PDA

View Full Version : North Central District Competition completed

Sarah_Johnston
04-02-2011, 01:45 AM
So the last 2 days have been pins and needles for myself and a whole bunch of my friends. I was not able to attend the judging but the reviews I have gotten have been great! They told me they felt that things went pretty smooth and the judges seemed very fair and consistent. Now maybe I have only gotten reports from people happy with their scores but I don't think so.
The reports on the digital side were also good. My friends thought that the system seemed pretty cool and they enjoyed watching it.
On a personal note I was fortunate enough to go 4 for 4, so I of course am thrilled with how North Central went! More important though. I had a friend get their last merit for their Masters, another went 4/4 and now only needs one more for hers. Another went 3/4 and this his only his second year competing. Yet another went 4/4, 3 of which were albums. One of which scored a 99!! Several friends are very happy with their results.
I hope the next districts go as wonderfully as the ones have gone so far!!

ChontelleBrown
04-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Congratulations Sarah. What a relief to go into IPC knowing you having 4 for 4.

Chontelle

Sarah_Johnston
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
You are so right Chontelle. I am a gluten for punishment tho, so I will now try to get an EI case together! LOL

genxvisual
04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Congrats! I sent a case but couldn't attend either... I'm still on pins and needles to hear how mine did. 4 for 4 is awesome!

Keith_A_Howe
04-04-2011, 11:58 PM
My very good friend Terry Winslow was the print chairman for HOA which hosted the North Central District competition. He posted on Facebook this afternoon at about 2:00 that all cases had been shipped out via UPS. I think that's amazing. Anybody know when the cases from SEPPA will be returned?

Brian for some reason I remember seeing your name in the print show but I have no idea why I remember it or what the scores were.

Keith

Sarah_Johnston
04-05-2011, 02:27 AM
WOW shipped out already! That is amazing!! I am excited to get it back and sent off to IPC.

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Congrats! I sent a case but couldn't attend either... I'm still on pins and needles to hear how mine did. 4 for 4 is awesome!

Here you go

http://www.hoappa.com/North%20Central/2011%20North%20Central%20District%20Judging%20Resu lts.pdf

GregYager
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Anybody know when the cases from SEPPA will be returned?

Keith

I just checked the tracking number on my return label and according to that it's still not in the system.

genxvisual
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Keith, thank you! 2 merits is good. I'm a little surprised at the scoring based on how mine did at the state level (and I made some minor improvements) but I'll take it! 2 is better than none and the other 2 were pretty close. Thank you again

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Brian,
This has been discussed on this forum many many times in the past but probably before you were active here. State competitions are not the same thing as districts. They usually do not have a full panel of approved jurors and states often mimic national rules but they certainly don't have to. It is not uncommon for scores to be quite a bit lower at a district comp where you have all approved affiliate jurors scoring. Approved jurors are required to judge by IPC standards no matter what. We are not to go easy for a state or local judging. It's not uncommon for a state or local print chair to say "well we don't want to discourage anybody". I can certainly understand that. If members get hurt feelings and quit entering then there are less print case fees and it's hard to finance a competition. But as an approved juror I am not allowed to "go easy". Non approved jurors are not bound by any directives. And let's face it, if a judge punches lots of high numbers everybody likes them and they get asked back. So at a state where you have non approved jurors on a panel it is more likely that the scoring is easier. Also even among approved jurors there are some that lean more to the technical side and some that are more warm fuzzy judges. At a district or IPC they know the personalities of the different judges and purposefully mix up a panel to get a good balance - which is what you want! But the judges who have high standards for techincal excellence might not be punching high numbers as frequently as judges who lean toward the emotional impact aspect. Like I said you want both kinds of judges on a panel. But at a state competition where the panel does not have to have approval by PEC*, the state can pick whomever they want. And of course the judges who have a reputation for scoring higher will be a more popular choice. Of course this is not always the case but it does happen this way frequently. Members sometimes remark on how can it be that scores can change on the same print from one competition to the next but these are some of the reasons why that happens. Hope it helps you understand better.

* In rereading this I realized the term "approved" could be confusing here. There are approved jurors but also at a district competition, PEC has to approve the roster of jurors. I don't know but I am guessing that a balanced mix is one of the many things they are looking for when they approve the list.

Keith

genxvisual
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Keith,

Thank you I appreciate the breakdown of the system. I actually knew about the approved juror. I've been on print crew for a few years but always got too busy to send my prints on. In Iowa we usually get all approved jurors (if I remember right this last year we did have all but 1). Funny thing is that 3 of ours were at HOA so I'm assuming they had to excuse themselves and one of them has fought for one of my prints at the state level (oh well, my luck... LOL).

I roll with the punches so I won't be too sad as the two that didn't merit were pretty close. The only discouraging one was my 81 print as I thought it would do better but it merited regardless and since it was a client print and the client loves it then I'm good.

Now to prep for the next one and really step up my game!

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Unless they knew it was your print they would not excuse themselves. I judge the same print many times at districts and then at IPC. It doesn't matter if they judged it before, only if they know the maker.

What I would look at - just for curiousity sake - is if other prints from Iowa scored similarly or lower at HOA.

Keith

genxvisual
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah I was thinking that that... many of them scored similar or within 1-2 points. So I think it was just me who had the big differences... LOL. I'm still happy though and just excited to know my scores now... I was expecting to wait a couple weeks.

tjolness
04-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know if they post the Award winners? I am curious to see who won which awards.

Keith_A_Howe
04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, the awards will be posted on the Heart of America website www.hoappa.com But they won't show up until probably next week.

Keith

wancket
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Keith,

I still cannot find where awards are posted...
Someone wrote on my facebook wall just this week a congratulations that I had won photographer of the year. How do I check that?
I figure since that is a major award that I would have heard that already...But if it is true, how would I know?
Thanks for helping here,

Audrey

Christine_Walsh-Newton
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Audrey -

IF you send on your four sealed prints from HOA to the IPC, they will convert to merits. Any maker who has all four entries merit will automatically be awarded a Photographer of the Year award by the PPA. There are 5 different levels of the award, for each additional print that is accepted into the Loan Collection, you go up a level in the POTY award ladder.

Bronze POTY: 4 General Collection Images
Silver POTY: 3 General Collection & 1 Loan Collection
Gold POTY: 2 General Collection & 2 Loan Collection
Platinum POTY: 1 General Collection & 3 Loan Collection
Diamond POTY: 4 Loan Collection

Congratulations - you had some very impressive scores!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I think Audrey means the canon par excellence award, not the pity.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I know that the awards are still waiting on the person incharge of the HOA website to be available to post them. I checked with Terry Winsolw the Print Chairman, and he said I could post all the awards here. Congratulations to all.

4 for 4 North Central District Print Cases
Ben Shirk Iowa
Michael Barton Minnesota
Ryan Brown Missouri
Christine Kline Illinois
Sarah Johnson Illinois
Nancy Bailey-Pratt Indiana
Dan McClanahan Iowa
Mary Bortz Iowa
Brandon Bassett Missouri
James Chagares Indiana
Quinn Hancock Kansas
Kenneth Martin Wisconsin
Joy Thorton Illinois
Tegan Olness Wisconsin
Marry Mannix Illinois
Audrey Wancket Illinois
Mary Braunsdorf Wisconsin
Nathan Ham Kansas
Dan Frievalt Wisconsin
Bert Behnke Illinois

Top Ten Photographers North Central District
Name Score State/ Provence

Ten Dan McClanahan 343 Iowa
Nine Brandon Bassett 346 Missouri
Eight John Gladman 349 Kansas
Seven Paul McMillian 349 Missouri
Six Kenneth Martin 356 Wisconsin
Five Nancy Bailey-Pratt 356 Indiana
Four Dan Frievalt 358 Wisconsin
Three Michael Barton 359 Illinois
Two Ben Shirk 362 Iowa
One Audrey Wancket 362 Illinois

Best CPP Print of Show
Dann Kasallis “I Do” Minnesota

Best Print of Show (Tie, both 100 Score)
Paul McMillian “Winter’s Embrace” Missouri
Nancy Bailey-Pratt “Eager To Answer” Indiana

Kodak Gallery Awards –North Central District
Category Maker/State Entry # Title State
Portrait Nancy Bailey-Pratt 1268-3 Eager to Answer Indiana
Portrait Audrey Wancket 1468-2 Daydreamer Wisconsin
Album Nathan Ham 1503-4 Our little Secret Kansas
Illustrative John Gladman 1390-4 Morning Rounds Kansas
Endura Metallic Kenneth Martin 1442-3 Golden Gate Wisconsin

Fuji Masterpiece Awards
Portrait Dan Frievalt 1520-3 The Afternoon Wisconsin
Illustrative Dan McClanahan 1311-1 Never Trust A Woman Iowa

Lexjet Sunset Award
John Gladman 1390-4 Morning Rounds Kansas

ASP Regional Award
Nancy Bailey-Pratt 1268-3 Eager to Answer Indiana

Canon Par Excellence Award
Dan Frievalt 1520 Wisconsin

Sarah_Johnston
04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Nice to see that every state had a good showing. Congratulations Audrey! 2 little corrections Keith. In the 4 for 4 - Michael Barton is Illinois and it is Johnston not Johnson

Keith_A_Howe
04-27-2011, 01:06 AM
2 little corrections Keith. In the 4 for 4 - Michael Barton is Illinois and it is Johnston not Johnson

Sarah, I didn't compile this list. I just copied and pasted what was sent to me.

Keith

Sarah_Johnston
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
No biggie.