PDA

View Full Version : Question on presentation

dpalme
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
How important is it for an image to have a border when competing?

Rick_Massarini
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
The border is only a presentation tool and allows the photographer to give the image a more "finished" look. The border is used to help strengthen the overall presentation, but sometimes if the border is poorly handled, it actually weaken the overall presentation. The image can be presented full bleed if that is the strongest presentation for the image - this was the norm in the past (before digital) where matting an image required cutting and mounting physical mat board and it was a ton of work to get the print matted and still meet the maximum thickness limitations of the rules - so a matted print was the exception to the norm. It all depends on if the border helps to add impact to the image - it's your choice.

Joe_Galioto
12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
well..............................rick
i don't think i've ever seen an image where a full bleed was the strongest presentation.
i look at boarders and key-lines like framing. always looks more finished imho and i believe they score better too

GregYager
12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm with Joe here. The presentation is essential for showcasing the image in a world of frameless prints.

Rick_Massarini
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
well..............................rick
i don't think i've ever seen an image where a full bleed was the strongest presentation.
i look at boarders and key-lines like framing. always looks more finished imho and i believe they score better too

I didn't say that full bleed is always the strongest presentation - I said it could be presented that way IF it is is the strongest presentation for that particular image. In the past, there were very few images presented with mats - now that it is so easy to add a mat, the mat is being interpreted as a requirement - but it is NOT. Even in this digital world, every year at the IPC there are some images that are presented (and some are accepted) without having a mat - it all depends on the image. I've seen images that would have done much better if the horribly distracting mat that was added to the image had just been left off. Mats did not become the norm until about 7-8 years ago - before then, nearly everything was presented full bleed.

Presentation is only one of the 12 Elements of a Merit Print...
Impact
Creativity
Style
Composition
Presentation
Center or Interest
Subject Matter
Color Balance
Lighting
Technical Excellence
Technique
Story Telling

While all 12 Elements are important, the first and last (Impact and Story Telling) are usually considered to be the most important.

Jeff_Dachowski
12-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Gallery wrap that looked better than a framed and matted image? Is it possible?
Jeff

dpalme
12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Rick,
If I might ask, when you are creating a border are you using a plugin or action or are you creating them by hand?

Joe_Galioto
12-06-2011, 01:56 AM
jeff
sounds like we might be on the same page with regards to wraps
last year i had several new samples printed as wraps
i can't stand, nothing presents itself nicer on the wall then a piece of art in a beautiful frame

dpalme
12-06-2011, 02:16 AM
I have limited our canvas print samples to the floating frame canvas prints. They have a great look to them.

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Rick,
If I might ask, when you are creating a border are you using a plugin or action or are you creating them by hand?

I add my borders in Photoshop - each one created to match the look of the image to which it is applied. I don't use any purchased actions - the only actions I use are those that I have written myself.

Has anyone ever seen a Gallery wrap that looked better than a framed and matted image? Is it possible?
Jeff

Jeff - Not sure how to interpret this... are you pro Gallery Wraps or anti Gallery Wraps - can't tell if your remark is to be taken as written or is it "tongue in cheek"???

Personally, I am a big proponent of digital borders on prints, in fact, I display competition style images on the walls of my studio - with the borders on them. We sell a lot of images with borders added to them. The borders allows the finished print to go straight into a frame without having to have custom mats cut for them which will usually not match the colors of the print. The digital mats and accent lines that we add to the images often allow us to sell a size larger because of the added size of the mat - and we no longer have to be concerned with the visual damage that a custom framing company will do with our image with matting since the image is already matted and ready to go right into a frame.
Also - FYI - we do sell frames - but I don't want this to divert to an irrelevant discussion on selling/including or not selling/including frames with the prints ...

Stephanie_Millner
12-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Jeff's comment confused me to... but I'm guessing he's saying it tongue in cheek.

To answer seriously - yes. Any of my pet images.

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
The Gallery wraps are nice - and we sell quite a few of them - maybe it's just the artistic influence of the Old New Orleans atmosphere, but many people down here have been hanging unframed canvases on their walls down here long before the current "gallery wrap rage" began. It's a case where everything old is new again - people have been hanging unframed canvas paintings on their walls forever down here - it's just the rest of the country is just catching up - it's probably one of the only cases where the Deep South was first with a "trend".

Also - for an unframed image, it's hard to sell a canvas wrap of a print that has a digital mat on it - it just doesn't seem to work...

Jeff_Dachowski
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I must have a rep for being sarcastic.....how did hat happen?

Anyway....my point was actually that a gw can have great impact on the wall. I am not in the camp that says every image has to have a mat to it. I have certainly seen far more images go blue with a mat than without. To answer the op,it is not required, but suggested if it helps the image.
Jeff

Fuzzy_Duenkel
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I must have a rep for being sarcastic.....how did hat happen?

There you go again.
:)