PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 more choices for IPC! :)

elbeth789
04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/elbeth789/Finals%20for%20Comp/?action=view&current=_DSC0618web.jpg

Here is a possibility with the angel wings. And critiques would be super helpful :)

Heather_L._Smith
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey, Elizabeth, I'll jump in here. I have a couple challenges with the angel wings image that, in my opinion, might keep it out of the merit category.

First is her expression - if you have a title that pulls it in and explains it, that would help, but on first look at the image, she appears bored, or otherwise uninterested in what you're doing, and the way her hand is placed pulls at the back side of her little mouth (or at least it appears to do so). The other two issues appear to be post-production - the first is the blurring on the flowers at her forehead - my eye really, really wants those in the front to be in focus. If it was done in post-production, my personal option would be to remove the blurring. The reason my eye/brain is having a challenge with that is that if your aperture were small enough to cause blurring on that plane, but not blurring at her nose or eyes, then the same would be true for her ears - they would not be in focus either because they are a similar distance (back) from her eyes/nose as the flowers are (in front). Make sense? So, my photographic knowledge tells me that the flower blurring must have been done in post... then I ask myself why? Was it necessary to tell the story? And, frankly, you don't want the judges asking that many questions :)
The follow-up concern to that is the burning (or overlay) on the image. I can see it on her arm and on her neck, and it appears it might be up by her ear, too. This is another of those that starts the judges questioning (which you don't want), and starts them looking at the image longer to see if there's anything else that needs attention.

So, you're certainly not going to embarrass yourself by entering this one, but I don't think it will be in the merit category.

Hope that helps.

elbeth789
04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks a ton for the feed back Heather, I am really stuck on what to enter because two of my prints got 80's at state and scored 76's at district. I didn't have any back ups planned out so I need to work and find some! :)

I will just have to search though my hard drive a little harder! Thanks again

Heather_L._Smith
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Yep - I'm in a similar boat. Two that sealed at district, but two more to find. Ugh. Makes me tired just thinking about it. I may just resign myself to paying the late fee and giving myself another 2 weeks of procrastination.