PDA

View Full Version : PPA and VooDoo Magic?

strangestan
09-20-2011, 05:55 AM
I have visited New Orleans a number of times and even honneymooned there. The French Quarter is an amazing experience with its great food, world-class music, old-world charm and lots of history. An appealing location for a convention.

There is also the dark side. Spiritism is real and it's serious and should not to be triffled with. Just because it's a fact of life in New Orleans and flaunted on nearly every block in the Quarter doesn't mean it's harmless or cute. it is neither.

A word to the wise. Don't mess with it. Don't play around with it or you will be sorry. There's plenty of good things to see and spend your money on. Focus on those things.

Vance_Wagener
09-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Having been born in New Orleans I can tell you that the Vudoo shops on Bourbon St. in the French Quarter is just for good ol tourist fun and are nothing to be feared. Stick to the main streets and lit areas and you will be fine. If you are seeking thrills do it in your own back yard. New Orleans is my home town but like any city there are rules. You don't go to Cabrini–Green (aka the projects) in Chicago as a tourist. New Orleans has a lot to offer. I highly recommend the Aquarium, Court of Two Sisters (Restaurant), Pat O'Brian's and Club 360 (rotating bar) at night.

Rick_Massarini
09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes - fear Voodoo - somebody once burned a black candle on a picture of me and I wound up married with two kids...

Like Vance said - all that Voodoo stuff is just for the tourists and probably a small bunch of wierd locals...

Linda_Gregory
09-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Stan Strange..I knew a Stan Strange who was an excellent photographer in Iowa. Are you that Stan?

Mark_Turner
09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
The voodoo doll was not a good choice. I know it's been commercialized and trivialized, but voodoo is a religion. Not one that I want anything to do with.

KirkDarling
09-21-2011, 01:06 PM
{Mod}Let's talk more about good places to go and fun things to do in New Orleans and less about religion on the forum.{/Mod}

Mark_Turner
09-21-2011, 02:25 PM
What? I was on topic.

The topic is the voodoo/PPA connection in the ad for Imaging. So with you logic, Kirk, PPA needs to remove the religion from it's ad. Thanks for agreeing with me.

KirkDarling
09-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Actually, I hadn't realized that it was a reference to an ad--I use "AdBlock" so I don't even see them, and the OP didn't point out that it was a ad.

But we don't want to get into discussing the merits (or demerits) of anyone's religion in this particular place.

Joe_Galioto
09-21-2011, 04:47 PM
stan
the big easy is just that, an easy city to visit, the whole voodoo thing is played up for the tourist and i can't think of anyone attending a convention getting caught up in it.
a visit to rome doesn't convert you to catholic.
as in any urban city around the world, be aware of where you are and your belongings. always protect your wallet or handbag from pick pockets
thieves always pray on the tourist, but that's no reason to stay home

steph_747
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Let's get back to what to do while in NOLA! Yep, been to the Court of Two Sisters and Pat O'Brien's. Gotta hit Cafe du Monde for coffe and beignets in the morning. Ride the street car, see the Streetcar Named Desire (it was there once upon a time - still there?), the gardens are LOVELY. Maybe we should bring a camera? ; )
Can't wait!!!

Tim_Babin
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
My nickname is the voodoo daddy. I got it because I have had to get a lot of acupuncture for pinched nerves in my neck and shoulder. So I said I was like a voodoo doll and one of my friends called me the voodoo daddy. LOL.

Anyway, I was giving a workshop in a small town in British Columbia, Canada. And on the Sign it had The VooDoo Daddy workshop. This woman shows up in the hotel and wants to speak to the organizer, I was there and she wanted to talk about her becoming a voodoo priestess. LOL, I busted out laughing.

Voodoo or anything else like that cannot do anything to you unless you believe in it. I choose not to believe in anything like that, so it does not affect me. Just for tourist show.

Joe_Galioto
10-13-2011, 07:28 PM
big bad voodoo daddy, one of my favorite bands

Ron_Jackson
10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Tim while living in California, I got the nickname, Voodoo Magic man. I am a magician member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood and did a few tricks using Voodoo as the theme thus the nickname. When i saw the term Voodoo Magic used to promote Imaging I was a bit surprised.

Do you still get the acupuncture?

Rick_Massarini
10-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Let's get back to what to do while in NOLA!
...see the Streetcar Named Desire (it was there once upon a time - still there?)...

Just a bit of Old N'Awlins history...

I know a LOT on this subject because I'm from New Orleans - and I'm old...

The Streetcar named Desire was titled after one of the Streetcar lines that ran from Canal Street downriver into what is called the Bywater district (where I used to live) which is where Desire Street is located. If you need any more information, please call or PM me - The street on which I was raised was three blocks from Desire Street and the "streetcar named Desire" ran down Dauphine St - which was on one side of my city block. The streetcar traveled from Canal Street down Dauphine Street and made a turn at Desire to go north then back up to Canal. The name Desire on the streetcar was there because it was the end of that particular line. The city tacked the Desire name on a couple of the red streetcars that they have running on the riverfront line just for tourist appeal - the original New Orleans Streetcars were all painted green - I think they got the idea to paint them red from San Francisco - most of the locals down here hate the red streetcars on the riverfront line since they are NOT Original New Orleans color. . The streetcar named Desire was replaced by a bus line many years ago when I was a kid. The city took the streetcars off the Desire line and replaced them with buses when I was in grade school.. As the local song says... "Ain't there no more"...

If you're looking to ride an old New Orleans Streetcar, take the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar out to Audubon Park. It runs through the Garden District and is a really nice ride through a section that has some of the oldest historic homes in the city.

And even if you're not into "strip clubs", you just can't visit New Orleans and NOT take an evening stroll down Bourbon Street. It's really kinda tacky, but that's old New Orleans, and you really have to experience it - the strip clubs and the hawkers outside trying to pull people in to see the dancers in the bars - it's like a flash back to the past - back to a simpler time - it's an area that most locals avoid (I know that I do), but it IS what New Orleans is known for all over the world (kinda sad for us locals, when you think about it), but guys, make sure you don't put your wallet in your back pocket - 'cause it won't be there when you leave the bar... put it in your front pocket - and gals, don't carry a a purse with you !!!!

And no matter what you've seen on TV or in the movies that were supposedly based in New Orleans - strings of beads are available at local discount houses for a couple dollars for a gross of strings... and they throw them out in tons on Mardi-Gras Day - so the stuff you hear in the movies and on Bourbon Street about how ladies get the strings of beads - that is just a load of movie bull that is propagated ON the tourists BY the tourists .... so don't believe it - and DON'T fall for it !!! We just get stuck with being responsible for it - even though it's all tourist to tourist stuff that's going on down there in the Quarter !!!

Restaurants - Deanie's Seafood has been a local favorite for many years - they now have a location down in the French Quarter - if you want seafood at a reasonable price - look into Deanie's Seafood. If you have a car - try the original one out in Bucktown by the Lake - in my opinion, it's better than the location in the Quarter - and it's cheaper !

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Cafe is nice. I had lunch there a few weeks ago, and was very satisfied. You might even run into Jimmy when you're down there - he almost ran into me on the GNO bridge a while back - but that's a another story...

If you're Italian, you just can't possibly visit New Orleans without getting one of the Original Muffelata sandwiches at Central Grocery on Decatur - the HOME of the Muffelata. And if you have to go back to New York without tasting the "ORIGINAL'... Then I'll just have to feel sorry for you...

There were a lot of other restaurants that were outstanding that I could have recommended... but unfortunately, Katrina took most of them...

If I remember any more that you might want to visit that I haven't listed here - I'll post them on this thread later... The problem I have as a a local is that, quality wise, you really can't go wrong with most of the restaurants down in the Quarter - but on the basis of price... now that's another hing...

Voodoo or anything else like that cannot do anything to you unless you believe in it. I choose not to believe in anything like that, so it does not affect me....

Hey Tim...
I wouldn't be too sure about that, dude - I didn't believe in voodoo either... but I still got the wife and two kids...