PDA

View Full Version : Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?

robertash3000
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi,

Over the past 2 months I taught 2 workshops in the midwest (Topeka, Kansas). Both were for local photographers and enthusiasts. For one the State Theater of Kansas did a special opening of some historic rooms and for the other the legislature thru a state representative approved a special opening of the State Capitol building for my workshop. Both focused on architectural photography.

Is there a way to get PPA credit for such workshops? There's a similar thread on a similar topic on speaker credit (http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22494), but this question involves credit for teaching workshops.

Thanks,
Robert

Mark_G_Woods
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
As I understand it, credit (merits) will only be awarded to instructors for PPA (pre)approved courses. Merit programs must be arranged in advance and then advertised as a PPA education program (I don't recall the exact title). PPA members would then receive a merit for the class. Non members would if they become a PPA member within xx number of days. Merits cost $25 each, out of the money collected from the class. Everyone must pay the same amount for the class regardless of their member or non-member status. In other words you can't charge a member more because they get a merit.

robertash3000
09-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Mark,

Thanks. Makes sense. Where can I find out more specifics? I may have a 3rd workshop coming up in December, the first two were really popular.

Mark_G_Woods
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
There's more to it. You would have to be a PPA member first (I assume you are) I am pretty sure you have to be an approve instructor too. But we are way out of my area now. You could contact PPA (maybe try Christel at caprigliano@PPA.com) and ask or maybe search the website for more info. I am sure someone else could chime in here with more knowledge than me. :-)

Michael_Black
09-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Volunteer to host a Super Monday program.

robertash3000
09-15-2011, 04:18 AM
What is a Super Monday program?

These workshops were on Saturday mornings. As I share above, the state representative got approved a special opening of the State Capitol building for one of them. I flew in for the weekend and flew out on Sunday afternoon.

Jeff_Dachowski
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
You have to be a PPA member to earn merits towards a degree, but if you are teaching a PPA approved program, there does not need to be any PPA members in attendance. It only needs to be open to PPA members to pay to attend. PPA members must be able to attend, and pay the same amount as a non member would. You need to contact PPA and find out who is handling cont ed right now. Last I knew the sprite that was handling that was on super beautiful baby leave. She might be back, but I hate to give her name in case she is not.
Jeff

robertash3000
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Mark, Michael, Jeff,

Thank you all very much. I will try Christel as a start.

I am a PPA member (about a year now) and am also on the board of directors of our local PPA affiliate (Professional Photographers of the Greater Bay Area).

Will let you know how it goes, and thanks again! and any other thoughts, guidance and ideas are warmly welcomed.

Robert

Michael_Gan
09-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Last I knew the sprite that was handling that was on super beautiful baby leave. She might be back, but I hate to give her name in case she is not.
Jeff
Ohhhh, she back alright:) Been so for since late July;)

Kari_Douma
10-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't think your program has to be a PPA approved program to get the merit. It does have to be a PPA approved program for your attendees to get a merit. But, if you teach a program to an affiliate PPA group, or a super monday, you can get merits. I was the president of a local affiliate group. We were allotted a certain number of merits that we could give to our speakers, based on our membership numbers. The speakers did not have to have their programs approved.

I just taught a class for our state affiliate. When they asked me to teach, I asked them if I could have a merit for it. They said yes. I am also signed up to teach a super Monday this month. I will also get a merit for that.

Mark_G_Woods
10-02-2011, 03:37 AM
That is true, but the classes Robert is talking about are not associated with any PPA group.