PDA

View Full Version : OurPPA Meet and Greet at IUSA

Angela_Lawson
11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey all! Usually by now we've had some form of discussion about meeting up somewhere with other OurPPA forum members. Last year was on Saturday evening after helping set up the Print Exhibit. Any thoughts for when and where this year. I've never been to NO before so I have no idea where would be a good place to meet, so hopefully others will chime in now and we can get the party started, so to speak. :D

Really looking forward to my trip this year. Can't wait to see you all!

Ed_Sharp
11-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I know there are quite a few of us helping set up the display, so that could make sense to have it after that, depending on what people have going on. Last year's informal gathering was a blast, but we were missing quite a few people.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-18-2011, 03:51 AM
I was starting to wonder about this too Angela! It's been a pretty big deal for the last few years!

Angela_Lawson
11-18-2011, 12:50 PM
So, where is everyone this year?!!! Since the actual evenings of the conference all have something going on, I guess I'll just step up and suggest that we try to do it on Saturday evening again? Does that work for most everyone? However, someone else will have to make a suggestion as to where, since I've never been there.

Tss1203
11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Ed, did you already sign up for set up? I haven't heard anything....

Saturday night works well for us, too.

Angela_Lawson
11-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Amy,

I know that Ed and I are both signed up already. If you contact Colleen again, just let her know that you want to help again. Or let Rick know and I'm sure he can make sure you are on the list.

Hopefully you feel better this time around. :)

Ed_Sharp
11-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Ditto that about contacting Collen again. She just sent another email last week to confirm that people were still going to be there for the set up/take down, so if you didn't hear from her It would be a good idea to get ahold of her ASAP.

George_Hawkins
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I remember the gathering and a photo in Tampa outside at a lunch time casual.
I have not attended Imaging since. I will be this January. I will be visiting relatives in FL, and arrive in New Orleans Thursday, to take in some "sites". Anyone have the iPhone app, which also might be available for other platforms? Thanks PPA! One can enter "contacts" to it. Has schedules, speaker, and other info.

I'm interested but not tried to register for one or two pre-con programs, realize at extra costs!

Ed_Sharp
11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
So, where is everyone this year?!!! Since the actual evenings of the conference all have something going on, I guess I'll just step up and suggest that we try to do it on Saturday evening again? Does that work for most everyone? However, someone else will have to make a suggestion as to where, since I've never been there.

Saturday sometime between 5pm and 8pm would seem logical. Most Pre con classes get over at 5 and hopefully we will be done setting up the image display by then. The PPA Charities celebration starts at 8pm.
I have a feeling Rick will be able to tell us the best place to meet.

I think in the past we have had sponsors that provided a room for us, I don't know if anything like that may be in the works this year.

Michael_Gan
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
There was a sponsor for the room in past years, but not for this year. However, to tell you the truth, the meet and greet at a designated bar seems to be more fun for everyone;)

Erin_L._Clark
12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
There was a sponsor for the room in past years, but not for this year. However, to tell you the truth, the meet and greet at a designated bar seems to be more fun for everyone;)

sounds good to me Michael! :)

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2011, 09:41 PM
The next time I'm down in that part of town I'll look around and see what's on Convention Center Blvd where we might be able to meet. I know that there are a few restaurants there, but I'm not sure about a bar - we can always default to the Hilton - this is New Orleans so every hotel has a bar... or two... or three...

cat_broderick
12-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Can I come? I'll be there at setup and this is my first Imaging!

Erin_L._Clark
12-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Can I come? I'll be there at setup and this is my first Imaging!

This is your first?!? Uhoh, guess who gets to buy everyone a drink!:D

George_Hawkins
12-10-2011, 12:07 AM
I wonder how much "New Orleans" character is at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant on Poydras Street, about half mile from convention center and a minute from Hilton, has? I've been to the one in Annapolis, MD many times, great specialty beers and food.

Michael_Gan
12-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I think Gordon Beirsch started in San Francisco.

I love Lafitte's and Absinthe (I think my biz card is still stapled up there somewhere. Lafitte's is less crowded because it's further down towards the end of Bourbon St. Then, there's always O'Briens, but we'll be yelling at each other...oh, and if you've never had a Hurricane, keep it down to a Max of two. A third one will make the room spin when you get to bed (I'm not kidding on this one).

Ed_Sharp
12-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I know that there are a few restaurants there, but I'm not sure about a bar - we can always default to the Hilton - this is New Orleans so every hotel has a bar... or two... or three...
That sounds good to me:)

Angela_Lawson
12-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Since we are getting close, thought I'd bring this to the top again. Since some of us are helping set up the Print Exhibit, and some are taking Pre-cons, should we all meet in the convention center lobby and decide what to do from there? Or does someone have a specific place that we want to meet at?

Rick - did you get a chance to look around downtown and see if there is anyplace that would hold us all?

GregYager
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
This thought just occurred to me....

We should have a small booth in the trade show where we can tell people about the forums. We could also have a small setup for taking avatar photos.

Good idea? Bad idea? Are tomatoes being thrown at me even as I type?

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I think that would be a great idea, but it would have to be manned throughout the entire convention and of course we would need approval from the board. I kind of doubt it could happen this late in the game because they've already planned the floorplan for the expo.

Rick_Massarini
12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
With the approval of the PEC and the Board, we could possibly set up something inside the Print Exhibit area if you can't get a spot inside the trade show. Right now I have one empty booth between the line of four mentor booths and the start of the General Exhibit prints in the print exhibit area (along one wall of the exhibit) and I will be taking down at least three booths in the far back of the print exhibit area behind the Loan Collection Exhibit area just to open up some walking space back there, so those booths would be available but the three in the back would be more secluded since they would be in the back. You would, of course, need to set up some kind of schedule to have the booth manned - or if you wish, if there were some literature available, it could be laid out for visitors to pick up in that booth even if there was no one there.

I don't think that it would be too difficult to get the OK to do if if you think that we have enough members interested in manning the booth - but remember - that booth would be in the print exhibit area and not in the trade show - so it might be considered by some to be "away from the action" of the Expo.

GregYager
12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
If you ask me I think having it in the Pint Exibit area would be great. Remember, we're not selling anything but rather making people aware of a benefit they already have.

Rick_Massarini
12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I've got someone looking into whether there will be an available booth in the trade show area. She'll let me know in a few days...
I know that there will be space available in the print exhibit area.

Ed_Sharp
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Good idea Angela,
Time is sneaking up on us here so we need to get a meetup plan ASAP.
Since only some of us will be setting up the exhibit, we definitely need to have a designated location to have the meet up so everyone will be on the same page. In the absence of any other plan, I think Rick's Idea to "default to the Hilton" is the way to go.
I assume we are talking about the Hilton that is our "Headquarter Hotel"
Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Two Poydras Street,
504-561-0500

There are several other Hiltons in the area so I wanted to make sure that is the one you were talking about.

The time is the other thing we need to get established:
Is Saturday @6pm a good time for everyone?

We could also set up an event on Facebook for the OurPPA meetup that might help us get our ducks in a row. Just a thought.

Since we are getting close, thought I'd bring this to the top again. Since some of us are helping set up the Print Exhibit, and some are taking Pre-cons, should we all meet in the convention center lobby and decide what to do from there? Or does someone have a specific place that we want to meet at?

Rick - did you get a chance to look around downtown and see if there is anyplace that would hold us all?

Tss1203
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Speaking of mentoring-how do we sign up for it again?

Rick_Massarini
12-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Sarah Johnston is handling the scheduling of the mentor booths. She has posted a thread about the booths today on the forum including her email address to send her a note to register.

As for the get-together, I haven't had a chance to go down there to check for bars or locations - I generally try to avoid that section of town unless I'm shooting something in the Convention Center so I'm not down there frequently, and when I am, I'm working. I'll try to take a drive by there tomorrow sometime... There is a restaurant and a bar inside the convention center - hey, this is New Orleans - there are bars EVERYWHERE down here - we may want to meet there...

GregYager
12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
The bar inside the convention center works for me.

Ed_Sharp
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, that sounds even better.

Tim_Babin
12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Everyone loves to go to Pat O' Briens, what about a meet up time on Saturday night. In the middle of the quarter.

We are meeting up there around 700pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/314939485212831/

Jazzi_Photo_LLC
12-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Don't count out the 12 Bar on Fulton. Not far from the convention center and lots of interesting people in and out. The makeup of the crowd can change by the hour, depending on what act is playing next.

reneeharris
01-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Is anyone interested in a shoot-out, of sorts? I'm trying to get something going.

Angela_Lawson
01-03-2012, 10:23 PM
So, I see 2 votes for meeting right at the Convention Center. One for Pat OBrien's and one for the 12 Bar.

I know for those of us helping with Print Exhibit Set-up that the Convention Center would be the easiest, as we will already be there. I vote that we meet in the convention center bar around 6:00pm, and if we decide to move on to someplace else, we can do so later, once we think everyone has made it, that is coming.

If you are planning to come to the ourppa forum get-together, add your name to the list below. Then we can decide for sure where and when to meet.

These are the names I know so far. Add your name on.
Angela Lawson
Ed Sharp
Greg and Cindy Yager
Rick Massarini

Rick_Massarini
01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
I still haven't been able to get down to Convention Center Blvd to check things out - maybe a bit later this week I can get out of the studio for a while...

John_Ransom
01-04-2012, 01:49 AM
I will be there - thanks!

Tss1203
01-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Todd and I will be there!

GregYager
01-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Currently attending...

John Ransom
Amy & Todd Feick
Angela Lawson
Ed Sharp
Greg & Cindy Yager
Rick Massarini.....really

Holly_Powell
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi guys!

This will be my VERY FIRST year at Imaging! I'm so excited! I'm also from the Gulf Coast area, Nola's neighbor (and a HUGE Saint's fan... Who DAT??? -- Just saying ;) Anyway, there are LOTS of EXCELLENT places in NOLA that you'll be amazed by and GREAT places to meet! Get ready for the FUN!!! I'll be attending Thursday, Friday, & Saturday as well as the additonal conference days so I can scope out the different places we'll be located by and report as soon as I find out some more info. =) BTW: you MUST learn to say "WHO DAT?!" in our little, well huge now, "Who Dat Nation"...thanks to our wonderful boys and of course... the awesome DREW BREES!!! hehe! I look forward to meeting new people and much more learning TONS of info!

Your newest and most excited member EVER,
Holly Powell
with Holly Powell Photography (.com)

Ed_Sharp
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Currently attending...

Lol! We are officially in IUSA mode now:D

Welcome aboard Holly and good luck to the Saints. A few years ago IUSA was in Phoenix when the Cardinals were having a great run in the playoffs and it was fun to feel the electricity of the fans.

GregYager
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Welcome aboard Holly. Go Packers! :D

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Welcome Holly! Where is the best place to go to watch the Patriots game on Saturday night at 8? The Saints will (most likely) be playing the game before that...

Mark_Levesque
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
There's a gazillion places in the quarter to catch the Pats game. A short walk from the hotel. Let's hope they don't ruin our day again this year (3rd Imaging in a row!)

rforthofer
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
This will be my first Imaging, and I would definitely like to attend the OurPPA meetup. I will plan to be at the Convention Center bar by 6PM Saturday. Add my name to the list!
Russ

Angela_Lawson
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Updated list so far...Come on people, lets get a good group together now!

Russ Forthofer
John Ransom
Amy & Todd Feick
Angela Lawson
Ed Sharp
Greg & Cindy Yager

Tim_Babin
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
This is from my friend that is organizing the Pro4um pub crawl. Anyone is invited.

Just bumping this up for the waiting list crew. This will be a very unorganized pub crawl. I'm basically inviting you to join me for a night out in New Orleans. I will be showing a few out-of-town friends around the city and taking them to some of my favorite bars. Feel free to join us at the start or catch up with us later. Stay the whole time or leave early. It will be a good time either way. We are going to be at Pat O'briens at the same time as the Pro4um party. So you guys that are going to the Pro4um party can hang out with us for the first three stops if you like.

5:00 – Coyote Ugly New Orleans: Easy place to find and close to all PPA hotels. I'd prefer sit in a bar and wait for people rather than sitting in a hotel lobby waiting for people. Just me.

6:00 – Monteleon Carousel Bar: The Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge is the only revolving barin New Orleans, Louisiana. The bar is inside the Hotel Monteleone and overlooksRoyal Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Installed in 1949, the25-seat circular bar rotates at a rate of one revolution every 15 minutes. ErnestHemingway, William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and WinstonGroom are among the famous authors who have enjoyed drinks at the Carousel Bar.Hotel Monteleone and its Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge have been mentioned ina number of works of American literature.

7:00 – Pat O’Briens: A tthe end of prohibition in 1933, Pat O'Brien converted his speakeasy to alegitimate drinking establishment. A few years later Pat realized that he had outgrown his little space. He and his friend Charlie Cantrell decided to become partners and buy the building at 718St. Peter Street, the building that is now home to the world famous bar. The structure was originally built circa 1791 and became home to the first French Theater Company in New Orleans. In the mid 1940's, Pat O'Brien's Bar propelled when the Hurricane Drink was created.

8:30 – Johnny White’s: Twenty years ago Johnny White's Sports Bar open their doors on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans. Twenty years later, those doors are still open, and have NEVER been closed. Even for Hurricane Katrina.

9:30 – Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop: built between 1722 and 1732 by Nicolas Touze, is reputed to be the oldest structure used as a bar in the United States. Between 1772 and 1791, the property is believed to have been used by the Lafitte Brothers, Jean and Pierre as a New Orleans base for their Barataria smuggling operation.

10:30 – d.b.a.: **Live Music – Soul Rebels Brass Band - $10 Cover** This band will be one of the coolest things you see while visiting New Orleans. d.b.a. is located on Frenchmen Street in historic Faubourg Marigny. The building dates back to the 1880's and musicians say the all cypress wood music room is one of the warmest sounding rooms in New Orleans.

**DO NOT WALK AROUND THE FRENCH QUARTER IN GROUPS SMALLER THAN 8 TO 10 PEOPLE. THIS IS MY CITY AND I AM PROUD OF IT. HOWEVER, IT CAN BE A DANGEROUS PLACE FOR PEOPLE NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT. PLEASE TAKE A TAXI IF YOU BECOME SEPERATED FROM THE LARGER GROUP**

go to the facebook page here

George_Hawkins
01-08-2012, 03:07 PM
That's quite a schedule; thanks for the paragraphs about each.
Not sure if I have the energy to visit all six. Saturday night, right?

I'm getting in Thursday late afternoon, which gives me two nights to make some stops on my own, unless it's suggested to not venture alone!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Updated list so far...Come on people, lets get a good group together now!

Russ Forthofer
John Ransom
Amy & Todd Feick
Angela Lawson
Ed Sharp
Greg & Cindy Yager

You can add me, but where are we meeting? Sorry, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread lol...

Tim_Babin
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
That's quite a schedule; thanks for the paragraphs about each.
Not sure if I have the energy to visit all six. Saturday night, right?

I'm getting in Thursday late afternoon, which gives me two nights to make some stops on my own, unless it's suggested to not venture alone!

George, then take cabs where you want to go. Not sure of the hotel you are staying at, but on bourbon street, you should be ok at night except close to Canal street, like 200 block on Bourbon on for awhile. During the day, just watch yourself, but you should be ok.

Rick_Massarini
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
... also, while in the French Quarter - stay south of Bourbon Street - stay on Bourbon, Royal, Chartres, and Decatur. Going North of Bourbon Street towards Dauphine, Burgundy and Rampart is a good way to find some additional action - if you're into hand-to-hand. Stay towards the West side of the French Market and avoid the area North East of the Market. As Tim said, the first two blocks of the French Quarter right next to Canal Street can be a bit dicey, but once you pass Bienville Street it gets more crowded and you're probably safer. If you're going down into the Frenchman Street area of the Faubourg Marigny, be careful, it's always dicey down in that section where Elysian Fields and Esplanade Avenues meets the River. I've spent a lot of time down in that section - I was born and raised just a mile downriver from the French Market and used to ride my bicycle there when to pick up vegetables I was a kid - it was a rough section then, and it is still a rough section today - just be careful, avoid the really bad areas and travel in groups...

Tss1203
01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm up for pub crawling with a few other photogs :) My vote is the our ppa'ers meet up have a chat and possibly join up with the crawlers. It's all about meeting new people, right?

I know of several of us that are staying about a mile, mile and a half from the convention center :)

skweelz1
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I would love to meet up with everyone, coming by myself so I would much rather meet others!

Rick_Massarini
01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, I just got back from a drive to the convention center - it's insanity down there right now with all the BCS fans of LSU and Bama in town right now. The meet and greet will not be in the convention center bar since, as they say down here - "Ain't there no more" - the bar in the convention center is no longer there - only the restaurant remains, and there's no bar in the restaurant. I know that sounds strange for New Orleans, but they replaced it with a catered only bar arrangement with the convention center so they can charge $25 for a beer.

There is an excellent Cajun restaurant that is right across from the convention center called Mulate's that has a bar - that's one possibility - there are other possible locations on Fulton Street (that's a couple of blocks away from the convention center) I may be able to check them out on Tuesday after all of the BCS football people get out of town and the crowd disperses a bit. The Hilton is always a possibility depending on how many people are staying there...

Tim_Babin
01-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah, yall come on down to Bourbon street and meet up with us, you all know you want to be on the most famous street in the world with people you can relate too.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
01-09-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm up for pub crawling with a few other photogs :) My vote is the our ppa'ers meet up have a chat and possibly join up with the crawlers. It's all about meeting new people, right?

I know of several of us that are staying about a mile, mile and a half from the convention center :)

Let's do it!

Rick_Massarini
01-09-2012, 04:45 AM
The only bad thing about the schedule of the pub crawl is that it is crawling away from Canal Street and away from most of the attendee's hotels. If they end up on Frenchman Street - that's off the far end of the French Quarter, that's a very long walk back to a Canal Street area hotel or one in the Warehouse District - they'll probably have to catch a cab back to their hotel. It would have been better if it had crawled away from Canal Street and then back towards Canal Street instead of just crawling away leaving the crawlers partially intoxicated and on the other end of the Quarter.

skweelz1
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I'd be interested in doing a few of the stops on the crawl. Tim, the first few is it just your friend with his friends or will there be other photographers starting out the crawl...don't want to impose on your friend. I would also be interested in meeting at 12 bar since its super close to the convention hotels.

Really I'm up for anything but the more I read about the French quarter I'm getting nervous about going there alone.
Darci Amundson

Ed_Sharp
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I would'nt mind hitting one of the stops of the pub crawl.
Wherever we end up going I have a feeling the bars will be extra crazy with the Saints vs 9ers starting at 3:30pm CST.
The PPA charities event starts at 8pm In the Versailles Ballroom in the Hilton,so that may be a consideration for anyone interested in that.

GregYager
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys but we won't be bar crawling. We don't wanna be suffering from a hangover on Sunday when the regular classes start. We wouldn't mind having a few drinks with friends during a meet-n-greet but if we go on the crawl we will drink way more than we plan to, everyone does. It's not something we're against morally because we've been on many and will go on more. We just can't afford to be doing it during our #1 educational opportunity of the year.

Angela_Lawson
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Greg - I admit, I'm with you on this one. I have a mile to walk at 6:30 in the morning to get from my hotel to the convention center. I don't drink (other than coke or pepsi, lol), but I'm not bothered by those who do either. I just can't physically walk that much with my back problems, after spending the entire afternoon working at the print exhibit. So, for those of us who just want to grab a spot and chill with friends (and new friends :) what are your thoughts for a location? (BTW Tim, thanks for the offer of including us all though, it is appreciated!)

We could still "meet" in the lobby area of the convention center after the Print Exhibit is finished (around 6:00ish) and decide where we'd like to go (within a reasonable walking distance) from there? Just a thought.

GregYager
01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
That sounds great to me Angela and yes Tim, thanks for the invite but this is one time we need to be well rested and ready to learn.

We're staying in the same hotel if you need a ride Angela. We're driving down this year.

Tss1203
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not a drinker either, so I never have to worry about over doing it :) I just thought it would be nice to meet up at a bar with some other people. Not necessarily do the crawl though. Whatever we do is fine by me. I'm looking forward to it!

skweelz1
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
How about meeting for dinner? I heard Mothers is pretty good http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/ fairly close to convention center hotels.

Angela_Lawson
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
That would be great Greg! I appreciate it!

Tss1203
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Greg, c'mon, I think we learned more all hanging out together than we did in the classes ;0) Actually, I am hoping to learn more in the classes this year than I did last year...

Is anybody going to be in town on Friday??

skweelz1
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm getting in on Friday at 2

Cindi_K_McDaniel
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm not a drinker either, so I never have to worry about over doing it :) I just thought it would be nice to meet up at a bar with some other people. Not necessarily do the crawl though. Whatever we do is fine by me. I'm looking forward to it!

I'm with you girl! We can crawl responsibly together :p

Tim_Babin
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
The only bad thing about the schedule of the pub crawl is that it is crawling away from Canal Street and away from most of the attendee's hotels. If they end up on Frenchman Street - that's off the far end of the French Quarter, that's a very long walk back to a Canal Street area hotel or one in the Warehouse District - they'll probably have to catch a cab back to their hotel. It would have been better if it had crawled away from Canal Street and then back towards Canal Street instead of just crawling away leaving the crawlers partially intoxicated and on the other end of the Quarter.

That is why you get cabs Rick, but it is where the music is that is not so touristy. Anyone that is in the French quarter past 7pm should not be walking back to the Convention area anyway and should get a cab. So it is a moot point in my opinion. Canal is not a place you want to be after dark especially after 8pm.

Tss1203
01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm with you girl! We can crawl responsibly together :p

you got it Cindi!

Tim_Babin
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd be interested in doing a few of the stops on the crawl. Tim, the first few is it just your friend with his friends or will there be other photographers starting out the crawl...don't want to impose on your friend. I would also be interested in meeting at 12 bar since its super close to the convention hotels.

Really I'm up for anything but the more I read about the French quarter I'm getting nervous about going there alone.
Darci Amundson

My friends are all photographers. Though anyone can come, all that are meeting are photographers. The meet up at Pat OBriens will probably have 40 photographers there meeting in the courtyard bar.

I would'nt mind hitting one of the stops of the pub crawl.
Wherever we end up going I have a feeling the bars will be extra crazy with the Saints vs 9ers starting at 3:30pm CST.
The PPA charities event starts at 8pm In the Versailles Ballroom in the Hilton,so that may be a consideration for anyone interested in that.

I am thinking that a lot of people will be home watching. After 3weeks of being at home and the BCS game tonight with LSU, they will be tired. :) But feel free to come and go. The reason for the schedule is for people to meet us where ever and leave when they want.

Sorry guys but we won't be bar crawling. We don't wanna be suffering from a hangover on Sunday when the regular classes start. We wouldn't mind having a few drinks with friends during a meet-n-greet but if we go on the crawl we will drink way more than we plan to, everyone does. It's not something we're against morally because we've been on many and will go on more. We just can't afford to be doing it during our #1 educational opportunity of the year.

We have to drink responsibly if not at all even. Come out and have a some meet and greet, then leave when you want. It is not mandatory to drink or even go the whole way.

Greg - I admit, I'm with you on this one. I have a mile to walk at 6:30 in the morning to get from my hotel to the convention center. I don't drink (other than coke or pepsi, lol), but I'm not bothered by those who do either. I just can't physically walk that much with my back problems, after spending the entire afternoon working at the print exhibit. So, for those of us who just want to grab a spot and chill with friends (and new friends :) what are your thoughts for a location? (BTW Tim, thanks for the offer of including us all though, it is appreciated!)

We could still "meet" in the lobby area of the convention center after the Print Exhibit is finished (around 6:00ish) and decide where we'd like to go (within a reasonable walking distance) from there? Just a thought.

Angela, get into the Quarter and these bars are close by, within a few blocks. Except for Frenchman street which quite a few more blocks. You are all welcome. But I think you would have fun even if just for Pat O'Briens.

I'm getting in on Friday at 2

Hey call me we will be around in the pm around 6, 225.715.3551

I have been to almost 200 conventions, seminars, workshops, meeting and all of that in my 27 years. Dinners are tough to talk to a lot of people. In fact you are only talking to those in front and on the side. It is hard to even get a big table. But going to a place like a bar gives you the chance to mingle. When we walk from one place to the other the same thing. You get to talk to way more people. No worry about seating or forced gutuity. No worrying about sitting next to someone that passes continuous gas. Just having fun. Try it out. I promise you will like it.

skweelz1
01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
My friends are all photographers. Though anyone can come, all that are meeting are photographers. The meet up at Pat OBriens will probably have 40 photographers there meeting in the courtyard bar.

Hey call me we will be around in the pm around 6, 225.715.3551

Thanks for responding! Sounds fun, just wanting to meet other peeps (without gas). Will give you a call or text to see what is going on!

Angela_Lawson
01-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Amy,
I'm getting in pretty early on Friday - I think around 9:35am Friday morning. When are you arriving? I was thinking of taking in the Aquarium Friday afternoon, if you guys are up for it!

Darci - Welcome aboard. Where are you staying, and what time are you getting in on Friday? You are welcome to join us too! Maybe we can get a small group together to see the Aquarium?!

Tss1203
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
late morning/early afternoon I believe. PM me your cell and hotel info :)

skweelz1
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Amy,
Darci - Welcome aboard. Where are you staying, and what time are you getting in on Friday? You are welcome to join us too! Maybe we can get a small group together to see the Aquarium?!

Thanks Angela! This will be my 3rd Imaging just haven't had the time to get on the forum. I'll be in at 2 on Friday and will be at the Hilton Riverside. I was thinking about the aquarium but I think I'll want to see the city a bit before it gets dark.

George_Hawkins
01-10-2012, 03:10 AM
All well & good; is there one being a "contact" person? Mobile #?
I'm not so interested in the crawl of six bars, but I appreciate the history, Tim.
I'm getting in Thursday about 11:00, and interested in daytime walk and unhurried casual meals. I'm staying two nights at Pelham Hotel (hope not a mistake, thru "Book-It"), and then to Embassy Suites, which I stayed in last convention there - an easy walk from Hilton and convention center. Email on my mobile device is geo_hawkins@me.com

Tim_Babin
01-10-2012, 04:09 AM
George, just come to pat O's then, we will be there at the times listed.

Angela_Lawson
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Okay all, since we don't really have an official person taking care of organizing any get togethers with our fellow forum members, and I was the one that started this thread, I'll take responsibility. :o Anyway, if everyone would like to email me with their contact info. (ie. cell number and email address) I'll contact everyone if/when plans change, or new plans are made.

My email address is angela@aglphotography.net and my cell number is 616-667-7221. I'm getting in around 9:35am on Friday morning, so if anyone besides Amy wants to hook up and head to the Aquarium, or some other point of interest, let me know.

Hope this helps.
Angela

GregYager
01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Good call Angela. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow PPA Forum members as a group. These are the people I've chatted with all year and many have helped me more than they know so being able to thank them in person will be awesome.

We will be arriving Sat morning in time to help set up the print exhibit and our only plans after that is to meet up with our fellow PPA forum members.

If anyone needs to call or text us for any reason please feel free to do so. The number is 270-285-2914. You may also call 270-952-4536. One rings my left butt cheek and the other rings my right butt cheek. If you need Cindy her number is 270-285-2279.

Tss1203
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
should we call both simultaneously so both cheeks can ring?

GregYager
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
should we call both simultaneously so both cheeks can ring?

You know somebody's gonna try that now. :)

Tss1203
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
well of course!

Ed_Sharp
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Stereo Butt cheecks, NOLA watch out!

Did anyone get their bag tags from Marathon? Mine never arrived.

Tim_Babin
01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Bumping this again. If you cannot make anything else, at least make some of it and the Pat O'Briens deal will be fun.

Feel free to join us at the start or catch up with us later. Stay the whole time or leave early. It will be a good time either way. We are going to be at Pat O'briens at the same time as the Pro4um party. So you guys that are going to the Pro4um party can hang out with us for the first three stops if you like.

5:00 – Coyote Ugly New Orleans: Easy place to find and close to all PPA hotels. I'd prefer sit in a bar and wait for people rather than sitting in a hotel lobby waiting for people. Just me.

6:00 – Monteleon Carousel Bar: The Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge is the only revolving barin New Orleans, Louisiana. The bar is inside the Hotel Monteleone and overlooksRoyal Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Installed in 1949, the25-seat circular bar rotates at a rate of one revolution every 15 minutes. ErnestHemingway, William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and WinstonGroom are among the famous authors who have enjoyed drinks at the Carousel Bar.Hotel Monteleone and its Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge have been mentioned ina number of works of American literature.

7:00 – Pat O’Briens: A tthe end of prohibition in 1933, Pat O'Brien converted his speakeasy to alegitimate drinking establishment. A few years later Pat realized that he had outgrown his little space. He and his friend Charlie Cantrell decided to become partners and buy the building at 718St. Peter Street, the building that is now home to the world famous bar. The structure was originally built circa 1791 and became home to the first French Theater Company in New Orleans. In the mid 1940's, Pat O'Brien's Bar propelled when the Hurricane Drink was created.

8:30 – Johnny White’s: Twenty years ago Johnny White's Sports Bar open their doors on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans. Twenty years later, those doors are still open, and have NEVER been closed. Even for Hurricane Katrina.

9:30 – Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop: built between 1722 and 1732 by Nicolas Touze, is reputed to be the oldest structure used as a bar in the United States. Between 1772 and 1791, the property is believed to have been used by the Lafitte Brothers, Jean and Pierre as a New Orleans base for their Barataria smuggling operation.

10:30 – d.b.a.: **Live Music – Soul Rebels Brass Band - $10 Cover** This band will be one of the coolest things you see while visiting New Orleans. d.b.a. is located on Frenchmen Street in historic Faubourg Marigny. The building dates back to the 1880's and musicians say the all cypress wood music room is one of the warmest sounding rooms in New Orleans.

**DO NOT WALK AROUND THE FRENCH QUARTER IN GROUPS SMALLER THAN 8 TO 10 PEOPLE. THIS IS MY CITY AND I AM PROUD OF IT. HOWEVER, IT CAN BE A DANGEROUS PLACE FOR PEOPLE NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT. PLEASE TAKE A TAXI IF YOU BECOME SEPERATED FROM THE LARGER GROUP**

go to the facebook page here

Rick_Massarini
01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Stereo Butt cheecks...

Really !!!

Just don't put them on speaker...

Tim_Babin
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Hey everyone some info about a little demo and about the smart phone app, everyone should get that app

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?p=269865#post269865

George_Hawkins
01-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks for posting the times/locations again; if I had a printer, I'd print just your post!
I am in FL visiting relatives, and flying in on Thursday. I am making notes, and might enter it in my calendar app. BTW, I downloaded the IUSA 2012 app and wish I could enter times there, like one can star a favorite vendor or program!

Angela_Lawson
01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay all - for those of us that are working Print Exhibit set-up and won't be finished till around 6:00ish, and for anyone who just wants to get together and just hang out abit, we will plan to meet in the Convention Center lobby at 6:00pm. From there we can decide where to go. Anyone who wants to do the bar crawl with Tim's group, but would like to know where our group is going to end up, feel free to email or call me, and I can let you know.

GregYager
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Tim, thank you for inviting our group to join yours. I'm sure some will be going along and it sounds like fun for all, however, the purpose of this thread is to first organize a gathering of OurPPA Forum members. It might be a good idea to start a different thread for the bar crawl because it's confusing the process here.

No offense intended at all as you have been very courteous with your invites. It just keeps sidetracking Angela's efforts to discuss arrangements for the gathering.

As a member of multiple forums I'm sure you understand and I thank you in advance for taking this simply as an effort to avoid confusion.

Angela_Lawson
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Stereo Butt cheecks, NOLA watch out!

Did anyone get their bag tags from Marathon? Mine never arrived.

Got mine two days ago. I had been wondering too. Maybe they sent them out alphabetically?

Tim_Babin
01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Tim, thank you for inviting our group to join yours. I'm sure some will be going along and it sounds like fun for all, however, the purpose of this thread is to first organize a gathering of OurPPA Forum members. It might be a good idea to start a different thread for the bar crawl because it's confusing the process here.

No offense intended at all as you have been very courteous with your invites. It just keeps sidetracking Angela's efforts to discuss arrangements for the gathering.

As a member of multiple forums I'm sure you understand and I thank you in advance for taking this simply as an effort to avoid confusion.

Did not mean to step on any toes. No one had a plan and a photo buddy of mine had one. So I just wanted to keep people informed for new comers that do not read all the thread.

GregYager
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
It's all good Tim and thank you. You didn't step on any toes but I received a few e-mails from newcomers that were confused as to which group meeting was the PPA group.

George_Hawkins
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM
I have not seen the names here that wanted to be included, such as met during Tampa (my last IUSA), for an outdoor lunch time group photo!
I think darkness is about 5:30. Oh well!
Some did gather for refreshments later!

Rick_Massarini
01-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Okay all - for those of us that are working Print Exhibit set-up and won't be finished till around 6:00ish, and for anyone who just wants to get together and just hang out abit, we will plan to meet in the Convention Center lobby at 6:00pm. From there we can decide where to go. Anyone who wants to do the bar crawl with Tim's group, but would like to know where our group is going to end up, feel free to email or call me, and I can let you know.

I don't think it'll take that much time to set things up this year - it'll probably go a lot quicker since we have less prints this year than in the past since half of the entries were submitted digitally this year - and we have roughly the same number of people sign up to be PEC volunteers as we had last year - so we have the same number of workers, but fewer prints. We'll use the same procedure as last year - break up into several groups with each group setting up a different part of the exhibit. If we start at 12 Noon, I expect that we will probably be finished the setup and cleaning up the area somewhere around 3 PM or 4 at the latest.

Angela_Lawson
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think it'll take that much time to set things up this year - it'll probably go a lot quicker since we have less prints this year than in the past since half of the entries were submitted digitally this year - and we have roughly the same number of people sign up to be PEC volunteers as we had last year - so we have the same number of workers, but fewer prints. We'll use the same procedure as last year - break up into several groups with each group setting up a different part of the exhibit. If we start at 12 Noon, I expect that we will probably be finished the setup and cleaning up the area somewhere around 3 PM or 4 at the latest.

So does everyone want to keep the meet-up at 6:00pm at the convention center, or move the time, or place? If we are going to change anything, I need to contact all of the people I already have on the contact list.

Let me know your thoughts, everyone!

GregYager
01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I'd leave it the way it is.

Rick_Massarini
01-12-2012, 02:49 AM
All of the pre-convention programs end at 5 PM on Saturday - if that scheduling info helps...

Ed_Sharp
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
So does everyone want to keep the meet-up at 6:00pm at the convention center, or move the time, or place? If we are going to change anything, I need to contact all of the people I already have on the contact list.

Let me know your thoughts, everyone!

That works for me, I'll just follow you guys. ;)

On a different but related subject, if you are planning on using Airport Shuttle to get the $3 PPA discount make sure you book online at least 24 hours before your pick up time or the online booking system will not work.
http://imagingusa.org/hotels-travel/

Angela_Lawson
01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Okay - We'll leave the schedule as is.

Thanks for the tip Ed. I'm sure that will be appreciated.

Tim_Babin
01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Sorry Greg, but I am having to say a comment about the pub crawl. there has been a change to it, if you are going and before 7pm, call me 225.715.3551

rforthofer
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I will not be there at 6PM after all. I signed up for the NILMDTS session from 6-8PM on Saturday. Angela - I might text you at 8 or so to see if you guys are still out and about, and where I might meet up with you, if that's okay.

Tim_Babin
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Well the pub crawl was a blast. Now I am walking out the door for 7am class. William Branson. Anyone going.

GregYager
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Sorry Greg, but I am having to say a comment about the pub crawl. there has been a change to it, if you are going and before 7pm, call me 225.715.3551

Yeah, but this wasn't a pub crawl thread. I simply asked. Compliance is up to you.

Tim_Babin
01-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but this wasn't a pub crawl thread. I simply asked. Compliance is up to you.

Up to the point that you asked, there was no other thread and people had already known about it, so I just put a blurb about call me for changes. And they did. Not sure what the big harm is for trying to be inclusive. No one else had any plan till late.