PDA

View Full Version : Blown highlights

Roger_Williams
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I need some advice. I have an image of a surfer inside a pipeline. In the distance (top left corner) is a second pipeline and the surf beyond and above the second pipe lacks "some" detail. I feel the second pipe is needed so I don't want to crop it out and the blown surf really adds a lot to the power of the image but I'm concerned because of the lack of detail and the fact that it is the brightest part of the image. The surfer is actually the darkest part of the image because he is inside the pipe and the curl he is in does lead the eye to him. My question is if you have "any" blown highlights in an image, is that enough to keep the image from scoring well or going LOAN?

Keith_A_Howe
10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
It is way to hard to make a statement like any blown highlights would keep it from going merit or loan. It all depends on the image. We as judges each try to take in all the elements, look at the images strengths and it's weaknesses then decide on which category we think it should be in. Next we use the score to help place it within that category, high, in the middle or just barely in the category. I am going to say this again ... It is all about the image as a whole and how strong it's strengths are vs it's weaknesses. With out seeing the image it is hard to say. Can you share it?

Roger_Williams
10-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Keith. Yes I'll post it but it will be a few days, shooting a church directory so we are tied up for a while. :D

D._Craig_Flory
11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Sort of off topic. Roger, did you create the image in Raw Mode. I hope so. You could work the Raw File again to bring in highlight density, and details. Then, you can open that version & combine it with your existing version using a layer mask.