PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Secrets of Success

GregYager
06-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Now that the results are in I think this would be an excellent opportunity for those of you with Loan Images to share a little bit about how you created them and what it took for them to "Go Loan". I've seen a lot of the images floating around on Facebook so I think this could become a very informative thread.

O.K. Who's gonna be first?

JohnHeckler
06-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I use my Loan Image Generator App on my iPhone. It's a little buggy, so it doesn't usually work ;)

BrittAnderson
06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Greg, is there a place where we could see those that one? Not the names, but the actual images?

Sarah_Johnston
06-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Some makers are posting their winners on FB. Loan images will be available in a book from Marathon Press generally by the Holidays but for sure at IUSA. They will also be displayed at IUSA. Prints are hung so you can take your time and wonder through the show, get up close and almost personal with them. The digital entries will be available to view at displays at the entrance to the print show. IUSA is wonderful for several reasons, but THAT is one of my faves!! ALSO for those interested. PEC will once again offer the MEntor Booth. FREE to members, sign up in advance and spend 20 or so minutes one on one with an International Juror. Go over your images either on your laptop or bring a bunch of 8x10's. Think of it as critiques BEFORE the International Photographic Competition (IPC)

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-18-2011, 01:06 AM
EDITED TO ADD: This is my first year with any loans and I know there's scads of people out there that Loan 4/4 every single year - I'm not throwing myself in with that group no-way no-how... ;)

I posed mine on FB. This is my 2nd year. Last year I went 4/4, this year I went 4/4 with 2 loans & 1 Showcase. I don't have a clue what my secret is. I only enter client photos, although I specialize in actor headshots and lots of times I will tack on an extra 30 minutes to the session if the actor will bring a cool "costume" they wore on stage or in a movie. I get lots of cool concepts that way that I wouldn't normally get.

Last year all 4 of my entries were clients, 3 of them were actors and 1 was a 4 generation portrait.

This year all 4 of my entries were clients, 1 was a group of puppies that went loan, 2 were actors (1 went showcase) and 1 was a regular client that went loan.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing that works. All I know is that Monte Zucker is my "hero" and I try to do lighting according to the classic, traditional methods and I also don't do a lot of photoshopping to stuff. No grunge and actions for me. I'm almost 50 and I appreciate the classic stuff.

I know I'm only 2 years in, but I think this is a level of success that's a bit unusual for being a newbie, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. (although I could be TOTALLY wrong ;) )

Keith_A_Howe
06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
EDITED TO ADD: This is my first year with any loans and I know there's scads of people out there that Loan 4/4 every single year - I'm not throwing myself in with that group no-way no-how... ;)

Just to clarify here... "Scads of people" is a bit misleading. It is rare to go 4 for 4 loan. I don't have all time figures but I do know that one year there were as few as 4 if memory serves me and one of my years was a high number of 17 makers (remember this is world wide) that did it. Christine you are among the elite, CONGRATULATIONS! Those that go 4 for 4 with 2 loan this year I am going to guess to be around maybe 30 or so people. Also keep in mind that this number includes those that enter more than one print case like a PO case like you did and then also entered an EI case. I see that Richard Sturdevant is the only one that I saw that went 4 for 4 loan in both cases... Now that is incredible.
Keith

GregYager
06-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Greg, is there a place where we could see those that one? Not the names, but the actual images?

I feel there should be but no, there is not. We can only hope that some will post their images here and by getting input from the maker we can better understand what makes the magic.

JohnHeckler
06-18-2011, 02:20 AM

you know, they just created the IPC FB page ... maybe folks (or even PPA) could start posting their images that they entered there? Just a thought ...

http://www.facebook.com/TheIPC

I suppose the downside would be the potential to cannibalize Loan book sales?

GregYager
06-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I suppose the downside would be the potential to cannibalize Loan book sales?

And it would draw traffic away from here.

Wouldn't it be great to have a featured "Image of the Day" where a new image was posted each day along with comments from the maker. People could chat about the images and learn what gave each image it's unique qualities.

Tss1203
06-18-2011, 04:48 AM
I love that idea Greg.

John_Metcalfe
06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Greg, Greg, Greg...

Post our images? Give up our trade secrets? What do you think this place is?

(that was sarcasm for those who don't know me very well)

Joe_Galioto
06-18-2011, 02:48 PM
anthony weiner says..............................
don't post photos of yourself

Tss1203
06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I have a comment for that Joe, but it would be highly inappropriate ;0)

I love seeing everyone's images and hearing why they chose what they did. Who's gonna start?

GregYager
06-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Who's gonna start?

How about you Amy? Didn't you have one that went loan?

Tss1203
06-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I did. I'm just not so sure I can offer much insight on why it went loan. Considering it was the image I almost didn't send in ;) But yes, I can share it.

Tss1203
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
alright, so I'm going to try and get this started...
Greg, you might remember this one from hanging out with us at Imaging ;)
Here is my Loan image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/peoplegrinder/210187_10150231226390269_47255425268_9295060_27201 90_ocopy2.jpg

as I said, I'm not sure I can offer much insight as to why it went loan. But here is the story of the image:

This is my cousin's little girl, Giada, at 3 months. Giada has the most amazing eyelashes I have ever seen, truly. This was one of the last images from the session, and I wanted all focus to be on her amazing lashes. On a whim while preparing for my mentor session at Imaging I grabbed this image and printed it off my computer. I met with Keith and he gave me some great pointers, one being which way to display the image. His suggestion was to have her looking down.

Honestly, as I was preparing my case I spent the least amount of time on this image. I printed it on watercolor paper, and when the print came back I almost didn't send it to Districts. I wasn't sure if her face was too large, if I added too much grain, and there was a sliver of mount board showing on one edge. I asked everyone here if they would send in a print they weren't sure of, and the resounding answer was "what do you have to lose". So thanks for that :)

Title: I titled this while I was filling out registration for districts. I just felt with her looking down thru the image that "Angel Eyes" was a good description. I'm going to take a bet that the title probably helped.

That's the story. It's a pretty simple image. Because I doubted it so much it really makes me feel like I have no flippin' clue about how print comp works, lol!

Joe_Campanellie
06-19-2011, 04:24 PM
I would say it went loan because of impact. The impact is created by the unusual angle and composition. Not a traditional children's portrait by any means so it stands out in the crowd.

I'm not an international judge so others would know better than me. But, from what I understand about the loan selection process, impact is key because the images are not up there for very long.

ChristyLynn
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree with what Joe says about your image Amy, the minute I saw it, it took my breath away! Truly beautiful.

Joe_Campanellie
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
And that's the secret sometimes too...simplicity! Like Christy said..."it took her breath away". When you can affect people on an emotional level with your images that too creates impact.

GregYager
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Impact. What a difficult element to achieve. It can come from a complicated composition(Richard Sturdevant) and it can come from a simple set of eyelashes that just jump out at you. I sometimes think impact is the element we find rather than create. It can be that perfect moment that you didn't realize was a perfect moment until you go back and begin editing. To me impact is not only the main element of a Loan Print, it's also a money maker when dealing with our clients. It's what makes them buy a nice wall portrait and schedule their next session at the same time. This is why I've added a "Competition Series" to my product line. Yet another reason to value the competition process. The value of Amy's print increased dramatically when she applied the extra touches to make it competition worthy. This leads to a better bottom line which is why I look for competition quality images every time I shoot. I don't always find one but that doesn't stop me from looking.

Ok... Who's next?

Tss1203
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes! I get what you are saying about impact, and agree that sometimes it is found not created. In fact, I almost feel guilty b/c the eyelashes are what make this print, and I can take no credit for the lashes ;) I think Mom and Dad get the credit there!

I'm not used to simple, I feel like it should be more complicated than this. But it's a very good lesson for me.

Who's next? I'm really looking forward to seeing some beautiful images!

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Congrats Amy
Wow I had kinda forgot we had talked in the mentor booth. I just wanted to point out that simplicity is very good and can be dynamic when executed well. Your title really was perfect for this image. You don't really get the impact of this image in the small size here. In the print, the size really added drama to the image and because of the size and your title the viewer is struck with how the design of the image (from the eyebrow in upper L down to cheek up to bridge of the nose, back down to the other cheek up to the brow in upper R and then follow the eyebrows back to upper L framing those wonderfull eyelashes) creates angel wings. I just wanted to point this out as it is very subtle here. Good Job!
Keith

GregYager
06-21-2011, 06:21 AM
So who's gonna be next to share some of your successful images? This is one of those occasions that it's ok to brag because those of us still looking for our first Loan Print can learn from it. You most likely spent countless hours perfecting it in every detail so let's see 'em so we can admire your hard work.

Joe_Campanellie
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
No secret...just doin what I love to do. What I do certainly isn't for everyone but it sure is fun for me.

Never did get the hang of posting images here...but they're on my FB page if you want to take a look.

GregYager
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Just post them the easy way as an attachment Joe. If you want me to I can take them from your Facebook page and post them here for you. Just let me know.

Keith_A_Howe
06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
This one is Holly's loan image.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Xanadu4100-3sealed.jpg

I am sure looking at it on here people will ask "how did that go loan?" This small file does not do it justice. Couple things it has going for it that you can't tell here - tack sharp on the buildings and bridge, lots of depth in the layers of buildings and a somewhat unusual color scheme for a skyline. The title was Xanadu and it was printed on watercolor paper to perpetuate the light airy almost mystical feel. When she tripped the shutter I told her it was wrong time of day. She told me unh-uh - gonna print it as a slim line on wc paper, print it pretty light and call it Xanadu. I should just listen to her in the first place.

Here's one of my EI loan images
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Memories_Restored3032-4.jpg

Guessing it was because of degree of difficulty and it was done well. Of my 4 EI images this year, this was actually the easiest.

Here is my other loan image
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Escape_From_Fortress_Island3031-2.jpg
Third times a charm on this one. Did not merit last year at IPC but in the critique there were a couple suggestions that I implemented and sent it to SEPPA last spring. It got a 79 there. So I made more changes and sent it on to IPC this year. I am told it almost got DQ'd because one judge remembered it from last year and thought it HAD gone loan. If the stories I have heard are right, it was the same judge that did the critique on it last year and suggested I make a few small changes and send it in again.

GregYager
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
All excellent examples Keith. I never would have thought about entering a restoration but what a great idea and a very good result you came up with. Nicely done.

Tss1203
06-22-2011, 02:42 AM
thank you for the insight, Keith! Very helpful.

yeah, you should know by now to listen to your wife ;) It's a lovely image. I'm interested to see this and the tight rope girl up close at Imaging.

What did you title the girl?

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Here are my two loan images.

But I Don't Want to Take a Nap:

Lonesome Soul:

GregYager
06-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Very nice work Christine. I really like the dogs. Is that one a composite?

Keith_A_Howe
06-22-2011, 03:56 AM
What did you title the girl?

The first two times I titled it The Aerialist but the majority of the work in the image was conttructing the floating island. So the third time around I decided that I needed a title to draw attention more to the island, That's why I added the fortress in the third version, so she had something to be escaping from, and titled it "Escape From Fortress Island"

Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Very nice work Christine. I really like the dogs. Is that one a composite?

Thanks Greg. No, not a composite, that's exactly how thy were in real life. I had wanted them to sit in a row and they wouldn't (typical puppies) so I waited until they fell asleep in a pile and moved them into a row. I got behind the camera and just as I started to shoot, the one on the end woke up and looked straight at the camera. I got two shots before he walked away. This shot was a total fluke.

suebird
06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Here are my two loan images.

But I Don't Want to Take a Nap:

Lonesome Soul:

In love with the dog image Christine!! Everyone's images here are incredible, I would love to watch Keith fix an image like that.

Here is mine below, had lots of feedback and great advice from Keith, Steve Bedell and Stef Milner, (thank you) I have no doubt they were the catalysts to help me achieve loan.

Three other entries did not even merit and I did not send them for critiques prior to entering, I know they were swamped and I did not want to bug them anymore :D Next year i hope to start competition prep earlier , although now i think i need to buy another case from the sounds of it? :p

JohnHeckler
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, so here is my lone loan image :) This is a shot of Dayton Ohio at dusk from a helicopter. For the past two years Dayton has hosted an event called "Light Up Dayton" in which all the downtown businesses are supposed to leave their lights on so that photographers from all around photograph the city. I decided to do it from the air and originally planned on shooting from an airplane. The airplane fell through and a fellow photog and I managed to charter a helicopter last minute.

I had to shoot it wide open and at high iso's, but many of the images turned out pretty good and held up detail fairly well.

Holly gave me the title (thanks Holly!) of "Go With the Flow" ... scored an 81 at NE Districts ...

http://www.jthphotography.com/host-images/Go_With_The_Flow-72dpi.jpg

GregYager
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
What an incredible photo op John! The lines of the highways leading in along with the water curving around really helped to make this image. Very well done.

GregYager
06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Loving the "Pet/Owner Mugshots" Sue. Did you submit this as a print or digital?

Tss1203
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I love the new title Keith. It's a great description. Very cool image, btw.

suebird
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Loving the "Pet/Owner Mugshots" Sue. Did you submit this as a print or digital?

I did do a print, it was my first competition and I wanted that experience. Called it Animal Instincts. It is an ongoing portrait series. Your twins are fantastic Greg. Great idea and nice work on the Post.

Tss1203
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Christine, those puppies are adorable! Y'all make me want to work with animals more....almost ;0)

Sue-I love what you did with here. Very unique-from the concept to the composite of several images. Great Job!

John- What an inspiring thing for Dayton to do. This in an awesome image, and the title gives it even more impact. I really love this!