PDA

View Full Version : What are the options with MP & MA (MEI) merits regarding the IPC

alishamcgraw
04-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I am new to the competition & confused with the IPC. I've read the rules for both areas but still feel unsure. For a little bit of background info; I've entered an image in the Western District that received a seal - at that level as well as my local affiliate level they do not have an "electronic imaging' category so I assumed I was working toward a MP with my merits. So, here's where I need some help from someone who has experienced this or understand the IPC well.

1. May I enter both the IPC Photographic & Electronic Imagery competitions -- meaning 8 images and $190?
2. Since the district didn't have a separate electronic imaging competition (mine were under Illustrative - Digital Imagery I believe) my seal was under a photographic competition. Will the seal transfer to the Electronic Competition?
3. If I pay the registration fee, may I compete 2 images in photographic & 2 in electronic?

I typically enter 2 digital imagery and 2 photographic at the local and district level. I thought I was working toward a MP degree ... So with that in mind, any advise?

Thanks ~Alisha McGraw

Rick_Massarini
04-20-2011, 04:09 AM
I am new to the competition & confused with the IPC. I've read the rules for both areas but still feel unsure. For a little bit of background info; I've entered an image in the Western District that received a seal - at that level as well as my local affiliate level they do not have an "electronic imaging' category so I assumed I was working toward a MP with my merits. So, here's where I need some help from someone who has experienced this or understand the IPC well.

1. May I enter both the IPC Photographic & Electronic Imagery competitions -- meaning 8 images and $190?
Yes you can. The Photographic Open competition and the Electronic Imaging Competitions are two separate competitions. You will have to pay both entry fees.

2. Since the district didn't have a separate electronic imaging competition (mine were under Illustrative - Digital Imagery I believe) my seal was under a photographic competition. Will the seal transfer to the Electronic Competition?
No. The seals received in the Photographic competition are only applicable to the PPA Photographic Open competition. Seals cannot be transferred from Photographic Open to Electronic Imaging. Since your images were judged by Photographic Open jurors in a Photographic Open competition, the sealed prints can only be entered into the PPA Photographic Open competition. There was only one district that judged Electronic Imaging entries at the District level and that was SEPPA.

3. If I pay the registration fee, may I compete 2 images in photographic & 2 in electronic?
You can enter both competitions and can enter 4 images in each of the competitions for a total of 8 images - four will apply towards the M.Photog. degree and the other four towards the M.Artist degree. There is no reason to limit yourself to two images in each. You will, of course, have to pay the entry fee for each of the two separate competitions. Also remember that there is no cross over between the Photographic Open and Electronic Imaging competitions - so PO entries are only applicable towards the M.Photog. and the Electronic Imaging entries are only applicable to the MEI (now M.Artist again).

I typically enter 2 digital imagery and 2 photographic at the local and district level. I thought I was working toward a MP degree ... So with that in mind, any advise? Thanks ~Alisha McGraw
Any prints that you received seals on at the District level will be applicable towards the M.Photog degree unless you entered the EI competition at SEPPA - SEPPA EI seals go towards your M.Artist (MEI has been replaced by M.Artist)

alishamcgraw
04-20-2011, 04:58 AM
THANK YOU SOOOO extremely much for your help!!! :) I see the light! hehe.

suebird
04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
When you enter your images, and print out your labels, does the system still print out labels for the digital entries in Photographic open? Did i do something wrong....or do i add these to the case?

Keith_A_Howe
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Alisha, I think Rick was very clear but just in case there was any misunderstanding, you cannot pay one entry fee and split the 4 entries between PO and EI. Two separate competitions, two separate entry fees, no matter how many entries in each case.

Sue, I am not completely sure but when I entered districts I had two file submissions for albums and two print submissions. My print outs did NOT include labels for the digital submissions, so I am thinking there may be an issue. The best place to get an accurate answer is to go to the expert. Call PPA and ask Colleen Sweeney. She is the PEC administrator.

Keith

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I entered all digital at Districts - there were no labels to print out. There's nothing to ship so you wouldn't need them.

ShooterCL
04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I just spoke to Colleen five minutes ago on a separate issue, but I did mention to her that my digital submission generated a label. So yes, a label is generated but is not needed. Coleen indicated that was a known issue that needs addressing.

Rick_Massarini
04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
The whole digital thing is all new and is still in the developmental stages until all the kinks are ironed out. It'll improve as little issues like this get brought to light. The two programmers that they have are fantastic at what they do, it'll just take a bit of time to get all the bugs out of what is a totally custom application that is being written in house by PPA for PPA.