions, is this image worthy of showing to the judges.

Jim,

There are what looks like 2 planters all the way on the right. Distracting to me. It's about the B&G and those items and tones at the edge of your image keeps taking my eye there. I'd let the vertical shapes of the trees "frame" the couple.
IMHO FWIW.

D._Craig_Flory
06-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Jim;

Have you already taken the written exam or will you do at the meeting ? I'm sure you know it's a combination of a written exam, plus image submission, for getting certified.

I agree with Jack on the planters. What I usually tell people that all images they use for submission should be of at least red ribbon quality. In our state competitions ... that's a score of between 76 & 79. Think of images that got a 78 or a 79 ... quality images but just missing that one element to get it over the hump. If you go for a merit quality on all 20 you will do just fine.

Talk to others in your state that are certified as well as your state C.P.P. Liaison for more tips and insight into it.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liaison, ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Jim_Bolen
06-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Jack & Craig:
Thanks for the info. I will take them to heart.

KirkDarling
06-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I agree with Jack on the planters. What I usually tell people that all images they use for submission should be of at least red ribbon quality. In our state competitions ... that's a score of between 76 & 79. Think of images that got a 78 or a 79 ... quality images but just missing that one element to get it over the hump. If you go for a merit quality on all 20 you will do just fine.

The images that score between 76&79 in Illinois are awfully tremendocious good.

David_M_Deutsch
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Jim
I think you should have no problem with the print submission aspect of Certification. (I visited your web site). You have some nice images.

In addition to the crop that Jack mentioned you may want to tone down some of the hot spots caused by the trees and around the edges... to really draw your eye to the bride & groom.

hope this helps.

David