PDA

View Full Version : Judges Workshop in June

Kimberlysmith7
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I am thinking about attending the Judges workshop next month. Anyone going or have gone before??

Allison_English_Watkins
05-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Hey Kimberly, I am planning on going. I hear it is invaluable!

Jeff_Dachowski
05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Kimberly,
I have been to the judges workshop. It was a great experience for me, and many of my friends have taken the class and loved it. The instructors are great, kind folks who also have a ton of experience in print competition. This class will help you understand how to score a print, and a bunch of the ins and out of print judging. It is not directly going to teach you what a merit print is though. It is not a photography class. I encourage anyone who likes print competition to take this class.
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
There's one before Imaging this year, yes?

Rick_Massarini
05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Jeff is correct. The Judges workshop is designed to train prospective judges how to be a juror and how the judging process works. It is a prerequisite to becoming an approved juror. It is not a "photographic seminar". It will not show you how to make a merit print, but it will teach you how to place an appropriate score on a print and might open your eyes to seeing as a juror does.

Sarah_Johnston
05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Steff, There is one held at the IPC in June at Gwinett Tech just outside Atlanta. Are you in the states then? It would be great to have you there!!

Stephanie_Millner
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I won't be in the US in June, but I will be there for Imaging (most likely). I was considering doing that one, but I don't know if they're having it this year.

Sarah_Johnston
05-12-2011, 01:51 AM
If they don't have it at Imaging then see if you can plan a trip over next June!

Mark_McCall
05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been wanting to take the judges workshop for several years.

With our state associations annual seminar in June, recovering from a record senior and easter season, travel, Texas School duties, I just don't know if I can squeeze it in.

Am I correct in that the workshop is also put on 3 days before IUSA in New Orleans?

Also, as I'm understanding it, this is the protocol for becoming an Affiliate Judge:
Must be a Master
Must have attended the judges workshop
Must have 5 favorable critiques from other judges/print chairs from state level competitions.

Do I have it right?

Sarah_Johnston
05-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Also, as I'm understanding it, this is the protocol for becoming an Affiliate Judge:
Must be a Master
Must have attended the judges workshop
Must have 5 favorable critiques from other judges/print chairs from state level competitions.

Yes Mark these are requirements to become an Affiliate Juror.
The Judges WOrkshop has been held as a pre-con class the last couple of years by I will have to check to see if it is planned for the next IUSA or not. I will let everyone know as soon as I get an answer.

Mark_McCall
05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
It wouldn't be as much of a financial burden to go to New Orleans than Atlanta.
Just let me know when you can.

Thank you

Rick_Massarini
05-19-2011, 10:25 PM
The judging class is the same at Imaging or at the IPC, but if you take it at Imaging, you miss out on the opportunity to sit in on the actual judging that takes place at the IPC - and that is a valuable experience - if you haven't attended the International judging, you're missing out on a great experience - especially for a prospective juror.

Sarah_Johnston
05-21-2011, 01:27 AM
For now the workshop will only be offered in Atlanta at IPC in June. So come on down Mark!! It really is a great experience!

Rick_Massarini
05-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Yeah Mark, come down in June - it'll be a lot of fun -

And maybe we can get Sarah on the back of Jon's bike this year !

Sarah_Johnston
05-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey I love me some bike! Seems I don't usually get time to do the fun things when I am there. A small price to pay for being on the committee.

Mark_McCall
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
It seems my mind is made up.

With all the trips I have scheduled for this summer/fall, I'll have to do some quick schedule adjustments.
Any way of knowing who the other attendees will be?
Richard Sturdevant and I talked about attending together last summer, but we never set anything in stone.

Sarah_Johnston
05-24-2011, 12:09 AM
I don't think they will release the class list, but I could be wrong. Just Call Richard and make the arrangements!! It is a lot of fun being able to actually watch the national judging. Just DO IT!!!

Mark_McCall
05-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Rick and Sarah,
I have a question.
The deadline to book rooms is tomorrow, (Friday) so time is of the essence. Please write back at your earliest convenience.
I am really leaning toward going.

Here's my delema:

I have a wedding on Saturday, June 11th, evening. I don't feel right about farming it out to someone so I HAVE to be there.
But American has a flight at 9am the next morning that would put me into Atlanta at about 3pm. It's the earliest I could get there.

Do you think I'd get full credit for the class if I were to be a couple of hours late?
Please advise as soon as possible.

Keith_A_Howe
05-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Mark,
I know you didn't ask me but in case Sarah or Rick do not get back to you in time, you really need to call Dennis Craft to get a definitive answer. I am sure Sarah would have to check with him before she told you for sure and Rick, not being on PEC would not be able to answer with any authority. He could just tell you what he thinks would happen but for an official answer you need to talk to Dennis.

Keith

Mark_McCall
05-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Keith,
Your a gem. Thank you for that info.
I'll see if I can contact him through the forum on Facebook.

Thanks for writing back so fast.

Rick_Massarini
05-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Yeah Mark, you're gonna have to talk with Dennis about that - or if you can't get Dennis and need an answer you can try calling Dave Huntsman - I think he's teaching it along with Dennis this year, so he'll know the schedule of when they plan to cover what. I have nothing to do with the class except setting up the equipment, getting them the prints they need and helping out where they need help - I'm just the PEC's grunt !!! That's up to the PEC Chairman and whomever is helping him teach the class.

CALL DENNIS !!! That's why he gets the big bucks - I heard that PEC paid him $0.00 last year - and they're gonna double his salary this year !!! And they're planning to double that again next year !!! (...kinda like Scoutmasters pay rate) ... Volunteers, gotta' love 'em !!!

Kimberlysmith7
05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
hahaha... soooo I just realized people responded! I didn't know how this thing worked :) I decided to go. Already have my flight and hotel :) I'm excited! I wish I know who all was going to be taking the class...

Thanks for all your responses :)

Mark_McCall
05-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Rick,
Thanks for the heads up on Delta. I didn't even know we had a Delta gate in Lubbock.

Booked my flight, hotel and workshop all this afternoon.
Delta has a flight that'll get me into town two hours before the workshop starts.

Did you say we'll get to watch a portion of the print judging?

Rick_Massarini
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Rick,

Did you say we'll get to watch a portion of the print judging?

Yes. Usually at some point in the class the instructors send the students out to visit the judging rooms so they can get a feel for how the process really works. How much time they allocate to that depends on how the class is going.

Mark_McCall
05-28-2011, 02:01 AM
I've judged several non-affiliate competitions, and worked the print room at Kerrville for 6 years so I've got my finger on the pulse of competition. I'd just like to see what it's like at the International level.

Who else here is attending?

Allison_English_Watkins
06-01-2011, 02:26 AM
I'll be there! It has been on my to do list for a couple years. Can't wait to meet you all face to face. But I do have a question about the 15-20 prints I am supposed to bring. Are these fully finished 16x20 competition pieces? Are they past competition images or are these all new images that haven't been through the judging process yet?

Rick_Massarini
06-01-2011, 02:38 AM
I'll be there! It has been on my to do list for a couple years. Can't wait to meet you all face to face. But I do have a question about the 15-20 prints I am supposed to bring. Are these fully finished 16x20 competition pieces? Are they past competition images or are these all new images that haven't been through the judging process yet?
Any and all ! It doesn't matter if they've been previously scored or not, but they should be of competition quality. In order to do a judging class, you have to have prints to judge. If you have an assortment, I'd bring some competition prints, some merits, some non-merits, a reprint of Loan, and anything that you just want to get an opinion on - since that's what you're going to be starting off your judging practice with - well, that and a pile of prints that we'll pull for the class from those entered into the IPC this year.

Kimberlysmith7
06-07-2011, 04:27 AM
I'll be there... :) Excited!
How large is this class normally?

Rick_Massarini
06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
It varies somewhat... in the 20 range or so...
2007 - 26 students
2008 - 17 students
2009 - 17 students
2010 - 22 students

Kimberlysmith7
06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
ok so I have my images for the "mock competition" ... on the ones that are previous competition images, do we have to take all the stuff off the back? I would kind of like to leave them so I know what my final scoring was and everything... Just wondering. :) Thanks for all the input guys. This was my very first time posting or looking at the forum... haha :) I'll get better at this :)

Jeff_Dachowski
06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Kimberly,
You do not need to worry about any of the stuff on the back. The prints are just tools so that you dont score the same 8 prints over three days.

THey can even be scratched etc. They are just visuals for the class.
Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
06-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Have fun...I took the class several years ago. Jeff and Rick were both in the class with me.

Dave will definitely keep things light hearted and he's a great intrusctor. And Helen...what can you say about Helen. She's the best.

If Dennis pops just give him a diet coke to get on his good side.

Mark_McCall
06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Rick,
I have question.
My confirmation only says Gwinnett College on it. Nothing about what building or where to go.
Where do I have the hotel shuttle drop me off?
....and....do guys we're their ribbons?

Sarah_Johnston
06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Mark, Sorry nobody replied to your last post. Glad you found everything. It was nice to see you there. I look forward to seeing you again soon. Are you still interested in coming up to Northern IL to judge? I will give your info to our Print Chair.

Mark_McCall
06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Sarah,
I'd love to.
Pass my name along. When is your state judging?

Sarah_Johnston
06-17-2011, 03:19 AM
It is NOT a state but it IS an approved judging to be evaluated at! It is in Feb. 2nd Wed. I will. We would LOVE to have you come up.

Mark_McCall
06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Sarah,
GREAT.
I have spoken to the powers that be at New Mexico and Arkansas. Since I'm moving up the chain in TPPA, I'd like to get my evals done as quickly as I can.
Who would be a contact person for Northern IL?