PDA

View Full Version : Room Sharing IUSA 2012 New Orleans

SRFolino
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
My wife and I have room reservations at the host hotel (Hilton) from Wednesday January 11, 2012 (for pre-convention classes) through check-out on Wednesday January 18, 2012. The room had two beds.

We're looking for a female, non-smoking roomie.

Rick_Massarini
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Just a friendly warning about your personal safety - make sure that you know who it is that you are rooming with. You are logged into the open section of the forum, and anyone can log into it using an assumed name. You don't want to wake up in the morning and find that the roommate you hooked up with on-line is gone and so is your wallet and your cameras... You might want to try posting this in the members only section - that way you are sure that the respondant is a PPA member and not a thief.

Joe_Galioto
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Rick
all good sound information
but, I had a business partner who was a ppa member as well as a thief.
just saying, ppa membership does not make us virtuous .

Zack_Davis
08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
just saying, ppa membership does not make us virtuous

There goes my hopes of attaining knighthood. :(

Rick_Massarini
08-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Well, it may not assure you that the person is not a thief - but it might assure you that you're rooming with a legitimate conventioneer and not someone who hooked up with you under the premise of sharing room expenses, only intending to make off with your wallet and credit cards in the middle of the night. Remember - it's not like you're in Jersey - you are going to be in New Orleans...

Charrie61
09-01-2011, 03:39 AM
I'm also looking for a female, non-smoking roommate. Please pm me if interested.

Sydney__Shaw_
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Rick, I take some offense to that. I am from South Louisiana, and the convention may only be a 45 minute drive for me but I was looking into staying at a hotel. New Orleans is no worse off than any other city in the nation. We have a brand to be a "partying" city but by no means does that make even a third of the people here thieves.

Anyway, I may come back to this page with the interest of rooming just because I don't see myself spending $165 a night when I live an hour away. Decision making to come.

Ron_Jackson
09-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I find it just humous to think some goofball thief would be lurking out here just waiting for someone to need a roommate and they have no interest in photography. Just a funny image in my brain. Good grief Charlie Brown.

Rick_Massarini
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Rick, I take some offense to that. I am from South Louisiana, and the convention may only be a 45 minute drive for me but I was looking into staying at a hotel. New Orleans is no worse off than any other city in the nation. We have a brand to be a "partying" city but by no means does that make even a third of the people here thieves.

Anyway, I may come back to this page with the interest of rooming just because I don't see myself spending $165 a night when I live an hour away. Decision making to come.

Sydney - see my Private Message to you...

Rick_Massarini
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
but by no means does that make even a third of the people here thieves.

Let's see - in an area of 100,000 people, if a third are thieves - that still works out to a lot...

I find it just humous to think some goofball thief would be lurking out here just waiting for someone to need a roommate and they have no interest in photography. Just a funny image in my brain. Good grief Charlie Brown.

It's not so funny when you wake up in the morning and find your wallet with all of your cash, credit cards, and identification missing - and so is your internet roommate. It HAS happened in the past. And the thief isn't a "goofball" - he or she is brash and dangerous.

Again - I'm not saying not to share a room, or not to use the forum to do so - Just be careful, and be sure that the person you are sharing a room with is a legitimate PPA conventioneer and not an internet predator. New Orleans is a great place to visit - Just be careful everyone...

Cindi_K_McDaniel
09-09-2011, 02:38 AM
I agree with Rick (yes, that actually happens sometimes) because I would feel better about finding a roomie in the members only section...

skweelz1
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I am looking to share a room within walking distance. I am flexible with dates but would like to do a little sight seeing before convention so if you are doing pre-convention classes that would be great. Would prefer female roomie/s. I am 32 female, Denver photographer...this will be my 3rd Imaging.
Please e-mail me at portraits@darciphotography.com of you have a room and would like to share!
Thank you,
Darci Amundson Photography

Howard_Barlow
10-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Now you guys have me worried. My wife will be sharing a room with me. I guess I will have to stay up all night to keep an eye on her. Well, no, not her, just my wallet and Jenny Wine Timex watch. I never knew she was a thief. Thanks for the warning.