PDA

View Full Version : Any spys at IPC?

JohnHeckler
06-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Anyone got any spys at IPC? It would be interesting to know how many cases were entered. I'm guessing they were up a bit and that means judging might run longer ...

Maybe Rick will chime in :)

KariJBlunck
06-13-2011, 04:26 AM
The anticipation is painful!!! Has it always been four days of judging? I'd hate to have my stuff come through in the last hour of the 4th day! augh!

Keith_A_Howe
06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
The anticipation is painful!!! Has it always been four days of judging? I'd hate to have my stuff come through in the last hour of the 4th day! augh!

Yes in the past if has been 4 or more days of judging. There is usually 4 rooms judging, for example, 1 room might be judging EI, 1 Photographic Open (PO) for merit, 1 room for PO for Loan Collection and 1 room for albums. As the smaller catagories are finished (like EI) that room might then be judging say commercial or become another PO for merit or Loan etc. by the last day it becomes 2 rooms of loan collection. If you ordered a critique and you did not have seals, then they are the first ones judged because we try to critique complete cases when possible. So unsealed prints that are getting critique go before non critique unsealed because we need lots of time to get all the critiques done. I should note that Critiques are going on usually by mid afternoon of the first day or definately by the 2nd day. Judges are rotated between the different panels and the critique rooms so there is always a new and fresh mix to the panels. This keeps everyone fresh and helps avoid the slumps that you may be refuring to. At IPC there are so many judges that we rotate mid morning, noon, mid afternoon, so a judge will be in 4 different room assignments per day and evenings even doing critiques. It is a busy exciting time.
Good Luck to all.
Keith

JohnHeckler
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
any stats on the total number of entries this year? up or down %?

... getting closer to knowing results ... :D

Keith_A_Howe
06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I heard they were up about 10% but that is an unconfirmed figure.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
06-16-2011, 03:09 AM
It's over ! We've finished packing up the prints, and yes the totals were up by about 10% this year. I don't remember the exact numbers, but we did have a lot of digital entries.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
06-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Any problems with the digital thing? I'm a little nervous about doing digital entries...

Rick_Massarini
06-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Everything ran very smoothly. The digital ran without a hitch. There are always a few minor sorting issues, but but that is to be expected.

Angela_Lawson
06-16-2011, 03:37 AM
So, if we entered digital, but asked for a critique, how will we receive it? Since I'm not very confident of meriting this year. lol

Keith_A_Howe
06-16-2011, 03:45 AM
So, if we entered digital, but asked for a critique, how will we receive it? Since I'm not very confident of meriting this year. lol

You will recieve an email with a link to your critique.

Keith

JohnHeckler
06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Ok, so fess up ... how many folks are hitting refresh on this page lol ;)

http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php

ChontelleBrown
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Ok, so fess up ... how many folks are hitting refresh on this page lol ;)

http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php

busted! how did you know? :D

I hate starting to look this early....cause once I start, I become obsessed with the refresh button.

Tss1203
06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
we need to find a way to distract each other :)

JohnHeckler
06-16-2011, 02:05 PM
It comforts me to know I am not alone ;)

GregYager
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I was gonna reply to this earlier but I was busy with the refresh button myself.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I know how you all did, but I will never tell...
Jeff

Angela_Lawson
06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
That's just mean, Jeff! ;) Especially since this is my first year entering. I think the refresh button will be my new BF. lol

jradlick
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
How long does it take for results to be released?

Rick_Massarini
06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I knew how everybody did - but I'm just too old to remember the results...

As soon as they get everything checked and double checked they'll post them - no eta yet since we just finished packing everything up yesterday evening and all the PEC folks and the IT support personnell are in their recap meeting. They know that everyone is on pins and needles waiting for the results, so they'll get them out there as soon as they know that everything is rechecked in the computer - Just hang in there - they're coming... If I hear anything concrete, I'll let you know.

Tss1203
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Jeff, you are EVIL! But we still love you....

I know it's waaaaaay too early to expect results, but that still won't stop us from hitting refresh ;)

Joe_Campanellie
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Look at it this way...it's much better now with the new system. Not like the old days when you had to wait forever for a postcard to come by way of "snail mail" with your results. Now that was painful...!

I just try not to think about it. And when the results do get posted it usually takes me days to get the nerve to look at them. It's been a good year for me at the state and district level so anything that happens at national is just icing on the cake.

JohnHeckler
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
just an FYI to ya all ... just hit refresh ... and ... still nothin' lol

Tss1203
06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
John, that was just mean!

TracyeGibson
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Just heard from a friend that one of my prints went loan! Yay! Don't know about the rest. 2 others were already sealed and my 4th print was an iffy anyway.

Angela_Lawson
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Yay Tracye!! Congrats!

Sarah_Johnston
06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone that has had "spys" @ IPC you must remember what you are told is UNOFFICIAL!!! Remember- there is a human factor to all of this. That is why they check and recheck things before PPA puts out an official post. We did have a great judging this year. Number were up around 10%. Lots of digital entries AND lots of physical prints!!. Personally I did prints. I love the print show at IUSA so I always hope to contribute to that. We look at monitors all day. I want to see prints at the show- up close and personal!!!
The wrap-up meeting went great and they are working on getting the results logged in, merit records updates and the "list" posted. BREATHE!!!! They are working on it!

Mark_McCall
06-16-2011, 10:25 PM
During the Judges School we got to judge digital entries using an iPod for control. The monitors were all calibrated to a single standard, (thank you Ron Nichols). Way better that what we had at SWPPA.

It was AWESOME. It's going to really speed things up.

Sarah_Johnston
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Mark- They have made GREAT improvements since we were at SWPPA. This week was such a wonderful experience. Things ran the way they were intended. I just love it when a plan comes together!! LOL
Great to see you there too! So happy everything worked out well for you!

TracyeGibson
06-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Hee-hee! I know Sarah, but I really had high hopes for the 'unofficial' loan image. It is one of my favs. Honestly, I can't even remember what one of my sealed images was. We have regionals sooooooo long before Natls (Sept of this year for natl next year) that the wait is HORRIBLE for anyone in SW region.

Thanks Angela! (And I can't believe this is your first year! You've been on here ages! I have my fingers crossed for you! )

Keith_A_Howe
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
During the Judges School we got to judge digital entries using an iPod for control. The monitors were all calibrated to a single standard, (thank you Ron Nichols). Way better that what we had at SWPPA.

It was AWESOME. It's going to really speed things up.

Mark it's the same system that we judged with at SWPPA and I am pretty sure it's the same kind of monitors. What has changed is the program has been used at 4 more districts since then and more of the bugs have been worked out.

Just to clarify - there are two things going on - digital entries - where you enter a file and it is judges on a moniter. And digital judging where each judge uses an IPod to score instead of the old style judging machines.

Keith

Sarah_Johnston
06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Hee-hee! I know Sarah, but I really had high hopes for the 'unofficial' loan image.

I get it. I really do. I was at SWPPA last fall. I had high hopes for one too. I hope your results are better than mine!! (unofficially!)

TracyeGibson
06-16-2011, 11:56 PM
My 'unofficial' loan was called "...and when she was bad she was horrid". It was called back several times at SW to try to talk it up to 100 but one judge just wouldn't budge (I left a tiny edge of mount board showing). I was happy with my 99 though. ;)

Oooohhh, so you 'unofficially' know you didn't do well? That's a bummer. :(

Mark_Levesque
06-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Not even worried about it this year (and trying not to think about it as well.) I only need 2 merits for Masters, and I've got a seal. Worst possible case is I need 1 next year. This isn't a particularly strong case, so I'm doubting that POTY is a real possibility. So there's not a lot of "news" to be had this time.

KellyLynne2010
06-17-2011, 01:55 AM
uggggggggg, dying here, need results !! haha

Joe_Campanellie
06-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Mark...hope you get your merits for your maters.

Sarah_Johnston
06-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Oh Man Mark!!! My fingers are crossed for you! I have a friend that got their Masters, one her Master Artist, 2 got Imaging Excellence, and 2 got their 100th print merit! So maybe that is a good omen for people I know! LOL

Sarah_Johnston
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/results.php
Here they are!!!

Angela_Lawson
06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Mark - I see that you got your two Merits!!! Congratulations on your Masters!!!

Sarah_Johnston
06-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Congratulations Mark!!!! I am so happy for you!! I still remember when I got my last 2. What a great feeling!

Mark_McCall
06-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Mark it's the same system that we judged with at SWPPA and I am pretty sure it's the same kind of monitors.

The Judges at SWPPA could zoom in or out on an image, whereas we couldn't do that at Judges School. Did I miss something?

Joe_Campanellie
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Way to go Mark...!

GregYager
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Way to knock it out Mark!! Congrats on the new letters.

TracyeGibson
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Yay Mark! I'll be getting my Masters in N.O. too! My fav print did go loan but I was only merited on 2 more so no POTY. Fine with that! ;)

Joe_Campanellie
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
But you got your masters so that's what was important!

Michael
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
The Judges at SWPPA could zoom in or out on an image, whereas we couldn't do that at Judges School. Did I miss something?

Mark, the "zoom" feature was removed after SWPPA. PEC listened to the membership from that event and suspended the zoom for the time being. Other than that, all features of the judging remained the same during the entire judging season. The new judging season begins again this fall at SWPPA for 2012.

TracyeGibson
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Michael, since there will be no zoom what size are the monitors and what IS the closest they can look at the image? 100%? I enter 'prints' still because I am paranoid about my calibration being different BUT if there is no zoom and a monitor isn't at least 16x20/20x16, won't the electronic entry have an advantage (since there won't be any probs with dings & scratches, improper mounts, wrong paper choices, cost of printing,etc)? Seams that now there should be new categories, one for photographers who enter prints and one for photographers who enter electronic images, since it really IS 2 different sets of skills.....<sigh>