PDA

View Full Version : I failed the image review...but

moehler
05-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I received my notification letter in the mail on Friday. It read,

"Dear Loser....."

Just kidding, it was very professional, but it might as well had read that. I was pretty disappointed, but there was a glimmer of hope. I could request an image review via phone. I completed the form and expected some mealy-mouth review ... if it happened at all.

One Monday I got an email setting up my review up. Man, I'm kinda glad I failed. I had my review yesterday; I got some great feedback on the my submission and am excited about the next one (even with the compulsory images). He spent an hour discussing my submission and suggestions on what I did wrong and what I had going for the submission. Obviously, he didn't say, "get rid of this one or that one." That wouldn't do me any good and I think would cheapen the process. Comments were made on specific image, only as examples for the broader group of images.

So, I'm heading in to take my written exam next month at MAIPP and get ready for the next submission.

Mark (the Loser)

Linda_Gregory
05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I preached to my children that the grade on a test was not the end result but to reflect what you've learned and dang it, shows you want you need to learn. Some teachers didn't even agree with me. (results oriented mandates)

I am glad, Mark, that the CPP process agrees with me and glad you learned so much from it!

GregYager
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
The cool part is that now you adjust how you shoot in order to create images that will pass and in turn it makes you shoot everything better which means your work will now be worth more and that means a fatter wallet.

D._Craig_Flory
05-26-2011, 03:57 PM
In the decades I served as C.P.P. Liaison I saw many photographers pass the exam only to need multiple tries to pass the image submission. So learn from it and try again.

Angela_Lawson
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Mark,

And don't feel bad, because you are in good company. I didn't pass the image submission the first time around back in 2008. And I have to tell you that it was the best thing that could have happened to me too. I learned so much about what I needed to improve on. And my work has just gotten better and better. I still have lots to learn, but I am more confident about what I do, and so very grateful to PPA and to the members of this forum. So, from here, you just move forward...the best is yet to come!