PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for seals

Ed_Sharp
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I know the title sounds like something Polar Bears do, but I mean the other kind of seals. (Bad joke could not resist):p

I know they say if we have seals from district to wait 7 days after the competion end to enter the IPC so that the seals can migrate into the system, but is there a way to tell if your seals are there sooner than a week or do we just have to be patient? It is no big deal, my only concern was that it may be cutting it close for the NorthEast district with just a couple of days to spare.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Ed,
You only have to register your images by the 27th. They do not need to get the prints by then. So...on the 26th, register your images, and the seals should be all set. How did you do?

Jeff

Christine_Walsh-Newton
04-19-2011, 09:52 PM
The seals were in my record today from Northeast. I got an email from the PPA reminding me that I had one or more seals from a district and that I needed to make sure I entered the IPC for them to convert to merits. I went ahead and decided to try and register for IPC, since I went 4/4 at Northeast, I didn't have to substitute anything. I went through the process and my record already said "This image received a seal from a district competition" with the date of 4/16/2011 already filled in for each of the 4 images.

Ed_Sharp
04-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Jeff, I enetered digital files and I know that there is plenty of time to get my IPC enteries in, but I guess I am just a bit anxious to get them in lol. This was my first print comp since I was a student at RISP in 1985 and I have to admit I stressed more about it than I thought I would.
My districts images scored 87,82,79,78

Ed_Sharp
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks Christine and congrats on the clean sweep!
I have not gotten a notification from PPA on the seals yet.
I guess I should take advantage of the time to find a couple of new images that might have a shot at IPC.

Mark_Levesque
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
The seals were in my record today from Northeast. I got an email from the PPA reminding me that I had one or more seals from a district and that I needed to make sure I entered the IPC for them to convert to merits. I went ahead and decided to try and register for IPC, since I went 4/4 at Northeast, I didn't have to substitute anything. I went through the process and my record already said "This image received a seal from a district competition" with the date of 4/16/2011 already filled in for each of the 4 images.

I think Lorraine has really set the standard for district print chairs.

JohnHeckler
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Does the April 27th deadline mean your images need to be submitted online all ready, titles submitted, lower res image uploaded, etc? Or does it mean you just needed to register for IPC and still have time to upload, title, etc your images?

I do understand that the actual print case deadline is May10th (to avoid late fee), but does that mean it needs to be post-marked by May 10th or received on location by May 10th??

These are important questions for us last minute procrastinators! lol ;)

Keith_A_Howe
04-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Ed

A 79 at a district is an average score. It could have been five scores of 80,80,80,80 & 75. Or it could have been 78,78,78,78,85. You don't know. At IPC it's 6 judges on a panel and if 4 vote yes then it gets a merit. It's not an average it's just yes or no and a majority wins. So my general rule of thumb is send a 79 on to IPC. The exception to that would be if I knew there was a specific reason the print stopped at 79. Then I would try to fix that before I sent it on. Just last year I had a 79 at region (before districts) and it merited at national with no changes.

Just my worthless thoughts. You need to go with your gut instinct whether to replace that 79 print or not.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Does the April 27th deadline mean your images need to be submitted online all ready, titles submitted, lower res image uploaded, etc? Or does it mean you just needed to register for IPC and still have time to upload, title, etc your images?

I do understand that the actual print case deadline is May10th (to avoid late fee), but does that mean it needs to be post-marked by May 10th or received on location by May 10th??

These are important questions for us last minute procrastinators! lol ;)

The files have to be uploaded by April 27th. The prints have to be recieved by the 10th. No procrastination allowed!

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I think Lorraine has really set the standard for district print chairs.

Lorraine did a heck iof a job BUT the credit for getting the results posted and the seals registered goes to PPA staff. Terry Winslow got everything turned over to PPA the next day just like Lorraine did. It just took PPA a little longer for Northcentral then Northeast. I think it's a case of the more they do this , the quicker it gets.

Keith

Mark_Levesque
04-20-2011, 01:46 AM
I think it's a case of the more they do this , the quicker it gets.

That works.

JohnHeckler
04-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Ed,
You only have to register your images by the 27th. They do not need to get the prints by then. So...on the 26th, register your images, and the seals should be all set. How did you do?

Jeff

If one submits a digital file or album, does it need to be uploaded by April 27th or May 10th?

Tss1203
04-20-2011, 03:00 AM
If one submits a digital file or album, does it need to be uploaded by April 27th or May 10th?

Congrats on the award John!

Ed, I got my email today as well letting me know that I needed to send my images to IPC to get the merits. Possibly check your spam folder? A lot of my PPA emails were getting filtered there, so maybe you have the same issue?

I honestly have no clue what I'm going to replace my other 2 images with. I'm guessing I'll probably just do the late entry.....

JohnHeckler
04-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Congrats on the award John!

Hey thanks Amy, and congrats on your merits! Some very nice scores as well :)

Ed_Sharp
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Ed

A 79 at a district is an average score. It could have been five scores of 80,80,80,80 & 75. Or it could have been 78,78,78,78,85. You don't know. At IPC it's 6 judges on a panel and if 4 vote yes then it gets a merit.

Thanks for the information Keith, I didn't realize it worked that way at IPC.
I think I may take the Judging precon class next year at IUSA to get a better understanding of the process. I actually never considered enetering print comp until I helped set up the print display at IUSA and became inspired.

My 78 at district scored an 80 at NJ/NY state, but I have lost some confidence in that image, so I think I will replace that one. I know I can improve the 79, so maybe I will tweek that one a bit. If I had the courage to break the seal (I don't) my 87 has much room for improvement.

Ed, I got my email today as well letting me know that I needed to send my images to IPC to get the merits. Possibly check your spam folder? A lot of my PPA emails were getting filtered there, so maybe you have the same issue?

Thanks Amy, I will check that.

Ed_Sharp
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Looking back at what I titled this thread and my impatience to get my IPC entry in, I just wanted to clarify that I was not complaining that the seals were not coming fast enough, just that I was very anxious to get my entries in.

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/images/icons/icon4.gifI was also blown away by how quickly the results were posted and was not expecting to be able to see scores until much later in the week.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM

John if it is digital it needs to be uploaded by the 27th.
The extra time you have is simply to allow for shipping.
Jeff

Tss1203
04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I knew what you meant Ed :)

GregYager
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks Jeff, I enetered digital files and I know that there is plenty of time to get my IPC enteries in, but I guess I am just a bit anxious to get them in lol. This was my first print comp since I was a student at RISP in 1985 and I have to admit I stressed more about it than I thought I would.
My districts images scored 87,82,79,78

Excellent results Ed!!! Leave that 87 alone and just submit it. Keep in mind that you may be losing confidence in the 79 that scored an 80 earlier simply because you've seen it so much.

Joe_Campanellie
04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Since I went 4 for 4 this year at SEPPA I was sure to get everything registered and my case sent out with plenty of time to spare. Such a concept for me.

Was going to replace one of my prints and "break the seal" on that print but I figured I should just leave it alone with an 85.

I have to admit...I'm a die hard print guy through and through. But this new system sure makes a case for digital entries. Will be curious to see what the print show looks like at national. At SEPPA it was very small.

Ed_Sharp
04-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Excellent results Ed!!! Leave that 87 alone and just submit it.
Thanks Greg. Yeah, I am not brave enough to even consider breaking the seal, so no worries there.
Now if it can pass the "Really?" test is another thing.;)

Ed_Sharp
04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
I have to admit...I'm a die hard print guy through and through. But this new system sure makes a case for digital entries. Will be curious to see what the print show looks like at national. At SEPPA it was very small.
I have to say I love your wildlife prints Joe and look forward to seeing your latest additions in New Orleans.

Joe_Campanellie
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Ed...I have always prided myself on the quality of my prints. Guess that talent came from many, many years working in a traditional darkroom printing B&W, color, and cibachromes.

Erin_L._Clark
04-22-2011, 03:30 PM
John if it is digital it needs to be uploaded by the 27th.
The extra time you have is simply to allow for shipping.
Jeff

It doesn't have to be uploaded by the 27th if it's NOT digital?!?

Mark_Levesque
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
It DOES have to be uploaded by Apr 27th, print or digital, unless you want to pay the late fee.