PDA

View Full Version : Print Comp potential?

Marie_M
08-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
I'd like to get some opinions on this image for print comp. I can take constructive criticism, fire away. I'd like to know if this has potential, or should I trash it and start over...
Thanks!
Marie

http://www.mariemitchellphotography.com/white_ibis.jpg

Joe_Galioto
08-20-2011, 11:42 PM
marie
trash
the lighting would not make it
sorry

Marie_M
08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Joe!
Trash it is!
So I can watch out the next time, is it the "molting" of the light on the bill that is bad...or something else. Really appreciate it!

Rick_Massarini
08-21-2011, 12:55 AM
The patchy hot spots on the body and the bill - usually referred to as hatchet lighting since it chops up your subject - will keep the image down. The shadows under the bird in the area around the legs have no detail.

Linda_Gregory
08-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Yeah, maybe not for competition but how fun to get that close and to get it sharp! I aspire. And then...I'd work on the hatchet light. :)

Cindi_K_McDaniel
08-21-2011, 03:45 AM
I agree that it's not a comp piece, but I'm in love with all the vibrant colors!

GregYager
08-21-2011, 04:58 AM
I'm just proud to say that I now know what hatchet light is. I've never heard that term before.

The man to give you some really good advice here is Joe C. He has some incredible avian work and loves to share his knowledge in that field.

Rick_Massarini
08-21-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm just proud to say that I now know what hatchet light is. I've never heard that term before.

I can't believe that you've never heard that term before - that's what dappled sunlight burning out hot spots on people's faces has been called for as long as I can remember - for at least 30 years - and my long term memory is still OK - I just can't remember where I put my keys an hour ago ... Maybe it's just a Southern or a New Orleans term...

GregYager
08-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Keep in mind I was isolated from the photography community for 15 years before joining the PPA last year. I've obviously dealt with the problem I just didn't know the darned thing had a name.

Marie_M
08-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions and info about the hatchet light, its pretty plain to see, I just did not "see" it. Thats certainly something I'm going to watch for from now on!
Thanks Cindi for your comment...its appreciated too!

Marie_M
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, maybe not for competition but how fun to get that close and to get it sharp! I aspire. And then...I'd work on the hatchet light. :)

Thanks, Linda! Definately something I will be watching for! Really appreciate the positive comment too.

Rick_Massarini
08-21-2011, 07:21 PM
That's the most important thing about print competition - it teaches you to see things that you wouldn't have otherwise seen. In most cases, you learn more from your misses than from your hits.