PDA

View Full Version : study book for certification test

pphtg123
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I have searched in many places to find the book, Photography by Barbara London 10th edition at a reasonable price. I have had no luck thus far. This book is rather expensive, can any one make suggestions as to where to find this book at a reasonable price?

Missy50
04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Paul, it will not be 'reasonable' until 11 is about to go to print. You can sometimes find a used one. But since it is a recent release, it may be a while and still may be at a premium.

When I went to the Meeks' workshop last summer, many people had older editions and did well. I even have the 6th edition. It has more film and a tad digital. Compared to the 9th that has more digital and very little film.

Greg did not even use a book. He just studied the online sources. However, the Prentice Hall sample questions for edition 10 are only accessible by a code in your purchased copy of edition 10.

I did read online where a college photography teacher was going to stop using that book and find something more affordable for his students. It is a paperback and much of the information and photos are repeat from previous editions and could not understand why it is so expensive. My only guess is it is a large book. Takes a lot of wood to print and the printing is top quality.

suebird
04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey Paul, there are some incredible resources on certify with sandy forum that i have found really really thorough compared to the book. Even more appropriate because the posts are more specific and help you zone in on what is relevant in the chapters you need to study

pphtg123
04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks Missy and Sue for your suggestions. I have the 5th edition of the Photography book but I feel is too far outdated to use for the cert. test. I did look at the Sandy Puc site and enjoyed what was there but can't sit long enough at the computer to get the full benefits from that site. I will look for the 9th edition and consider perchasing it.

Thanks again for your help.

suebird
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Paul, if you want i can send you the chapter study guides that constance has sent me from the forum, i printed them off and study them along with the book

Michael_Gan
04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Just get the 9th edition. It will work just fine and for pennies on the dollar.

One word of caution: Make sure you understand the concepts, and not just memorizing for the exam. Many have failed because the questions are re-worded for actual working conditions in your professional practice.

HisWifeTheirMom
04-18-2011, 02:36 AM
I found mine on ebay. I paid like $30 for the 9th edition JUST before the 10th came out.

jaimerowe
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I used the 9th edition and passed the exam in March of this year. I was frustrated with the lack of study materials other than the 400+ page Photography book. I spent hours on the Certify with Sandy forum looking for little bits of information. The forum is good but you really have to "dig around" for the good stuff.

I decided to write a CPP Exam Study Guide with highlights of all chapters, charts, quizzes, tips and tricks for the exam. I want to help other photographers do well on this difficult exam.

Here is the link to my study guide and few other study materials for the CPP Exam:
http://www.certifiedphotographer.net/cpp-study-guides/

I really hope this helps!

Warm Regards,
Jaime