PDA

View Full Version : Digital Image Competition/Review

GregYager
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Here's some good news for people wanting to test drive their upcoming IPC image candidates.

Our state association is hosting an online image competition/review on December 8, 2011. The competition is open to both members and non-members.

All images will be judged and reviewed by an esteemed panel of photographers and will be broadcast "LIVE" via webcast.
This is for anyone wanting to learn how to make their images more exciting, more dramatic and technically more sound. It’s really cool to see what goes through the judges mind as they review the images submitted live.

You can watch the judging live or you can receive a text when your image is scored.

The submission and upload information can be found here http://www.ppnimage.blogspot.com/

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the head's up Greg - this is fantastic!

GregYager
12-03-2011, 02:01 AM
You're welcome Christine. I know a lot of people have been looking for video critiques so I figured seeing it live would be even better. It's cheap to enter or if you prefer you can watch for free.

Rick_Massarini
12-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Who are your judges/reviewers ?

GregYager
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Who are your judges/reviewers ?

I think it's gonna be Stan Jones, Jessica Vogel and Barbara Yonts.

GregYager
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
The deadline for entry is about 48 hours away. Good luck to everyone with images submitted.

Keep in mind that if you don't have images ready to enter you can always watch for free. It's a great way to learn about photographic competition from the comfort of your home.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Just uploaded my entries! I'm looking forward to having some additional input before IPC. I'm really grateful that PhotoPro has opened this up to non-members. I got a group of 5 of us to enter :)

J_Davidson
12-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm in! YAY!

Avery_Munger
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Greg, do you know if this competition will be available to view after today? I'm not able to make the online Live stream this evening, but would very much like to see this!

-Avery

GregYager
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Avery,
I think archived videos can only be viewed by members. I'll find out for sure today.

Joe_Galioto
12-08-2011, 02:36 PM
greg
other then the obvious, trying to obtain new members.
why would this judging be open to non-members, shouldn't membership have some benefits?

Jorge42
12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Thank you Greg for the link. It was an eye opener.

GregYager
12-09-2011, 02:17 AM
greg
other then the obvious, trying to obtain new members.
why would this judging be open to non-members, shouldn't membership have some benefits?

It was to let others try it out. They were also trying new software. The next ones are member only. Membership is only $39 though.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Greg - do you know when the final standings/prizes will be tabulated/announced?

Rick_Massarini
12-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Greg - do you know anything about the software they used for queueing the images and presenting the images to the judges? I've sent David a note asking about the software they used tonight.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Rick - from the competition entry area:

PrintCompetition.com is an online management system for image judging and scoring. We partner with several photographic associations to automate the on-line registration and print salon activities. Major features include:

physical print and digital judging
pre-registration of images
preprinted print back labels
preprinted entry forms
online entry fee payments
image bar coding
image randomization
printed judging dockets
iPod Touch key pads for judges
iPad projection of current image
iPad projection of leader board
iPad projection of results
iPad Kiosks of results
customized reports and forms

While we have proven our system works with several different associations, we know not all associations are the same. Therefore we are open to customizing parts of the system to meet needs that arise.

If you want to see examples or explore how our system might be used within your association, please contact us at 954-237-7755.

Rick_Massarini
12-09-2011, 03:36 AM
PPLA has been using PrintCompetition.com for about 4 years now to record the entries and scores of our annual print competitions. They also handle PPLA's website. The last time I spoke with Jeff (which was at our state convention in August) his software was not able to present full resolution images to a monitor - it could only handle a low res version for projection in a separate viewing area or in the back of the judging room. Maybe he's juiced it up and has a new version that is full resolution capable. I'll have to give him a call tomorrow to see what he has that's new. Thanks. I didn't know it was our webmaster who was providing the software for Kentucky.

Their software was the key to the new feature that PPLA introduced two years ago - the "Sports Bar" where you can kick back and cut up all you want during the print competition and try to predict the judges scores on the prints. It's possible because the images are being fed to projectors in another room - not the room that was occupied by the judges and print crew - it was a huge success for the last two years.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
PPNC & PPSC are also using the system.

GregYager
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Greg - do you know when the final standings/prizes will be tabulated/announced?

My guess is they'll be posted today but I'll ask David to make sure.