PDA

View Full Version : Competitions a gateway to PPA mag?

Appoldt
08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Gang,

Tenured PPA member, but first-time poster!

Having just read my digital delivery of PPA magazine, I'm curious if I can get some affirmations and answers from forum members. I've become curious as to how I might have an image in front of the photo editors at PPA magazine, and poking around have come up with:

1. To have your image featured in PPA magazine, your likely best route is to compete in the International Photo Competition...

1a....Which is your only route into the PPA Loan Collection, from where images are pulled for the magazine's features and galleries...

1b....Which is also a way to "earn" merits...

1c....Which costs you $95 per image to enter?

2. Is William Wegman, and/or all featured photographers in the magazine a PPA member?

Thanks - not sure I understand!

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2011, 09:38 PM
To make it to the Folio section, you need to participate in in IPC (and get images into the Loan Collection.) But getting images into the Loan Collection is no guarantee of making the Folio section. You do earn (not "earn") exhibition merits for Loan Collection images, but also for merit images (hance the name.)

It does not cost $95 per image to enter IPC. It costs $95 per case of up to 4 images.

I don't think it is a requirement of being featured in Professional Photographer that one be a PPA member. I am not sure whether William Wegman is or is not, but he is a renowned photographer in his own right.

Hope this helps.

Appoldt
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
That helps, Mark! Thanks!

Wegman is indeed a photographer, and certainly an artist. I've met the man, and been to every exhibition of his I could find in the NY area over the years.

Rick_Massarini
08-04-2011, 05:56 AM
.... I'm curious if I can get some affirmations and answers from forum members. I've become curious as to how I might have an image in front of the photo editors at PPA magazine, and poking around have come up with:

1. To have your image featured in PPA magazine, your likely best route is to compete in the International Photo Competition...

1a....Which is your only route into the PPA Loan Collection, from where images are pulled for the magazine's features and galleries......

That's the way it was in the past - but in the last few years, most of the images in the magazine including the cover images (other than the folio section), have been selected by the magazine's editorial staff and not by being pulled from the Loan Collection. Personally, I wish that they would go back to using the Loan Collection for their covers, featured images, and member focus images.

...1b....Which is also a way to "earn" merits...!
Competition is the only way to earn Exhibition merits. You can also earn Service Merits by volunteering to work at the PPA Convention, and by doing various jobs of service for your State and/or Local PPA Affiliate Organization. You earn Speaking merits by presenting educational programs at local, state, regional and national association meetings

...1c....Which costs you $95 per image to enter?...
That entry fee is for a full print case of up to four images, not just one.