PDA

View Full Version : Competition Scoring Machines

frankpeele
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
My affiliate currently uses the scoring machine made by Duncan McNab. We want to computerize the scoring process through the use of 5 individual judges' keypads tied directly to a computer for averaging, displaying and logging scores. What hardware/software is proving to be most useful in this pursuit? One commercially-available package by RMF Products looks good except that it's limited to 3 judges. The company says they have no plans to expand its capabilities to allow 5-judge panels. Some other available packages are suitable to single-digit scoring schemes (such as used by the Photographic Society of America) but won't work with PPA's 100 point max scoring scheme.

Many thanks,
Frank Peele

Rick_Massarini
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
The new "scoring machines" used by PPA use ipods, a Macbook and it's own wireless network in place of the numerical entry boxes and runs on a program written by PPA's own programmers. It's not available on the open market unless PPA decides to offer their program for sale.

Also - the new PPA scoring program uses 6 judges and a Jury Chairman. All six jurors (5 plus the alternate) score every print - the person in the alternate chair scores every print even though the score is not used. If anyone on the panel disqualifies themselves, the program automatically picks up the score of the alternate in place of the judge who DQ'ed, and gives the result without announcing the disqualification of the juror. It's tracking capabilities are very impressive. It tracks the names of the judges who judged each image, the score given by each judge and how long it took that judge to enter the score, it records every challenge, and the scores on the challenge, and records every time a judge disqualifies. It is quite an impressive program and gives the PEC a tremendous tool for evaluating their judges !

frankpeele
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Many thanks, Rick. Sounds like a well-planned and -executed solution. I hope to learn if there are there other hardware/software combinations out there that are available now.

All the best,
Frank Peele, CPP
Secretary, Inland Empire Professional Photographers and Videographers, Inc.

Keith_A_Howe
10-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Check with ppof nebraska, I know they just set up an Ipod system but I do not know all the details. Judged with it a few weeks ago and it seemed to do the job, not the ppa system but it is available now. PPofN President is Jessica Galaska photobyjes@yahoo.com

frankpeele
10-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Many thanks, Keith. I've sent a request to Jessica.

All the best,
Frank Peele, CPP