PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck , please help!

Canupp
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, Ive been dawdling around and haven't chosen any images for my CPP submission (ok ONE, but I cant say that get me very far)
I browse through my recent work and look at something and pick it apart and can't seem to find anything worth using. I don't know if I'm being too critical, but I feel like I've hit a roadblock. Does anyone have some time to look at my work and give me few suggestions? I think maybe if someone can help me get the ball rolling, I can go from there? Here's hopin anyway!

Thanks in advance!

ChristyLynn
04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I think I've got something picked out and then change my mind. I'm sure you'll get some great feed back here.

GregYager
04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I haven't forgot you Melane. It's just a mental road block because when I glanced through your images I saw plenty that could work. I planned to mark them for you by now but I'm backlogged on editing. I'll get to it asap.

Canupp
04-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I haven't forgot you Melane. It's just a mental road block because when I glanced through your images I saw plenty that could work. I planned to mark them for you by now but I'm backlogged on editing. I'll get to it asap.

I know the feeling! I don't want to bug anyone, tho, figured maybe someone else has some free time right now? Ive got a bunch going on the next couple weeks too, so I kinda want to work on this while I have a free day here and there ;) I really really appreciate your time!

Rick_Massarini
04-05-2011, 03:39 AM
Post a link - I'll take a look at them when I have a few minutes free.

Canupp
04-05-2011, 06:21 AM
The Facebook page has most of my recent sessions - http://www.facebook.com/MACPhotographyGSO, but my website has a lot of stuff from Nov/Dec too
www.macphotographyonline.com

Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
04-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Instead of my picking around all over your website and all over your Facebook page why don't you put together a selection of 20-30 of your best images in one spot and we can look them over, discuss, and delete some. The selection of what you think you should send in should be your selection. You can get opinions as to what to delete, but to dig over your website and facebook pages puts that selection in someone else's hands, and that's not the way it should be done. And anyone who knows me knows that I firmly believe in playing by the rules - all the rules - I'm to much of a Boy Scout (Scoutleader actually) to do anything other. So give me a reasonably sized pile of images and I'll tell you which ones I would not send in if I were you.

Tss1203
04-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Melane, did you get some feedback?

bwalker
04-09-2011, 04:20 AM
I know the feeling! I don't want to bug anyone, tho, figured maybe someone else has some free time right now? Ive got a bunch going on the next couple weeks too, so I kinda want to work on this while I have a free day here and there ;) I really really appreciate your time!

Is it OK to be polite and blunt at the same time?

You admit to "dawdling" and you've managed to have chosen a single image for CPP submission in one post. And, in another post, you're looking for someone else with some free time "right now". And then we're told you have a "bunch going on the next couple weeks too" and then you state "you kinda want to work on this while I have a free day here and there". All this while you're asking others to sift through your photographs located on another web site. Do you really think that sounds appropriate?

Your About Us states how you can be trusted in your work as you're a member of the PPA and the Better Business Bureau. Please tell me this is not your idea of how a professional operates. On top of that slight to the PPA organization as a whole only consumers actually think the BBB has anything to do with anything.

To be polite but firm. This is not how a professional operates. This is a perfect example of how the word "Professional" can be very misleading. If you feel the need for help and you would like help from professionals I think it's fair to expect that you conduct yourself in a professional manner by working your part of the game. If your life is so busy it might be better to wait until you have the time yourself to do everything you've asked others to do for you. It would become a more valuable learning experience if you put more skin into the game.

Hopefully I have come across as being polite. Please don't confuse the word Professional with what you've done here. It's not fair to many on this forum. Make believe this whole thing never occured and rethink what you're doing and regroup. Your career will be the better for it.

Canupp
04-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Is it OK to be polite and blunt at the same time?

You admit to "dawdling" and you've managed to have chosen a single image for CPP submission in one post. And, in another post, you're looking for someone else with some free time "right now". And then we're told you have a "bunch going on the next couple weeks too" and then you state "you kinda want to work on this while I have a free day here and there". All this while you're asking others to sift through your photographs located on another web site. Do you really think that sounds appropriate?

Your About Us states how you can be trusted in your work as you're a member of the PPA and the Better Business Bureau. Please tell me this is not your idea of how a professional operates. On top of that slight to the PPA organization as a whole only consumers actually think the BBB has anything to do with anything.

To be polite but firm. This is not how a professional operates. This is a perfect example of how the word "Professional" can be very misleading. If you feel the need for help and you would like help from professionals I think it's fair to expect that you conduct yourself in a professional manner by working your part of the game. If your life is so busy it might be better to wait until you have the time yourself to do everything you've asked others to do for you. It would become a more valuable learning experience if you put more skin into the game.

Hopefully I have come across as being polite. Please don't confuse the word Professional with what you've done here. It's not fair to many on this forum. Make believe this whole thing never occured and rethink what you're doing and regroup. Your career will be the better for it.

I'm not real sure if you've just had a bad day or what, but this comes across as incredibly RUDE and highly offensive. In all my years on this forum I can't think of a time when anyone who considers themselves a professional photographer here has spoken to another professional in such a manner. Let me take 3 minutes away from my editing to address each of your points, and please read them carefully and understand exactly what I am saying as I do not wish to repeat myself
1. I said ive been dawdling because every time I look at my images, I dont really see anything worthy (side note - after looking at some other photographers passing portfolios this afternoon, I no longer feel this way)- please read the ENTIRE sentence instead of picking out what you like here and there.
2. We're all busy - duh. We all have a slow day here and there. My slow days aren't always going to be the same as yours, but there are a LOT of photographers on here and I figured that maybe one might be free the same day as me who could offer me some suggestions. Pretty simple concept, and in fact (in my opinion), more professional than whining and expecting people to take time off of their busy schedule to help me - no, I do not wish to bother people who are busy right now, nor do I wish to seem ungrateful if someone wants to talk with me at a later time when my schedule is busy and I must decline
3. Do you understand the basic concept behind PPA and BBB? Well it's kinda like being a scout - "I promise to do my best always" and this is something that is VERY important to me. When I joined both, I made an oath, to hold myself to high moral standards and conduct business the same way. THAT'S why it is important. Maybe a lot of people join and never read that part, but it's there. Personally I am disgusted by folks who have a poor work ethic and just plain don't care about what they do. I am not that person, and I never have been. EVERYTHING I have ever done I have put my heart and soul in to and excelled in, and I won't do anything half-assed, which likely is part of the reason why I am concerned my work isn't good enough to submit.

Please try not to tell me what a professional is, perhaps it would behoove you to pick up a dictionary and check it out for yourself. And please don't think you can call what you wrote an attempt to be polite -as it is most blatantly not.

Corrie_Zacharias
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow, Melane - my first thought was to tell you to settle down. Then I looked at the time of your post, and my second thought was to tell you to get some sleep! It's unclear just who is having the bad day here. You've been told now by two people - one nice, one a little more stern - that you need to get it together before asking people to help you. They have valid points, and their thoughts are probably echoed by people who haven't bothered to post. It would behoove you to get a selection of images together - when you have a slow day - and provide a link to them so that other people who are having a slow day can access them without spending a lot of time doing so. It's merely showing consideration for others' time. I don't know about anyone else, but when I have extra time, I spend it doing things for ME, and if I'm going to help someone else, I want to do it as conveniently as possible.

Now that you've had a chance to evaluate others' portfolios, you must have an idea of which of your images measure up, and it shouldn't be hard to make a selection and post them somewhere. If it's that important to you, you'll make the time to do it.

Canupp
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Now that you've had a chance to evaluate others' portfolios, you must have an idea of which of your images measure up, and it shouldn't be hard to make a selection and post them somewhere. If it's that important to you, you'll make the time to do it.

The following is to be read in a low, monotone inflection (lol):

I believe I did answer this in my last post.

Since Rick made this comment last week, I have been working on fulfilling his request, which is why there are no other posts after that. Then out of the blue someone replies, telling me that even though I've made my living as a professional photographer for the last 15 years:

"Please don't confuse the word Professional with what you've done here. It's not fair to many on this forum. Make believe this whole thing never occured and rethink what you're doing and regroup. Your career will be the better for it."

I'm sorry but that is a deep personal attack on my life's work and yes, I'm pissed.

I get very tired repeating myself because folks like to pick and choose what they want to read. It seems like an awful lot of individuals here don't really have anything helpful to add, they just like to start arguments. If one person has made mention in a nice, polite, professional manner, why is it others feel the need to repeat the same thing over and over while being disrespectful about it (and still not reading everything said), And if someone feels the need to be rude for no apparent reason - I'm gonna be rude right back.

Corrie, based on your reply: "when I have extra time, I spend it doing things for ME, and if I'm going to help someone else, I want to do it as conveniently as possible.", I can see you and I are not the same type of teacher. In my lifetime I have taught many people many things, and I have learned that people learn differently. For that reason, if I have made the conscious decision to give my time and attention to help someone learn something, I'm going to do it how THEY learn best, not what's best for me. If I can't help someone learn how they learn, then what's the point?

I didn't ask anyone to pick out an entire selection of images, all anyone needed to do was say "here, this one's not perfect, but it will do". I needed a guideline of what imperfections are acceptable and which are not. By looking at others portfolios, I now have a guideline, which is all I ever wanted. I made a general post to anyone who would have a minute, and anyone who doesn't need not reply at all. Period. No need to be rude to someone asking for help. Obviously some of you out there think the request is outrageous, and some DON'T. Not every photographer feels the same way on this forum that you do, so why do you feel the need to speak for others?

There are thousands of members of this forum and only a few post. Why? Well over the years plenty of people have mentioned how others are not helpful and only attack those asking for help. Perhaps many of people are afraid of posting something and asking for help because they don't want these kinds of negative responses and they don't want to have to defend themselves. It's not conducive to a warm, friendly, inviting environment. I'm a moderator on another forum (non-photo related), and the number one rule there is "be nice to your fellow members", and if you're not- you're asked to edit your post or it's deleted. For that reason, it's a wonderful, enjoyable, inviting place where there are no bullies on the playground. That's how it should be here - no bullying allowed. We could help a lot more people that way.

Tss1203
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry guys, but I think you both kinda attacked Melani. I understand what you are saying, and Rick had no problem saying the same thing in a very polite way. There really was no reason to say what you did.

Melani, it's hard selecting photos for CPP, but yes, it is part of the learning process. Were you able to select some images?

Canupp
04-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Sorry guys, but I think you both kinda attacked Melani. I understand what you are saying, and Rick had no problem saying the same thing in a very polite way. There really was no reason to say what you did.

Melani, it's hard selecting photos for CPP, but yes, it is part of the learning process. Were you able to select some images?

Thank you Amy, and yes, I do have several picked out, but still more to choose. I think maybe by the end of the week I'll have enough to narrow down a final pick, and a wonderful person has offered to take a look at them for me when I'm ready. Now that I have a better idea of what to look for, the selection process has been much smoother ;)

Rick_Massarini
04-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Melane - just put them all in one spot with a link to them. Put up about 30 or so, then we can play yes/no until you get down to a batch of 20. It's just that surfing around websites and facebook pages takes waaay too much time.

bwalker
04-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Because voice inflection is missing you just may be misunderstanding. The post discusses being blunt. You may want to assume it was written with the intention of being polite but blunt as stated. 2 times.

Never get hung up on the tone of a message, whether verbal or print. Determine whether there may be any validity in what you have heard or read. After all it's really the message that is important. I think you need to re-examine all the posts contained in this thread for the underlying message. If you still feel you're correct than you're correct. Only you know what you really meant in your original post.

Joe_Galioto
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Billy
I understand some of your sediment
but you response to Melane was awfully harsh
I think you just like controversy
you attacked her just like you attacked my post last week
maybe you should strive to be a bit kinder on this forum

bwalker
04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Billy
I understand some of your sediment
but you response to Melane was awfully harsh
I think you just like controversy
you attacked her just like you attacked my post last week
maybe you should strive to be a bit kinder on this forum

Actually, I thought the Jessica response on my side was realistic and polite.The Melane post was blunt but I indicated so in order to not offend. But apparently offend it did. The Melane post just sounded so lazy to me. Judging by Melane's response I would assume I misinterpreted which is why I made an additional post in order to clarify. It's so darn easy to misinterpret other's writings.

To me it was made clear about the bluntness but that doesn't mean everyone read it the same way I meant it. I'm not so sure how you get around that issue and it seems to crop up on forums in general on a regular basis even when I'm not involved. That is why I made it a point to ignore the delivery and concentrate on the underlying message. The potential benefit really lies there. I prefer blunt as it get's to the point immediately and can allow you to focus on your own actions from someone else's point of view. Anyway, long story short I was trying to be helpful.