PDA

View Full Version : Certification Stats

jaimerowe
03-30-2011, 04:42 AM
I looking on the PPA site and I found this statement:
"After all, you will be one of less than 8% of professional photographers (less than 1,725 in the world) who have attained certification."

I am not sure when this information was researched but I was wondering how many people are currently photographers with the CPP certification. Has the 1,725 increased? decreased?

Warm Regards,
Jaime

Jaime

Marc_Benjamin
03-30-2011, 07:16 AM
What I wanna know is how we figured out the total number of professional photographers worldwide.

Zack_Davis
03-30-2011, 08:23 AM
There's 3 kinds of lies in the world. Lies, d**n lies, and statistics.

I'd bet they just went too government census numbers from western and a few Asian countries to get a sample and estimated the population from that. Then from that they got the 8% figure by the number of PPA registered CCP's that were current at the time the statistic was taken.

That said it's almost a pointless statistic since it doesn't give a failure rate (registered but didn't complete or pass the exam/photo submissions) or an estimate of how much it improves a business to be certified or not... which are both two statistics they could easily access especially since they have access to almost the entire population of CPP's it would be very accurate as well.

Zack_Davis
03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Oh and lacking a confidence interval it's hard to say that their standard error wasn't + or - 8% (or more).

Haha (can you tell I'm working on Statistic's homework?)

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Jaime - that information has been updated within the last 6 months, I believe. I'm a CPP liaison and check the website regularly and I know that it wasn't too long ago that the stats said 4%.

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a relatively new statistic. Except, I'd be interested to know how they got the figure 8%... 8% of PPA members, or of all "professional" photographers?

GregYager
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a relatively new statistic. Except, I'd be interested to know how they got the figure 8%... 8% of PPA members, or of all "professional" photographers?

The number of "professional" photographers increases every time you host a photo tour of Rome Steff.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
That 8% must assume 8% of PPA members worldwide. 22,000 members of which 1765 are certified equals 8 percent. We all know that is it likely less than 1 percent of photographers worldwide are CPP's.
Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
That 8% must assume 8% of PPA members worldwide. 22,000 members of which 1765 are certified equals 8 percent. We all know that is it likely less than 1 percent of photographers worldwide are CPP's.
Jeff

That's what I was going to say, but Jeff beat me to it. Regardless, the number of certified photographers is very low compared to the number of people who hang a shingle. It's a differentiator if you use it as such.

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
The number of "professional" photographers increases every time you host a photo tour of Rome Steff.

HAHAHA! Omg, Greg - I almost fell out of my chair!