PDA

View Full Version : Critiques wanted please

Zghdleslie
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I think I am ready for this, but since it is my first time I am clueless about what to expect or what to enter. I want to do some of the competitions but not even half way sure of where to start except for clicking the links in the competition tabs at ppa.

So here is the link to the first image.

http://www.holleyleslie.com/?p=156

Keith_A_Howe
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Holley,

Congratulations on taking the first step. It's scary to put yourself out there. Can we possibly see the original before you did any work? There is obvious extraction lines all the way around the image which will knock it way down. That is certainly a fixable issue but I don't know what it was that you were extracting so maybe that is a whole different challenge. There is also some focus issues that appear to be diffusion added in post processing. Again a fixable issue. Also is there more room on the original file? This crop with the amputated arms will adversely effect your score, so maybe someone here can suggest a better crop if there is more room to work with. A different crop could also help improve the composition so her face wasn't so tight to the left hand side.

One really good way to learn about competition, seeing as how we are late in the season and most state or districts are done for this year, is to purchase the Loan Collection or Showcase collection books ftrom Marathon Press. Studying those images - ,loan is the very best of the show and Showcase is considered to be the best of the general collection - is a good way to train your eye to recognize good lightinmg, good composition etc etc. Also read about the 12 elements here - http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php
At the bottom of that page is also a link to an article by my good friend Bob Hawkins that explains the elements even further.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!
Keith

Zghdleslie
04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Holley,

Congratulations on taking the first step. It's scary to put yourself out there. Can we possibly see the original before you did any work? There is obvious extraction lines all the way around the image which will knock it way down. That is certainly a fixable issue but I don't know what it was that you were extracting so maybe that is a whole different challenge. There is also some focus issues that appear to be diffusion added in post processing. Again a fixable issue. Also is there more room on the original file? This crop with the amputated arms will adversely effect your score, so maybe someone here can suggest a better crop if there is more room to work with. A different crop could also help improve the composition so her face wasn't so tight to the left hand side.

One really good way to learn about competition, seeing as how we are late in the season and most state or districts are done for this year, is to purchase the Loan Collection or Showcase collection books ftrom Marathon Press. Studying those images - ,loan is the very best of the show and Showcase is considered to be the best of the general collection - is a good way to train your eye to recognize good lightinmg, good composition etc etc. Also read about the 12 elements here - http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php
At the bottom of that page is also a link to an article by my good friend Bob Hawkins that explains the elements even further.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!
Keith

Thank you for your input, It will help me a lot to know what to look for. I am printing this out for reference as well.
I will also get the collection books. And continue to practice, and to learn. I hope to hear more from anyone else who may input as well. :)~ these are just stepping stones until I reach my goal!