PDA

View Full Version : Letters are out

Keith_A_Howe
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Well the letters to degree canidates for New Orleans went out. Seeing as how I am on council and we have to vote approval on all new degree canidates, I will happily be accepting bribe money starting now! :D Congratulations to everyone who got a letter!

Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
09-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Thank you for the update - one of those letters should be coming to me. I'm so excited!

Cheri_MacCallum
09-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I got mine..... ;-)

Joe_Campanellie
09-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm not getting a degree but you can send money anyway...!

Jeff_Dachowski
09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Keith, did you get a letter?
Jeff

Mark_Levesque
09-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Dang. With Keith on council, a veto is practically guaranteed.

Jeff_Dachowski
09-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I got mine..... ;-)

Cheri....can I tell you how happy I am for you? All four degrees!!!! You rock girlfriend!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
09-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Keith, did you get a letter?
Jeff

Realized I never answered this. Yes, I got a letter. It was from GMC offering me an extended warranty on my Envoy. Is that the letter you were asking about?

Keith

Michael_Gan
09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Dang. With Keith on council, a veto is practically guaranteed.I take it congratulations will be in order? ;)

Mark_Levesque
09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
If I can bribe Keith to withhold his veto. Oh, I suppose this means you're part of the shakedown, too? Hahaha.

Michael_Gan
09-27-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not like keith. I only accept large bribes.

Keith_A_Howe
09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't think the board gets to vote, just council. Don't send Michael any money.

Keith

Michael_Gan
09-27-2011, 07:46 PM
LOL. We're non-elected council members;) Email of my address coming up:D

Christine_Walsh-Newton
09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I haven't received a letter, yet.

I have 13 speaking merits, 15 service merits and 10 exhibition merits, so I was anticipating being able to apply for the Craftsman Degree.

I was credited with my 13th speaking merit on 9/12/11 - did that perhaps come in after the initial list was compiled? Should I call and check, or should I just be patient?

Thanks

Keith_A_Howe
09-28-2011, 01:03 AM
I would email Christel. She is really great about responding promptly.

However, if you use 12 of your 15 service merits toward your Cr. degree, then what if you earn the last 3 print merits for your M.Photog. next year? You would only have 3 service merits so you wouldn't be able to get your Masters. (Unless you came up with 9 more service /speaking merits between now and then). If that's do-able then No sense putting off the Cr. But if it will delay the M.Photog., if it were me, that would be the one I really wanted. Just something to think about.

Keith

Michael_Gan
09-28-2011, 03:10 AM
The Craftsman letters will go out shortly after Super Monday is complete.

Keith_A_Howe
09-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Michael, I know some people have already received their Craftsman letters. because a friend sent me a picture of his.

Keith

Michael_Gan
09-28-2011, 03:42 AM
I know that there were something like only 29 names on the list and 70 Masters. I'd hang tight just a little bit longer before making the call.

Karen_Walker
09-28-2011, 04:29 AM
I got my Craftsman letter last Thursday.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I'll hang tight on the Craftsman letter, just in case.

Keith, I have a plan for those last 9 merits. I'm doing a SuperMonday in a few weeks, which will take care of 2, I'm a CPP Liason, which will earn me another 2 in December. I will be working a district competition print room/image exhibit in March and hope to earn 2 PEC merits there and will also be applying to teach both SuperMondays in 2012, which should be an added 4 if I get students at both. I can also do a few webinars if need be and I'm probably also going to attend an affiliate school in 2012, so if the stars all align right, I should get at least 12 by this time next year. I had thought of waiting and having both conferred at once, but I'm impatient. :)

Christine_Walsh-Newton
09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Correction - I got my letter. A "helpful" person placed it off to the side for me and I just saw it.

Keith_A_Howe
09-28-2011, 11:07 PM
I had thought of waiting and having both conferred at once, but I'm impatient. :)

I know what my wife would have said when she was getting her degrees "what???? both at once so I only get to buy one dress?"

Keith

Rick_Massarini
09-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I'll hang tight on the Craftsman letter, just in case.

Keith, I have a plan for those last 9 merits. I'm doing a SuperMonday in a few weeks, which will take care of 2, I'm a CPP Liason, which will earn me another 2 in December. I will be working a district competition print room/image exhibit in March and hope to earn 2 PEC merits there and will also be applying to teach both SuperMondays in 2012, which should be an added 4 if I get students at both. I can also do a few webinars if need be and I'm probably also going to attend an affiliate school in 2012, so if the stars all align right, I should get at least 12 by this time next year. I had thought of waiting and having both conferred at once, but I'm impatient. :)

Christine,
You do not get Service Merits from working at a District Judging unless you are the overall coordinator of the competition. Working as a print handler does not earn you any Service Merits. The only two places that I know of that you earn Service Merits for working as a print handler is at the IPC (International Photographic Competition), and at the National Convention. If you volunteer to work at the IPC, you receive 2 Service Merits for the five days of work - if you work at the Convention hanging and taking down the prints, you can earn another Service Merit. I've worked at the Southwest Judging for many years and have never received a merit for my service there (nor did I expect to receive any from working the SWPPA Judging). The Southwest Judging starts tomorrow - due to some medical issues, I will not be there this year - it'll be the first one I've missed in many years.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
09-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I received 2 PEC merits from working the MidEast print room/judging/image exhibit set-up & tear-down in 2010. I just assumed I'd get the same from working Northeast in 2012. No biggie. I'll still be there. I'm in charge of the image exhibit. (I'm on the PPO BOD).

Jeff_Dachowski
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Christine,
You do not get Service Merits from working at a District Judging unless you are the overall coordinator of the competition. Working as a print handler does not earn you any Service Merits. The only two places that I know of that you earn Service Merits for working as a print handler is at the IPC (International Photographic Competition), and at the National Convention. If you volunteer to work at the IPC, you receive 2 Service Merits for the five days of work - if you work at the Convention hanging and taking down the prints, you can earn another Service Merit. I've worked at the Southwest Judging for many years and have never received a merit for my service there (nor did I expect to receive any from working the SWPPA Judging). The Southwest Judging starts tomorrow - due to some medical issues, I will not be there this year - it'll be the first one I've missed in many years.
Rick,
You are incorrect. If you are the print crew for a regional or national judging, you recieve two service merits.
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
09-29-2011, 08:07 PM
That's interesting... I've worked the SWPPA judging for many years and never received any merits for working it - I'll have to look into it - if that's the case, then PPA probably owes me another bar...

I looked it up on the PPA Merits page of the website and it does state:
Service Merits
These merits can be earned through PPA, PPA Affiliates, and the Photographic Exhibitions Committee (PEC).
PEC Level
Serve as Jury Chair, Co-Chair or Jury Chairperson-in-Training.
Serve as Print Juror.
Serve as a PEC Volunteer for a District or International Photographic Competition.

Do you know if that is a new change effective this year or if it has always been that way?
I know that there was some restructuring of the merit system done at this year's Council meeting.
Was this one of the changes on the consent agenda or was it always this way?
Because they never gave out any merits in the past 10 years for working at the Southwest judging.

Christine - Sorry about posting incorrect info, but this is news to me.

Jeff_Dachowski
09-29-2011, 09:48 PM
That's interesting... I've worked the SWPPA judging for many years and never received any merits for working it - I'll have to look into it - if that's the case, then PPA probably owes me another bar...

I looked it up on the PPA Merits page of the website and it does state:
Service Merits
These merits can be earned through PPA, PPA Affiliates, and the Photographic Exhibitions Committee (PEC).
PEC Level
Serve as Jury Chair, Co-Chair or Jury Chairperson-in-Training.
Serve as Print Juror.
Serve as a PEC Volunteer for a District or International Photographic Competition.

Do you know if that is a new change effective this year or if it has always been that way?
I know that there was some restructuring of the merit system done at this year's Council meeting.
Was this one of the changes on the consent agenda or was it always this way?
Because they never gave out any merits in the past 10 years for working at the Southwest judging.

Christine - Sorry about posting incorrect info, but this is news to me.
Rick,
I am not sure when it was started. I do know that i got merits for this past judging in the spring.
Jef

Kari_Douma
10-02-2011, 02:46 AM
I got mine! :)

HeatherLee
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Any idea when the letters are going out for Atlanta?

HeatherLee
09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Well I just got mine for Atlanta! ***doing the happy dance***

Karen_Walker
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Me too! Got my letter today for my Masters. See you in Atlanta!

Steven_Yahr
10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Got my letter last week for Masters ,See everyone in Atlanta !!

Stephanie_Millner
10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Um, I HOPE I get mine before Imaging... I haven't gotten mail in 3 months here!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
When is the deadline? I'm sitting at 48 merits, but have 2.5 earned and pending and teaching a Super Monday on the 15th (worth another 2). Getting nervous...

Keely_Deuschle
10-26-2012, 08:40 PM
If we've reached the required number since the letters went out in September, will we still get a letter? Am I correct in that they had to be processed by PPA by October 31st? My last two recently were added. Christine, I was really nervous too!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Keely - I asked the PPA on the phone about that and the fellow I talked to said that after the Super Monday merits were added in (my particular case) that there would be a 2nd round of letters going out in November to cover those of us that got merits just recently. SO - hang tight, we should be hearing something in the next few weeks.

Keely_Deuschle
10-27-2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the update, Christine!