PDA

View Full Version : Summer Shootout Results?

Chris_Paulis
11-13-2011, 12:12 AM
I've been watching all day for the results to be posted... Earlier info stated that this would be the day. Is this going to happen?

TRR_Photo
11-13-2011, 05:52 AM
I, too, was looking forward to learning the results of the Summer Shootout. In particular, I was anxious to receive the critiques ordered for my three submissions. I'm assuming the winners already have been contacted. I can only guess that the holiday weekend has delayed the news.

Keith_A_Howe
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I just got a text from Dennis Craft PEC Chairman. He said that the winners are to be announced at IUSA on Monday night. Those winning will get a call so they can make plans to attend. Good Luck to all!

TRR_Photo
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Does that mean we will not be receiving our critiques anytime soon either?

Karl_Moore
11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I too was interested in getting the critiques. This is my first time to submit images and I really wanted to see the feedback/critiques for help with possible submissions for other competitions.

Keith_A_Howe
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I talked to Dennis again, He said they are starting critiques this week and should be done in a few weeks. Just imagine going through all those images and doing a good critique, it takes time.

Heather_Kallhoff
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
so, confused...how are they announcing the winners? and what is iusa?

Linda_Gregory
11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Since there are so many first time posters, I'm wondering if those who have the questions are not aware of PPA as an organization.

We are Professional Photographers of America. :)

IUSA Is our annual convention, held in a different location every January. Imaging USA.

That is where the winners will be announced and then probably published somewhere on the website.

As for the critiques, I'm not sure how it's being handled but I know most of that type work is done on a voluntary basis by members who are busy trying to run their businesses so...they'll get them done as they can.

Avery_Munger
11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I think what Heather was asking was how will the actual winners know they've won? I believe the phone call that Keith mentioned in his post is something that the winners themselves will receive (if not already?) before the convention. And all of us will find out at IUSA.

Is that correct?

Karl_Moore
11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
My only confusion is with what was posted in the rules of the competition said:

"9. Winners and Prizes. Winners will be announced on November 12, 2010.
First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded in each of the four categories. An additional grand prize will be awarded for the photo judged to be the most outstanding from the four first-place winners. The prize levels are as follows:"

Now, apparently this has changed but there hasn't been any official update on this except what was posted above by Keith. My main interest was in the critiques anyway. I'm new to PPA so I don't know if changes like this are normal or if this an exception. It would just be nice to know.

Keith_A_Howe
11-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Karl
You raise some valid questions. I am merely forwarding the information I am receiving from Dennis Craft via text messages. I know if I were a participant, I would be questioning this also.

Keith

Chris_Paulis
11-15-2011, 03:53 AM
I wasn't really focused on the winners, since I'm a newbie and didn't think I had a chance. Like others, I was interested in my critique and in seeing the winning entries. I do think it would be appropriate for PPA to adhere to its published rules and guidelines or, at the least, make very public announcements about any deviations...

Dennis_Craft
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I have talked with PPA this morning and yes we are past the deadline to post the winners. No excuses we missed the deadline. They are working to post the results as soon as possible, hopefully today. Critiques are planned to be done by the end of December. Hope this helps, sorry.

Dennis Craft
Chairman Photographic Exhibition Committee

Heather_Kallhoff
11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
thank you dennis for letting us know! we know it is the busy time for everyone, we appreciate the update!!

TRR_Photo
11-16-2011, 03:51 AM
I just received my copy of PPA Today via email announcing the winners of the Summer Shootout.

Peter Lik is the Grand Prize Winner--really? What is he doing even entering the contest? Surely, he doesn't need the $1,000 prize or the exposure?! He has sold his art pieces to the rich and famous for tens of thousands and has his own television show...

While the winning images no doubt are worthy of the judges placements, I, personally, am dismayed. Maybe next year, there ought to be catagory for overly inflated egos.

Avery_Munger
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
... He has sold his art pieces to the rich and famous for tens of thousands and has his own television show...

Don't forget the 14 Galleries worldwide. ;)

While I agree that it seems unusual that someone like Peter is participating in this "low-level" ($1k prize) competition it was still a competition open to all photographers. As such, he was free to participate.

Granted it is disappointing to lose any competition, BUT (at least for me) it ticks me off enough to work harder to get better and market better to eventually be in Peter's position. :D

Congratulations to all the winners!

Keith_A_Howe
11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
While I would rather see the winner be a "typical " member then a celebrity, I didn't participate so I really can't complain. I am kinda betting that Peter Lik has no idea he even entered. I bet he has a staff person that's job is to enter him into contests and juried shows etc etc. I have a friend here in NE who travels all over the world photographing. He is not well known but even he has a full time person that runs the business end and handles contests, exhibitions, sales etc.

As far as the amount of the prize being relevant to him, I am sure that would not be the motivation for to enter. I send out a press release whenever I win some dinky minor award from my state small competitions ( NE has a couple little comps each year). The people who read that press release only know that I won another award. they do not know if it was a big hairy deal or a podunk competition. Either way I get the same publicity. I wonder if that's not the same motivation for someone like Peter Lik, to consistently keep their name in front of the public.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
One more thing, I don't know for a fact but I am 99.99% sure that the judges did not know who the photographer was when they selected the winners. That's how all PPA comps are and I can't see this one being any different.

Keith

GregYager
11-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I would be honored to win a competition that Peter was in. It would add to my sense of accomplishment. I'll never feel that honor if he doesn't enter.

The same applies to Richard Sturdevant. I truly wish to win a contest he enters. When that happens I will know I have accomplished something.

Avery_Munger
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I would be honored to win a competition that Peter was in. It would add to my sense of accomplishment. I'll never feel that honor if he doesn't enter.

The same applies to Richard Sturdevant. I truly wish to win a contest he enters. When that happens I will know I have accomplished something.

I agree Greg. That's how I'm looking at it. I also agree with Keith that it's highly likely Peter didn't even know he was in the competition. That was my first thought when I saw the results.

Michael
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
The neat thing about Peter is that in all of his galleries, he proudly exhibits his Master Of Photography Degree from Professional Photographers of America. The judges do not know who the entrants are until all is said and done as Keith pointed out. Peter values his PPA degree and enjoys competition just like many of us do. Kudo's to him for entering the Summer Shootout, and for entering the IPC every year. I believe that last year Peter went three out of four merits and one loan in the PPA International Competition.

TRR_Photo
11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
By all accounts, unless Peter wins, you would not know he entered...

In any case, someone from his camp knew he entered. Granted this was a professional competition, however, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Then, again, I'm from Vegas, so maybe I'm jaded when it comes to Mr. Lik.

Here's hoping he at least donates his winnings to one of the local photography programs here in Clark County, NV. That would make for good press too.

coolhoosier
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I, too, am interested in the critiques. But I'm also fascinated by the winners. The two images by Peter Lik just blew be away. Will the background behind those shots, and others, be available? For example, how did he find and process that tree in the Grand Prize winner? Amazing.

Stephanie_Millner
11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
First - you know Peter Lik actually still enters Print Comp every year? (Check your Loan books if you don't believe me!... nothing made me feel better than his 3-for-4 last year, when people were randomly PM'ing me to tell me "You know, it's REALLY easy to merit a pet.")

My husband's best friend is Peter's editor for his show. He's really down to earth, doesn't settle for less than perfection in his photography (that part isn't played up for the show!), and according to Chris "a darn cool guy". Stop hatin'. I'd rather see someone like Peter Lik - "a darn cool guy" - reach the ranks of greatness than most others any day of the week. He still knows his roots, and he's proud of his M.Photog, and still strives to be the best he can be!

By the way - he sold a million dollar print a few weeks ago.

ChontelleBrown
11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
nothing made me feel better than his 3-for-4 last year

Me too Steff. Not that I am happy that he did not go 4 for 4....but I was feeling very disappointed with my 3 for 4 with only one showcase. Realizing he had only gone 3 for 4 was my consolation.

I think it is great that he continues to enter print competition, certainly a great example for others.

Chontelle