PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Even though I did test prints I'm not happy w/the way one of my images printed. I admit that it is entirely my fault. It several little choices I made with presentation that didn't work. I don't have time to reprint.

What happens if I choose not to send this print to districts? I've already registered and am getting my case ready for shipping today. Opinions?

Nylora_Bruleigh
04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
If you dont have another image to replace it with why not send it anyway? You might get some feedback (if you will be there to hear it) to make changes and send to Nationals.

Marc_Benjamin
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
It depends, sometimes people choose not to send to avoid hanging a low score. At some point, some people only really play to place and don't send cases if there is little chance that year avoiding the self-imagined humiliation of scoring a 77/78.

In your case, might as well send them in since you've already paid the case fee. If you know that it's a bust, start thinking now of what you'll send in to nationals (I just can't get used to calling it IPC sounds too close to PVC) instead.

Good luck!

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
good points, thank you everyone.

So one more quick question- my print is a tan color, but the mounting is black. Do I leave the edge as is, or do I find a way to correct it? The mounting isn't exact, either. Do I leave the little bit of mounting edge, or do I find a way to trim it?

GregYager
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Give it all the help you can. Trim it up and wish it luck.

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm just concerned on how to trim it....any suggestions? I don't have a cutting board big enough.

Joe_Galioto
04-05-2011, 05:25 PM
amy
if you don't love it or think you can improve it i would leave it out of the case
i'm assuming you have 3 other prints your sending
i wouldn't send something i'm not happy with

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
thanks Joe. I think that is what bothers me. I'm not happy with it, and because I'm aware of the it, I'm almost embarrassed to send it on.

I didn't specify to my lab that this image was for comp, and I forgot to request a white mount board. Then the board is a little bit big, which just looks unfinished to me. Add these two issues to the fact that I printed the image on a 16x20 and should have definitely gone smaller *and* the little bit of grain that is in the image and it just totally ruins the print for me.

Easy things to fix in time for nationals, I just didn't want to send something on to districts that looked sloppy. And this does.

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
So what's the worse that could happen? It goes to district and it doesn't score as well as you would like so all of the judges are gonna stand up, turn around and search the room for you. Then all the spectators will point fingers at you crouching in the back and start laughing. I assume this is for North east so I will also bring rotten eggs to throw at you.

Get over it! There is no humilation in having a low scoring print. It happens. I had a 78 this year. If anybody thinks less of me because of that - well they aren't the kind of people that I care very much what they think.

You can't change to a different print once you have registered and leaving out a print won't save you any money. I always do the best I possibly can. Sometimes it's the best I possibly can by the dealine I have. To me leaving it out at this point is silly.

Call a local framing store and ask them if they can trim the edges for you on their mat cutter. Shouldn't be but $8-$10 maybe. I get my prints mounted on black sintra for competition so the dark mount board is preferable, not a problem. If the edge of the print itself shows up as a white line, then take a Sharpie marker and run it around the edge to color that white to black. This isn't a fix for a problem - it's the prefered way to do it - unless it's a white print.

FWIW - if this seals at Northeast, you can't change it before IPC without breaking the seal.

Keith

Joe_Galioto
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
keith
are you saying that YOU would send a print that you were not pleased with?
sounds like there's several issues with this print that amy is unhappy with
the problem is waiting to the last minute, next time you'll give yourself some time in case you need to remake any

suebird
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Amy,
I will send in my print i am not happy with right along with yours ;) I think Keith is right on above, you invested this much time, go through with it and let's see how we do ;) . I will take some of the egg target away from you.

I hope to be there to watch, this will be my first ever print entry, print case (which is enormous) print critique in a long time and I am just happy knowing i am gonna learn a whole lot about my process when this is all done.

Hope to meet you at the back of the room! in my Sunglasses on and under a ball cap! ;)

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
So what's the worse that could happen? It goes to district and it doesn't score as well as you would like so all of the judges are gonna stand up, turn around and search the room for you. Then all the spectators will point fingers at you crouching in the back and start laughing. I assume this is for North east so I will also bring rotten eggs to throw at you.

Get over it! There is no humilation in having a low scoring print. It happens. I had a 78 this year. If anybody thinks less of me because of that - well they aren't the kind of people that I care very much what they think.

You can't change to a different print once you have registered and leaving out a print won't save you any money. I always do the best I possibly can. Sometimes it's the best I possibly can by the dealine I have. To me leaving it out at this point is silly.

Call a local framing store and ask them if they can trim the edges for you on their mat cutter. Shouldn't be but $8-$10 maybe. I get my prints mounted on black sintra for competition so the dark mount board is preferable, not a problem. If the edge of the print itself shows up as a white line, then take a Sharpie marker and run it around the edge to color that white to black. This isn't a fix for a problem - it's the prefered way to do it - unless it's a white print.

FWIW - if this seals at Northeast, you can't change it before IPC without breaking the seal.

Keith

Well, of course nobody is going to walk off. This is a white print, so I should've had it mounted on white. I'm only embarrassed to myself. Not b/c I'm afraid someone will think less of me. I'm not embarrassed for it to score low. I don't have high hopes or expectations for anything I'm sending. There are things with each of my prints that I'm second guessing. But this one is different, I'm just disappointed that this looks sloppy.

As it is, I have a frame shop right across the street so I'll probably take it over there and see if they can trim it for me. Thanks for the suggestion, Keith!

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I understood you to say it was a tan print, sorry. As for the rest I was trying to be funny - guess it didn't come off that way. Sorry if I offended you.

Keith

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I was trying to be funny - guess it didn't come off that way. Sorry if I offended you.

Keith

Of course you didn't offend me :) But I did think that you were being serious ;)

Joe_Galioto
04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
ok now i'm confused

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
lol, ack, sorry for confusing.

Yes, it is more off white/tan, and I just thought the black mount looked bad.

I'm going to send it on and let it go. I just wanted to know if others would do the same with a print they weren't happy with. Thank you everyone for you input and help :)

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
keith
are you saying that YOU would send a print that you were not pleased with?

Absolutely if that was my only choice. It doesn't bother me to bomb. It would bother me to be so concerned with my reputation that I will only enter if I can be certain of a high score. I try to give myself enough time to correct stuff like this. And of course I try to make every entry the best it can be. But sometimes it just doesn't work out that way no matter how hard I try. I don't let that stop me.

Keith

Joe_Galioto
04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
amy
good luck

Tss1203
04-05-2011, 07:03 PM
very true, Keith. But, our opinions of what "bombing" means is probably different, lol.

Tss1203
04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, my case arrived safely yesterday. I was worried after Keith's ordeal w/fedex, but surprisingly mine arrived a day early.

I went to the frame shop across the street and he said he could try to trim it but was afraid he would mess it up since it was such a small amount needed. I just left as was and sent it on it's way.

FYI, I wasnt all panicky about the print, I just was curious what others choose to do.

GregYager
04-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Good luck Amy!!!

Rick_Massarini
04-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Amy,
Never send in a partial case. The print case fee is the same whether you send in four or if you pull the last print and only send in three. If you have to remake the print anyway to improve it and can't get it ready in time, and you have nothing else to put in your case - just send in the questionable one. You might be surprised and that might be the one that scores the highest...

Joe_Galioto
04-09-2011, 02:44 PM
for me personally , i could only enter what i thought was my very best
i'd rather send in 3 prints and next time i won't wait to the last moment
just who i am