PDA

View Full Version : A certification question I've been wondering about...

Avery_Munger
12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm on the path towards obtaining my Certification and recently the thought occurred to me that I may not be able to share my step-by-step accomplishments with friends and family via Facebook. I know that I cannot use the logo or call myself certified until it's been officially confirmed/conferred, but what if I'd like to be able to share these milestones with my family/friends via Facebook prior to an official confirmation of certification? Would this constitute an issue wherein I could lose or be denied certification?

-Avery

Ron_Jackson
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
My question is....why? Why would you share something you don't have yet? Am I missing something here? I can see where you might post that you have "taken" the exam on your way to becoming certified but until you actually are, why would you even consider saying you are to anyone including just family?

GregYager
12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I couldn't imagine this being a problem. Like you stated, just don't use the logo or declare yourself certified before it's official.

Avery_Munger
12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
My question is....why? Why would you share something you don't have yet? Am I missing something here? I can see where you might post that you have "taken" the exam on your way to becoming certified but until you actually are, why would you even consider saying you are to anyone including just family?

I like to share how (& what) I'm doing with my family, since many in my family are around the globe it's easiest to keep them in the loop through Facebook. I have mentioned to them that I'm working towards certification and generally after a few months that elicits the usual question... "how's it going? or how did you do on your exam, image review etc.?" So I asked the question above because I didn't want something I said/answered on Facebook (i.e. I passed my exam or image review) to be construed as claiming something I was not yet. Thereby, jeopardizing my potential or expected certification status.

Besides, I take processes and rules very seriously (especially as a business owner). I wouldn't be stating I was certified and would have no intention of doing so until it was official, then I would "shout that from the mountain tops". :D

Ron_Jackson
12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Well I sure am not the one to give you the final answer but I personally see nothing wrong with updating status on your certification process, e.g. "Took the exam and feel it went well." "Got a response that I passed the exam, still waiting to hear about the review." That sort of thing. I certainly wouldn't say I was certified until you actually got that notification. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with updating your current status.

Avery_Munger
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys, for the feedback. I will tread carefully for now. :)

Rick_Massarini
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Although announcing your progress toward the CPP on Facebook would not be a protocol violation, I wouldn't announce anything to the world until it was official and had passed both parts of the Certification process. It might be a bit embarassing if you were to announce on Facebook that you had passed the written test only to have to go back and announce that your images were not good enough to pass the image review...
As long as it was only your family seeing the posts, it might not be a problem, but if your clients were to see that, it might not be good for business... Why take a chance of a PR plus becoming a PR minus?

Avery_Munger
12-14-2011, 02:47 AM
... but if your clients were to see that, it might not be good for business... Why take a chance of a PR plus becoming a PR minus?

That's a good point. Thus why I (assuming I passed all) will likely hold my tongue for now. :)

GregYager
12-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I got my fingers crossed for you Avery

joemama
12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah... awesome! Let us know how it goes for you. Isn't it nerve wracking!? Best wishes buddy!

Heather_L._Smith
12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Avery -
I have a slightly different perspective on sharing your progress. While I appreciate the comments of my esteemed colleagues, I think it's incredibly important to share your progress with whomever you wish. There is a 3-year window to complete the elements that the certification process requires... and there's a 3-year window for a reason... because it's not always easy. Some folks pass the requirements the first time around, and some don't, but having ANY reason to talk about certification is one more opportunity to talk about its importance.

Let's say, for example, that one didn't pass their image submission the first time around. While one person might be embarrassed, another person may see it as an opportunity and work that much harder to make the images passable for the next go-round. Again, I see it as a huge opportunity to share the process (and possible difficulties) with those that you interact with.

We struggle to make consumers aware of the importance of the Certification program, and I think the more photographers take the opportunity to talk about it, the greater the importance in the mind of the consumer.

Talk away about your progress (and good luck!), just don't use the Certification logo until it's official.

(on a side note, I sit on the Commission that oversees the Certification program, so while my comments aren't necessarily "official word" from the Commission, you can rest assured that this advice won't get you in trouble.)

Avery_Munger
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice Heather. That's very helpful. As I'm still in the testing stage, I wanted to make sure it was okay before I started sharing my progress (positive or negative).

Also, love your horse photography. Always wished I had more opportunity to photograph horses. Grew up around horses when I was younger, but since then I've lived in city/suburban dwellings and don't have opportunity to do much animal photography in their natural environment.