PDA

View Full Version : what scores mean

beekaone
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Could someone please direct me to resources on what, exactly the print scores mean? I know you must have an 80 or better to merit, but is there something that explains the scoring better. The 12 Elements describes what the judges are looking for, but how does that correlate with the score? I mean, 80 is merit-worthy, so a 79 is not quite there? A 70 is average? A sixty is ???? Is there like a minimum score given? Thanks for guidance! :)

Keith_A_Howe
03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
From the jury chair manual

Exceptional 100-95
Superior 94-90
Excellent 89-85
Deserving of a Merit 84-80
Above Average 79-75
Average 74-70
Below Exhibition Standards 69-65

Deserving of Review 81-78
Merit Print 80 and Above

65 is now the minimum score that can be given. Deserving of review means the entry comes in front the judges one more time at the end to make sure it is a merit or not. 81 & 80 are reviewed first and if they happen to move down then they are inc;luded in the group of 78 & 79 to see if they should move up to 80. While that is rare, I have seen it happen.

Hope this helps
Keith

beekaone
03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank you so much Keith! Yes, that helped considerably! Given what I submitted, I now know where those fell in the ratings. I'm so happy I entered and am looking forward to, hopefully, getting better and being "deserving of a merit.":D

Erin_L._Clark
03-29-2011, 11:24 PM
To continue on with this thread- those image that receive a seal - go on to international to be judged? Do the new judges know what score they received at regional?

Rick_Massarini
03-29-2011, 11:38 PM
To continue on with this thread- those image that receive a seal - go on to international to be judged? Do the new judges know what score they received at regional?

The judges have no idea what the images previously scored or if they had ever been judged previously.
The sealed images are returned to the maker after the District judging and the maker must send them on to the International Photographic Competition (IPC). If you fail to send the prints on to the IPC, the image does not receive a merit.
At the IPC, there are no numerical scores used - it's either a merit or a non accepted print. Prints that are received with Seals of Approval from one of the District judgings and those which are judged to be merits at the IPC are then sent to be judged for the Loan Collection and Showcase Album. An image can receive one of four classifications -
Not Accepted ---- (Print is not exhibited and is returned to maker - no merit)
Merit General Collection ---- (Print is returned to maker after exhibition and the image receives one exhibition merit)
Merit General Collection and inclusion in the Showcase Book ---- (Print is returned to maker after exhibition and the image receives one exhibition merit)
Loan Collection ---- (Print is permanently retained by PPA for inclusion in exhibitions and traveling collections - The image receives two exhibition merits)

Although I said prints, the same is true for digital entries... Referring to competition images as prints is just an old habit that I need to break.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
To clarify what Rick said, if an image has a seal, at IPC it goes directly to a loan judging panel. The only way the panel knows that it is a sealed print (and not one that was judged for acceptance at IPC) is if it shows up in front of a loan panel early on the first day of the judging. Because there is no way it would have had time to be judged in front of a regular panel yet. There is no prejudice for against a print that was already sealed. I have had a print (back when they actually scored at IPC) get an 80 and then go on to be chosen for loan collection. I have had a print get a 96 at affiliate competition and not go loan at IPC. Funny thing about that 80 print that went loan. It was the first time I ever broke a seal. The score went down but it still went loan so the gamble paid off.

Keith

Erin_L._Clark
03-30-2011, 01:22 AM
good to know- since I need to make some decisions for what goes on. :)

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
It was the first time I ever broke a seal.
Keith

What does that mean, Keith? I haven't heard that phrase before.

GregYager
03-30-2011, 02:44 AM
He changed something about the image when he entered it in IPC which means it wasn't the exact same as it was when he got the seal so therefore his seal was broken.

Rick_Massarini
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
What does that mean, Keith? I haven't heard that phrase before.

It means that he gave away the bird in the hand for a chance at the two in the bush.

He decided to not send in the sealed print and accept the sure single merit - he changed something in the image, reprinted the print, and sent the new unsealed print in to the IPC with the hopes that, with the changes, it would be good enough to merit at the IPC and then go Loan too.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I broke the seal because Dave Swoboda saw the image and asked me if he could reprint it for national. Dave didn't just print for anyone. You couldn't ask him to print for you, it was pretty much invitation only. So it was a huge honor for me that he wanted to print my work.

Keith

beekaone
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Okay, more questions this morning: since my prints did not merit at SEPPA, I can rework them and send them to IPC, right? Alternatively, I can change out the entries and kind of start over?
Also, for those of you who, like me are new to this, I'm watching some archived webinars that are a wealth of information about the whole process. Check out the archives in on-line education if you're interested.

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Okay, more questions this morning: since my prints did not merit at SEPPA, I can rework them and send them to IPC, right? Alternatively, I can change out the entries and kind of start over?

Yup - you can send all new prints, or rework these prints, or send them as-is. Just because they didn't merit on one panel doesn't mean they won't merit on another panel, remember. That's not "advice" per-se... but something to think about!

beekaone
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you, Steff! It's just that one of them was high enough for me to try to improve upon and resubmit. The others, mmmmmmmmmm-not-so-much.

Rick_Massarini
03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I broke the seal because Dave Swoboda saw the image and asked me if he could reprint it for national. Dave didn't just print for anyone. You couldn't ask him to print for you, it was pretty much invitation only. So it was a huge honor for me that he wanted to print my work.

Keith

And knowing Dave - he was probably right - and it probably went Loan - right ???