PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Show in New Orleans

Angela_Peacock
06-17-2011, 04:00 AM
This will be the first time I am attending a seminar of this type. I am joining the PPA membership so I can get the discount on the show. I do not have anybody going with me so I was wondering, can someone tell me how this actually works? What will we be doing and are they offering classes for us? Would love to hear from someone that has gone to one before. Thanks for your help.
Angela

GregYager
06-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Let's start with welcome to the forums Angela. :)

There will be classes galore to choose from. There will be an enormous trade show with every vendor you can imagine from labs to prop suppliers and everything in between. There's usually a party of some sort most every night that's sure to make you oversleep for the morning classes. My favorite part is the Print Exhibition. It's a must see.

The key to getting the most out of imaging is wear comfortable shoes and pace yourself. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed with information because trust me, it's easy to do. Considering the number of people that will be there you're sure to find plenty of new friends to hang out with while you're there.

Keith_A_Howe
06-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Angela, Last year attendence was over 10,000. So it's huge. Even if you just go to the trade show and then the print show it will be more information then you can possibly absorb. There are many many programs to attend plus vendors have mini programs right in their trade show booth. People are friendly and you will strike up conversations just around the convention that will be just as beneficial as the programs themselves. I think there is usually a forum get together sometime early in the conference so it will be a chance for you to meet some people right at the beginning.

Keith

Angela_Lawson
06-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Welcome Angela. From a fellow Angela. lol

This is the place to be...for information on pretty much everything. And IUSA is a really great place to go for information, as well as a lot of fun. I'm planning to be there again this year.

Angela_Peacock
06-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Thank you all so much! I am in the middle of trying to make the big jump from my current job to being a full time photographer.I am really looking forward to meeting so many new people.
Thanks Greg, for the shoe advise. I was wondering if this was somewhat of a casual event.
Please continue to send me tips.

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-19-2011, 02:03 AM
IUSA officially goes from Sunday thru Tuesday. Try to fly in on Friday or early Saturday. Try to stay in the headquarters hotel or close by.
There is a party every night (either thrown by PPA or vendors) and classes start at 7am - so keep that in mind. The big party is Tuesday night so don't make your flight home on Wednesday an early one. :)

Joe_Campanellie
06-19-2011, 02:48 AM
We made our reservations today at the host hotel. Will be a lot of fun. Always is!

Angela_Peacock
06-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks again. I am blessed to be only 2.5 hours away so I wlll be driving in Friday night. I had planned on leaving Tues evening but now I wonder - What is the "big party" about that evening?
How much should I bring, as far as camera gear and photos?
Also, when can we expect the "schedule of events" be out?
Sorry if am throwing so many questions out; I am just about to bust with excitement about this seminar :o)

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Last year the Tuesday night party was a blast - dinner and a DJ and LOTs of dancing. And is kind of a setup for the next IUSA (i.e. last year's party was a New Orleans theme).
The parties are all included - no extra charge.

There is a print critique you can sign up for - it is SO worth it - watch for details on that on this forum, so perhaps start gathering 8 or 10 images you want critiqued.

You don't NEED gear for this - maybe bring a P&S for 'fun' pics.

The Schedule is out pretty far ahead of time, go to http://imagingusa.org/ and watch for it to be posted.

Angela_Peacock
06-21-2011, 03:42 AM
Thanks so much Casandra! I really appreciate your time!

Howard_Barlow
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
There will be an enormous trade show with every vendor you can imagine from labs to prop suppliers and everything in between.

In short, you will find every photographic item you never knew you couldn't live without.

Roger_Williams
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Thank you all so much! I am in the middle of trying to make the big jump from my current job to being a full time photographer.I am really looking forward to meeting so many new people.
Thanks Greg, for the shoe advise. I was wondering if this was somewhat of a casual event.
Please continue to send me tips.

"I was wondering if this was somewhat of a casual event." Yes, it is. Some people will be in casual business attire but most will be in jeans and dress in layers because some of the sessions rooms are warm and some are cool so you'll want to be able to add or remove layers as needed. One of the most important things to take is a credit card with a zero balance because it won't come back that way. Lots of good deals, new products, props, boxes, frames, etc. My card looked like it went through a war zone after Imaging ;). Also, since you are going alone, make a real effort to reach out and talk to fellow photographers, I've met of so the nicest people at Imagaing and it will make your trip a lot more fun.:)

Rick_Massarini
07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
You won't have to worry about wearing too many layers - since it's always hot in New Orleans - even in January

Shannon_Lenoir
07-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Angela - I am a newbie too and am looking at attending. It sounds like great info and the timing will be great after the holiday season. I am looking forward to the schedule to being posted. I notice a few hotels mentioned. Looks like the "headquarters" hotel is the furthest from the convention center.

For you veterans, is there any reason to be at that hotel rather than one closer to the convention center?

Rick_Massarini
07-05-2011, 01:40 AM
...Looks like the "headquarters" hotel is the furthest from the convention center.... is there any reason to be at that hotel rather than one closer to the convention center?

The Headquarters hotel is where many of the events are held - Committee and Council meetings, Awards Ceremony, Parties, the ASP Banquet, and possibly some of the speaking programs - check the schedule of events if it has been published for the location of convention events. The Hilton is the largest hotel and has the most space available - it is almost a convention center unto itself.

George_Hawkins
09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Rick, I am seriously trying to attend; I loved my last visit to New Orleans. I will redeem points I have for three nights at a Hilton Family Hotel - undecided but I liked one that includes managers reception each evening and cooked to order breakfast, just a short walk. I'd love to arrive early or stay late.

Maybe you and your co-members can post interesting activities to do, in addition to Cafe du Monde and strolling Bourbon Street & French Quarter! Last time, I brought home some great images I captured of building graffiti!
Thanks in advance for any ideas.....