PDA

View Full Version : Golden Boy - no judges for PPMA please

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-28-2011, 03:22 AM
I'm considering this one and was thinking of calling it 'The Golden Boy'. I look forward to any critiques you all may have.

http://envoguephoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/golden-boy.jpg

Rick_Massarini
04-28-2011, 05:41 AM
I see a hundred people walking around done up like this every year on Mardi Gras day..

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I can only imagine! LOVE ME SOME NEW ORLEANS!!! We had fun with this shoot!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Ok, either you guys are really really busy (hopefully making lots of money) or I have somehow fallen from the good graces of those who are honest with me about my work. If you hate it, that's ok... I would really like to know your thoughts on this and the girl I'm calling 'In Full Bloom'. I promise I have my big girl panties on today so I can take it if your thoughts are less than favorable lol. I really like both of these images, but I have a habit of entering stuff that I'm emotionally attached to. I'm working on breaking that habit so any thoughts you have would be much appreciated!

Joe_Galioto
04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
cindi
not sure what the image says to me, what story do you what the judges to see?
it's a high fashion image
seems a bit feminine
the missing far arm bothers me

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
All very good points Joe... Do you think a name change would help?

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Joe, do you think I should stay away from high fashion looks for competition? I love this kind of image, but if they don't do well in comp then that's very useful information :-)

Also, could you please look at this one for me? I have a few variations of this pose, but this one was my personal favorite....http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22460

Joe_Galioto
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
cindi
no - i think the title is good

i don't think high fashion is a problem
remember amy's peacock image i liked that one

as for as flowergirl
the painting looks a little sloppy around the edges of skin and flowers
didn't they tell you to color inside of the lines...
i think the crop is stagnant - her face is very centered in the whole frame
the first thing i'd do is flop the image so she's facing the left

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks again Joe!

My painting is very sloppy because I love a very impressionistic look lol... But, I suppose I could understand that the judges may not see it the way I do. I really don't like paintings that look too perfect. I think I was too careful about coloring in those lines as a child and now I'm a rebel as an adult :-)

I was worried about that crop but just haven't figured out exactly what I want to do with it. I honestly thought I best get a few opinions on it before spending too much more time with it, but then that's my thinking on the majority of what I post here. I'd really like to know if they are even worth spending the extra time on before going there lol...

So, do you think she would do well without the painting, with a flip and good crop? Thanks again Joe!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh, I was wondering about the name on the gold one because a friend suggested "Recycled"... I liked golden boy, but I agree that it doesn't exactly tell a story. With the wire around is neck I thought recycled may work, but then for some reason I want to turn him to silver instead of gold with that name.

Joe_Galioto
04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
cindi
i also like impressionism but your painting is probably not impressionistic enough if that's what your going for.
why don't you start with flipping the image and a dynamic crop
maybe you'll be inspired from that point and get your direction
if your going to paint - get looser that's something painters strive towards (i'm struggling with that with oil painting at this very moment)
i don't get "recycled" at all - golden boy is a better title in my opinion

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Will do! Thanks again Joe! I really appreciate your advice!

Tss1203
04-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I would prefer a more golden tone vs. the orange tone. One thing I noticed on this monitor-the edge of where his arm is has a little bit of skin tone showing thru.

I love the image though. One of my favorite things about you Cindi is how you let your true artistic side show on a daily basis. But I've already told you how much I admire your work :)

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree on the toning Amy! I've got some work to do there... I did some quick photoshopping to get it posted so I know exactly what area you're talking about on his arm. Glad you like it! I am also a true fan of your work; absolutely amazing stuff!

Joe_Galioto
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
amy
the color tone of the skin & background is what i would call "antique gold"
it's a pleasing warm color
if cindi makes it a more yellow gold not only would the skin look jauntis but the gold plate & accents would not be as defined

Tss1203
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I see what you mean, Joe. Good point. Maybe there is a balance in the middle somewhere?

thank you Cindi. That means a lot to me!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I'll definitely fix the toning on the arm and maybe punch it up around the eyes and tone it down where it seems to get too yellow...

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Ok, here's where I'm at on the other one... any thoughts on the crop? I know I have work to do on the painting or I may just go without the painting. Do you think it would do well without the painting? I can post one without if you like...
http://envoguephoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_0085_fbretouched_newcrop.jpg

Joe_Galioto
04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
cindi
i guess i was thinking of placing her on the right of the mat, seems that would be a better direction
i don''t like the way you croped her right arm, liked the full image better

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Hmmmmm... Joe, would you mind snagging the full sized image so you can crop it and show me what you had in mind? I guess my mind has went too far into art fantasy land lol. This is the part I struggle with the most!!!