PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky is on a mission

GregYager
06-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Our state association formerly known as the KPPA has dropped it's borders and changed it's name in order to become a regional influence. We are now branding ourselves as the PhotoProNetwork and looking to dramatically increase our coverage area to include surrounding states.

If all goes well this could become the model for other states to follow. Only time will tell.

palumbo1971
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes I am hoping it goes well for sure! Hope to get to see you at the summer seminar Greg. I will be working and taking the CPP test. My images were approved last month. See you then (maybe). J.

GregYager
06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm already registered so I'll definitely see you there. Good luck on the test!

Linda_Gregory
06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Just a few questions - your new moniker has no PPA in it, are you still affiliated with PPA? - How do the surrounding state's affiliates feel about this? I know some states do it better and membership can jump lines but there's usually some animosity then, even if the 'other' state is not doing so well and isn't looking to improve. - are there not set boundaries for affiliates associated with PPA?

GregYager
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
All very good questions Linda and at the moment I have none of the answers. I'm trying to find this out even as we speak. I spoke with our president(David Ziser) about the possibilities of this change back in January but I had no clue it would be this drastic.

Marc_Benjamin
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't recall any stipulation on the articles of affiliation that outlines nor requires any boundaries for it's affiliates. Also, during the last few years it's getting clearer and clearer (and the affiliates are reminded about this constantly) that affiliation is definitely not hierarchical as some think or wants it to be. So, poaching each other states members is not really a PPA issue but rather an inter-state issue if it's even an issue at all.

Interstate dis-respect perhaps? Then again, in the current climate very few would choose to not recruit from each others areas now and it's almost like it's every association for themselves in order to survive/thrive. That or a few small ones within a reasonable radius merge to make a bigger one is probably the key. Association survival is really a numbers thing.

Anyways, if it becomes an issue there's not much that the other states can do. The only situation that I could think of that might be a real problem is if the new Kentucky at some point would want to actively participate in sanctioned print competition. If there is a real grudge, the states could decide that the new Kentucky isn't really a state group and barr it from hosting the district comp.

Good luck to the new KY!

GregYager
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I have more detailed information about the move that I can post as soon as I get home. Our main growth will most likely be north into the Greater Cincinatti area and Indiana that currently has limited representation and participation.

Stan_Lawrence
06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I have more detailed information about the move that I can post as soon as I get home. Our main growth will most likely be north into the Greater Cincinatti area and Indiana that currently has limited representation and participation.

You won't be recruiting in California? ;)

Rick_Massarini
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
So how do the Indiana and Ohio state associations feel about this change in scope ???

GregYager
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
You won't be recruiting in California? ;)

Give me time......:D

GregYager
06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I received a few days ago.....

First off, we are re-branding KPPA with an exciting new presence in the photography community. KPPA from this point forward will be rebranded and promoted as the PhotoPro Network. There are no major photographic associations within a 300 mile radius of the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. That means we have a golden opportunity to fill that vacuum and the new PhotoPro Network branding will help us do just that.

This new branding offers tremendous opportunities in six main areas:

1 - Enhanced membership growth because of our new "no borders" brand name allowing us to build an even stronger and more vibrant regional association.
2 - Triple the attendance figures at all of our yearly conferences (based on 2010 numbers). That means more professional networking with your peers. I'm planning on 750-1000 in attendance for our 2012 regional PhotoPro Expo premiere event on February 2-6, 2012.
3 - A much larger and more exciting trade show because of our increased membership numbers in attendance.
4 - An enhanced ability to attract top notch speakers for our planned conventions, web-casts and any additional programming.
5 - Content building for our PhotoPro Network website.
6 - Organizing a regional print competition with thousands of $$$ in prizes.

palumbo1971
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
The rebranding is for advertising, competition and attendance purposes. We are still affiliated with PPA, but print competition as it has always been will not be for PPA merits or seals. We already have a large following of out of state photographers and with the rebranding it will help to advertise to a wider base-some don't think that the state associations offer much, and KY is trying to offer more web content and more in the way of member benefits. We had a very large portion of attendees at our State convention this year that were not from our regular membership. It just seems that many of the state organizations are faltering and KY is trying something new to help expand and keep going forward. By no means are we wanting to step on toes, but instead want to try and stay afloat. Hope this helps. Greg may have more info from Dave.

GregYager
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I do have more but I will hold off on the specifics til I talk to Dave again.

What I can say for now is our website will go from being static to being very active with up to date content including training videos created in studios within our membership area featuring our top member photographers. Conventions will still be informative but will be even more entertaining. Our trade show will take on the feel of Imaging because we'll be blending live demonstrations and learning opportunities within the show. Print competitions will also benefit in the form of a more "Show Style" atmosphere. Dave's outlook falls very much in line with my thoughts that if you make the learning experience fun and exciting people will look forward to every aspect of the event and they'll want to share that experience with their friends.

dpalme
06-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Before you know it Greg will be recruiting on mars and proctoring exams on Saturn

Really?

dpalme
06-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Illinois affiliates barely have a presence and I have never been able to get a pulse out if the st Louis ppa for the past six months

I think a lot of it is people get tired of spending time and nobody seems to participate or help

Then again I could be completely wrong

GregYager
06-12-2011, 06:48 AM
I spoke with several people at the Illinois Fall Conference and they basically said the same thing. They said numbers were really down and people just seemed to be losing interest. Everyone there was really nice but there just wasn't many of them.

People on Saturn will have to come to me for testing...mars has potential though.

dpalme
06-12-2011, 09:30 AM
It seems as though its expanded to St. Louis too. I have not had much contact with the Missouri State Affiliate so I'm not sure what is happening with them yet, but they are next on my list.

Ed_Conner
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Good ole KPPA - :confused:

Ed Conner
Winfield, WV

GregYager
06-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Good ole KPPA - :confused:

Ed Conner
Winfield, WV

I'm thinking we should have named it "The Association Formerly Known as KPPA"