PDA

View Full Version : Simpleton Guidelines

Tungsten
10-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Personal success depends upon the person; however, organizational competition success is vague. I have seen implications that an 80/100 is a "passing" boundary, but where is this criterion explicitly stated?

Somehow I have missed the link,and any help is greatly apppreciated.

Rick_Massarini
10-06-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure that I'm clearly understanding your question - so if my answer is off target - let me know.

If you're looking for an explanation of the scoring ranges, here is some information from the Jury Chairman's manual - it might help explain how the judges decide upon what numerical score to place on an entry. I don't know if it is explicitly explained anywhere on the PPA website. I know that it is in the Jury Chairman's manual and is taught to all the jurors in the Judges Workshop. If I find it posted somewhere, I'll let you know.

What the judges look for in a merit print can be found in Bob Hawkin's article "The 12 Elements of a Merit Print" see - http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php. This article can be found on the competition page of the PPA website - a link to Bob's full article can be found at the bottom of the page.

I hope the following information helps explain the numerical scoring system a bit...
================================================== ================================================

From the PPA-PEC 2011 Jury Chairman's manual:

District Judging will use the point scoring system with 100 points being the maximum score an image may receive.
Select the grade level first, and then the corresponding score.
(Use the following point system):
Exceptional.................... 100-95
Superior.......................... 94-90
Excellent......................... 89-85
Deserving of a Merit.... 84-80
Deserving of Review.... 81-78
Above Average............. 79-75
Average.......................... 74-70
Below Exhibition Standards.... 69-65

Merit Print 80 and Above

An “ins and outs” review will be used for all entries receiving scores of 81 to 78 in the initial judging.
This review will take place before moving on to another submission category or prior to the end of a judging day.
This review may also take place prior to the end of a judging session.
The title of the image is to be read during this review.
The 81 to 80 images will be reviewed first. An entry in this category that is lowered to 79 is placed in the 79-78 category and reviewed again with the 79-78 category.
Any number of jurors may be used during “ins and outs”, eighty percent (80%) of active jurors are required to raise or lower a score.
The final score will be the official score.

Instructions to Jurors:
Pick Grade Level – Then select the score in that Level
Use the entire scoring range
Make no comparisons with other entries,
Chatting should be curtailed during judging
No writing during the judging when on a panel
When there are questions on an entry, score first then challenge and ask the Chairman the question.

Tungsten
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Rick,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for - a simple explanation on competition scoring.

Jimmy

D._Craig_Flory
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Jimmy; Friends and relatives could ooh & aah over your images. But - print competition is the ''yardstick'' to measure your images with your peers. It's a learning process. You cannot be frustrated but take some worth from each competition. If there is a print critique after a competition always take advantage of it. To have a judge, or at least a Master of Photography, give you a run-down of what could have made for a better image for competition will help you grow.