PDA

View Full Version : Got my competition critiques

Angela_Lawson
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I have to say that I am extremely glad that I ordered the critiques, especially since none of my prints merited. I admit to feeling very disappointed after the results came out, even though I knew some of the faults of the images already. But after listening to the critiques and seeing the very small things that could have been changed, I actually feel better. Seems strange to say that, considering that three out of the four prints would have been very close in the jurors opinions, but now I know what to do differently next time. I was also told that my lighting on my subjects was good, my color balance was good, and my technique was good. It was just small things, like a different crop, a little more contrast, ect. that would have bumped it up. I'm so happy that the things that I really wanted to have right, were right, that I'm okay with them not meriting. I now know what I need to work on, and also know that I've finally got a handle on some of the things I struggled with previously. One of the jurors who actually critiqued two of my images, made a point to tell me that I was "a very good photographer". I felt that after the critique, it was nice to hear that I was "close" to making it to merited status. It just means that making it to "Master's" status will take a little longer, but I will know that I've truly earned it when I get there.

So, to anyone else that is in a similiar position, don't give up!!! We just have to hit it big for next year!

Joe_Galioto
06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
angela
i love your great attitude
you'll get there sooner then you think

GregYager
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Success is wonderful but often we learn more from our failures. Your outlook is exactly where it needs to be in order to get the most out of competition. I love getting tough critiques because those are the ones that benefit me the most. I had 2 images merit this year and both received several harsh critiques. It's those critiques that led to the merits.

Tss1203
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm so glad you feel this way, Angela! I do too. The critiques are so unbelievably helpful. I got some great pointers as well. It really does ease your mind knowing how close you are.

I must give the judges credit for being able to critique in such a compassionate way! Kudos to them for taking the time and being helpful :0)

Stephanie_Millner
06-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I didn't get my critiques... I wonder if they're sending them out in batches? Were they emailed?

Tss1203
06-29-2011, 10:19 PM
yep, mine came in email. Strange. Maybe check your spam folder? I know mine ended up there last year.

Stephanie_Millner
06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Oh... :(

It's because I apparently never asked for the video critique. It was an oversight on my part. Sadness.

I'm tempted to post my 4 here to see what the comments are. All 4 sealed with 1 GB, but I was hoping for a Loan in there.

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
I forgot to order the critiques, too. I remembered right after I hit the button to submit.

GregYager
06-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Steff and Cassandra,
You know you'll get some very accurate critiques here so why not go ahead and post them.

RobinD
07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Dear Angela:
Felt the same way...For a first entry the judges seemed to really think highly of my images and suggested only slight fixes. We work in a vacuum so these critiques were very valuable. So until next year!!