PDA

View Full Version : "Photographer of the Year" terminology changing ...

JohnHeckler
06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Found this on the new IPC FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?src=fftb#!/TheIPC

Looks like they are changing the terminology of the POTY levels:

4 Loan Prints = "Diamond Medalist"
3 Loan Prints & 1 General = "Platinum Medalist"
2 Loan Prints & 2 General = "Gold Medalist"
1 Loan Print & 3 General = "Silver Medalist"
4 General Prints = "Bronze Medalist"

GregYager
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Doesn't look like a bad change to me. Then again I'm not sure what they were before.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I liked the POTY designation last year, but then when I'd have to explain to people that there were almost 200 POTYs world wide - the prestige of the title was fairly lessened. So, "medalist" might be a better term...

Linda_Gregory
06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm with Christine yet when I just stated I was poty, rareLy was I asked what it was to the point of having to explain that part of it.

Sarah_Johnston
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Say you are 1 of 3 in your area with 4/4. You all sent a press release to the local paper. How do you make it sound like the high honor it truly with-out lessening it's value? Medalist makes better marketing sense. People would get confused having more than 1 POTY in town. That is part of the reasoning behind the change. Just my thought.

Linda_Gregory
06-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I actually prefer it being called medalist. Shades of Olympics.

JohnHeckler
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
It would be interesting to see PPA produce a "mock" press release that photogs could incorporate as an example with the new terminology ... might help clear up confusion and questions around whether "photographer of the year" is to be used at all or in what context if at all ...

For example, are you supposed to say you are a "2011 Bronze Metalist Photographer of the Year" ... or ... you are a "2011 PPA International Photographic Competition Bronze Medalist" ... or ... ???

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
If I remember correctly there usually is a press release accompanying the awards. I don't pay much attention to it because usually 75% of it is about PPA and not about the person winning the award, so I always write my own. I could be remembering something that used to be done and isn't anymore, so maybe I've got it all wrong.

Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Here was the link to the press release that was on the PPA Facebook page:
http://ppat.ag/?oG

JohnHeckler
06-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Here was the link to the press release that was on the PPA Facebook page:
http://ppat.ag/?oG

Yes, thanks Christine, I have seen that example before, but I guess I was referring more specifically for examples on how PPA wants us to refer to what was previously known as the "Photographer of the Year" award with the new terminology. Maybe I am making it harder than it has to be ;), but should we drop the POTY terms completely or use them with the various medalist verbage, or ???

Considering it is not a problem I currently have to worry about as I have not achieved said honor :(, I am really not sure why I care ... crawling back in my hole now :)

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
On the new Degrees and Merits site, it just shows the pin as "gold medalsit" and doesn't refer to it as POTY. I think at the bottom it even says "formerly known as POTY" or something similar, so I guess I'd drop the POTY part...

I'm on my state board and one of our PPA councilors told us about this update last week - he said they were dropping the POTY terminology...

JohnHeckler
06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
There is a post on the FB IPC (http://www.facebook.com/TheIPC), from the admin apparently, that states only the 4 for 4 Diamond Medalist maintains the designation of Diamond Medalist Photographer of the Year or maybe its just Diamond Photographer of the Year ... ah ... communication of change is always more difficult than one would think it would/should be LOL :cool:

Marc_Benjamin
06-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I've gotten photographer of the year 3 years in a row and I feel that the term medalist is a watered down version. Going forward, it's probably a good thing granted POTY was really a high designation in the first place.

Thing is, now it feels less of an achievement (at least marketing wise) for people who won POTY prior who now have to scale down to whatever "medalist". Heck if I got bronze, I wouldn't even say I got bronze since it's the same as saying oh I came in third place... Peoples first choices are never the runners up.

I have never ever had to explain what level photographer of they year I was to any potential client. I simply stated that I was. People who asked the extra question "what level" are industry people and already know what the levels are and what they mean.

TracyeGibson
06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I agree with Marc.